What's the rain doing to the color ?

Sep 27th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

What's the rain doing to the color ?

My wife and I fly into Providence on Tuesday and then we will spend three days driving up the coast before turning west from above Calais to New Hampshire and on to Vermont. WE plan on taking a route that will encompass highways 27 and 16 in Maine and then take the Kancamangas highway towards Stowe. I have been watching the weather and it looks warm and rainy. Has this slowed the color or causing the leaves to drop ?
Sep 28th, 2009, 02:55 AM

Yesterday's rain didn't seem too heavy in the Concord NH area. Since a lot of leaves are still green, they are hanging on tight. Swamp maples started to turn more than a week ago. A tree next to our driveway is almost leafless. A sugar maple in the field is just starting to color up. I think you chose good dates for the central VT/NH but I think I heard peak color in Stowe is now/last week. I would check some local foliage news for the Stowe area. Also, Oct 4-11 is the Fryeburg Fair in Maine which will add to the traffic around the Conway area this coming weekend.
Sep 28th, 2009, 03:11 AM

I live on the other side of the mountain from Stowe and would say the foliage is now more mid than peak in this area. I don't think too many leaves came down with the rain over the weekend.
This is a good link for suggested places to see the best color in VT
http://www.foliage-vermont.com/
Sep 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM

I'm on the coast and the wind took some of the leaves off. The rain won't really bother the trees and their color, but the wind will ruin it. Let's hope we don't have anything to ruin our foliage! We need the tourists and we deserve a really nice fall....especially after our rain soaked spring. It looks like the crown of Maine is approaching peak foliage, but in the rest of the state, there is still plenty of color to come.
Here's Maine's foliage link; good idea Vtraveler!
http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage
Sep 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM

I am in Southern Maine and it is really just getting going a bit!