Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the typical weather like in Denver and Ouray during mid to late September?

Search

What's the typical weather like in Denver and Ouray during mid to late September?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Ouray for just one night on Sept 20 and staying for 5 days after that in Denver. Just wondering what clothes to prepare to pack. Thanks!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Ouray= Daytime should be sunny with temps around mid 60's. Nighttime will be pretty cool, mid 40's or less.

We had rain today here in SW CO area [sun is out now at 7 pm] and I can see snow in the LaPlatas [Durango area] on the higher peaks. Ouray must have had a dusting too. It has been much warmer the past few days, but we will be having our first frost any day now.

Layers are the way to go here in Colorado at this time of year. Early mornings are cool, mid to late day is the warmest and nights chilly.

I would figure on long sleeved shirt, a fleece or similar vest or jacket and jeans. Don't plan on shorts etc.

Denver is strange; could be cool or warm as it changes there frequently on a day to day basis.

Deb

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Deb is right about Denver weather - "strange" seems to be the way visitors describe it! Your best bet is to get a long-range forecast off the internet when you're ready to pack your suitcase. Snow is not out of the question, but certainly not the norm. Some of the best warm, dry beautiful weather of the year can be found in mid-September. It will be chilly at night and early in the day, so you'll need at least light jackets, but also wear layers so that when the sun heats up the temperature, you can take off layers as needed.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:18 AM

The others are correct. It is our change over season as we transition to winter. We are currently in a below average cool cycle but it could be very nice next week. It rarely gets cold and stays cold. Probability of snow in Denver is low but you might find some on the drive from Ouray to Denver. It will be a pretty drive through the mountains as the Aspen are charging.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All! I agree about Denver's weather being strange. I was there in mid April this year and the first 3 days were sunny and warm then overnight, in a matter of hours, we had snow! Very wierd indeed but I enjoy snow since we don't get them here in Houston - only hurricanes.

We just got back from Yellowstone/Teton and Montana/South Dakota area. We did layering then too so will pack similar things.

Many thanks again!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM

We who live here do not think the weather is strange but typical. This is high altitude, thin air, low humidity and we can have wide swings in weather. But it is normal. Just prepare for a little of everything.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM

"strange" in that it changes so much from day to day, temps, precip etc.

Today, here in SW Colorado, the sun is shining and it is 80 degrees!

Tomorrow - who knows?

Deb
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM

I am confused about the Denver weather. I keep hearing 300 days/year of sunshine - so when does it snow with all that sunshine - does it snow or rain?

Elaine
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM

With Denver, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. I believe that is how they get 300 days of sunshine each year - storms generally don't last all day.

I was there in May or June last year and the day I was scheduled to fly home, a big hail storm came in. Hail was a couple inches deep and at about 2 in the afternoon, it was so dark that the streetlights came on. Did not bode well for getting home that day. But an hour later, the sun was out and on my drive to the airport around 5 or 6, other than a bit of dampness, you would have never known there had been a storm.

The day before, it had been sunny without any hint of storms and the day before that, we had lightning like I had never seen before.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM

We don't have the long, gray, overcast days that are typical of the midwest especially in winter. We don't have a lot of rain. And snow comes infrequently -- a day here and a day there.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM

As we always say, "bring layers". September is ordinarily very nice weather. If wet weather comes in, it won't last for long, probably. Enjoy your visit!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Hot and cold.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

just checked out the weather forecast and it looks fantastic! Indeed, packed alot of layers. Thanks for all the advice!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Elaine - snowstorms are usually a 24hr event & then it is sunny. Hardly ever rains, those are usually very quick to pass. Bring sunscreen.