3 day fall colour trip

Search

3 day fall colour trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 day fall colour trip

coming to Vermont on Sep 30th for 3 days. Is it too early for peak colours? I had planned for VT and NH. I'm flexible, would traveling to Maine help? How is Acadia. My main purpose is photographing fall colours. What's the best option VT/NH or NH/ME or ME/VT. if ME where?
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's still about a week early to accurately predict but right now they're saying northern Vermont, northern New Hampshire and western Maine look colorful for Sept 30/Oct 1.

Not sure where in Vermont you plan to start., but I would make my way up towards the Littleton/Franconia area of New Hampshire and then over to the Bethel/Rangeley Lakes area of Western Maine. The Sebago Lakes/Naples region in Maine would be another possibility but google for "foliage report" starting maybe Sept 25.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 02:11 AM

You might want to check out this website by a New England photographer I met via Yankee Magazine. He's nuts about fall and foliage. http://www.jeff-foliage.com/

I agree with clarkgriswold's suggestion for northern NH. I'm not familiar with the Bethel area. But what I think is key is the setting and atmosphere, not just the amount of color in the leaves. We're having very foggy mornings which would provide interesting shots. Right now there's an occasional tree in full color. Not a lot of color in swamp maples right now but that color tends to be a dull red and early. This is Concord NH area. Was up just past Plymouth NH last weekend. Saw one tree along I93 in full color. There are also some areas with colorful grasses along roadsides. All in all, there's no single peak color. It's going to be different in different areas depending on elevation and latitude etc. I recently asked some Conway NH area residents about color along the Kancamagus. They pointed out that east and west ends are different at the same time.

Make sure you have a Delorme atlas and gazetteer for NH and VT so you know where all the covered bridges and waterfalls are located.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 08:26 AM

A few years back we stayed at Smugglers Notch in Vermont, about 30 minutes north of Stowe. We arrived on October 6 and the colors were beautiful. Two days later it rained at night and although it was still beautiful, the colors had dulled.

You just never know with Mother Nature.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 08:39 AM
cw

This is a pretty good interactive foliage prediction map. Of course, it is not guaranteed but it will give you a sense of the foliage. Looks like VT and NH are your best bets.

http://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 08:41 AM
bm

What kind of scenery are you looking for? If you are looking for an agrarian landscape (farms, fields, rolling hills etc) then go to Vermont. If you are looking for a much more forested and rugged landscape you'll want NH or ME. Agree with others that you want to be in very northern VT & NH and NW Maine. It will still be too early for good color at Acadia NP.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I've delayed and added more days. Will arrive on Oct 5th for 5 days. Plan to stay in VT for 2 days and NH for 2 days. For VT staying in Montpelier a better option? For NH looking at either Lincoln or North Conway for hiking white mountains. Please advice...

Thanks

Kannan
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 01:37 AM

North Conway probably has the worst traffic of any place in NH although Main Street and view is very pretty. I would not stay there on a weekend. You are arriving at peak tourist season. Keep in mind nights are in the 50s so late afternoons cool off. Be prepared when hiking.

I like Montpelier. The Waitsfield/Warren area is pretty rural. But, I think the farmland on the west side of the Green Mountains is much more open so you can get some distance shots of farm buildings. i.e. Charlotte area. If you get to Warren store which has terrific sandwiches (not many restaurants in area), it's right next to a small rocky gorge. Walk out behind the store to see slightly bigger rocky gorge. Very interesting rock. Rivers have been pretty shallow this summer. Lots of expose rock and sand bars.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 03:51 AM

Montpelier would work as a base. You will have to see where the peak color is. Late September/early October is usually peak in northern VT, especially the Northeast Kingdom. I don't think color will be as good west of the Green Mts.

This festival features events in different small towns on different days
https://www.nekchamber.com//media/2015-nek-fff.pdf
Other churches will have church suppers, too,
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 07:26 AM

For a NH hike I always recommend Mt. Major overlooking Lake Winnepesaukee:

http://img02.deviantart.net/7b83/i/2...em-d828dyp.jpg

Look at the Bayside Inn or the Belknap Point Motel
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

10 days since my last post. How is it looking in NH? I believe the color change is coming late this year but how late? I will be in NH from Oct 7 to 9. thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 09:26 PM

7 to 9 is a bit early for most of New Hampshire but if you stick to the northern areas originally mentioned you should be peak-ish.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Color would normally be around peak this week in north central VT but it is late this year and really just starting. I think northern NH will probably be pretty good by next week.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Was in Maine last weekend and saw a little bit of color in different areas. At home near Concord NH we had a light frost so that helps bring on color. It varies in different areas. Drove thru PA uesterday and was surprised to see a lot of color along I81. A friend with a vacation home in northern NH used to say it could chamge over night. I think it's a slow progression. You will definitely see some color but it might not be overall vivid ...until you drive a few more miles.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 10:28 AM

I,m in Western Maine near Limerick...45 minutes from Sebago Lake area, and we barely have any color yet. I think foliage color is going to be really late here this year. Usually our peak is around Columbus Day, but it isn't looking like it will be at peak by then. We've had a very warm September. Not enough cold nights yet to help the foliage set on its colors.