What's the BEST hotel in Pittsburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have to go, I want to stay at the best hotel.
Also, is there anything really interesting to occupy a Sunday afternoon?
Thanks!!!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:31 AM

The William Penn downtown and are you going during football season? Go to a Steelers game!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:32 AM
Dan

I think you'll enjoy Pittsburgh. I did!

Omni William Penn is a great old hotel.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

I'll be going in the next month.
It's does look like the Omni is the place to stay.
What is there to do? Is there any cool little towns to drive to? I am a history buff and enjoy local "flavor"
I want to hit a good Pittsburgh restaurant, too. But I only have Sunday to sight see and dine out.
Thanks again!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:46 AM

Sunday brunch at the William Penn is fabulous. I love science museaums, and the one in Pittsburgh is on my top 3. Their OmniMax Theater is best. I am not an art buff, but even I loved the Andy Worhol (sp?) museam. The folks at the hotel directed me to restaurants based on my mood. I was not disappointed once, but my favorite dining location was Mt. Washington.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:57 AM

Head up to Shadyside. It's a nice neighborhood which has some neat little shops and restaurants.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:06 AM

I'd say go to the Westin William Penn. Its a very elegant hotel and the lobby is beautiful with chandeliers hanging in several places.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:08 AM

well, the william penn is really nice, but I prefer the renaissance !

and depending on what you are in town for, the apple tree bed and breakfast in shadyside is really cute too.

Celine
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I see an Omni William Penn and a Westin Pittsburgh and a Renaissance Pittsburgh but none with William Penn in the name.
Which is nicest or the three hotels above?
I was under the impression that it was the Omni with the nice old lobby...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:53 AM

Travel Pro,

Most of the hotels in Pgh are 3 diamond, except the new Renaissance which is 4. Here is a link to the website--when you get there, click on video tour to see the hotel a little more up close. I haven't stayed here yet, but after viewing it, this will be my choice the next time I go into downtown for an overnight.

http://www.marriott.com/epp/default....rshaCode=PITBR

Personally, I find everyone always recommends the William Penn because it is the "grand" old hotel, it is now an Omni, used to be Westin, but I found it to be overrated with smaller than average rooms, and I've eaten both dinner and brunch there and found it "ok".

The Westin used to be Double Tree. Rooms there are fine, it's an average hotel and this hotel would even be my choice over the William Penn.

Here are a few other websites you can check out for more info:

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/
http://www.pittsburgh.net/
http://www.pittsburgh-downtown.com/

Carnegie Science Center is interesting to visit, you could catch a River Boat cruise from Station Square, just across the river, or go over for dinner or brunch at the Grand Concourse and window shop around Station Square afterwards. Southside for diverse ethnic food offerings from italian to spanish, including various saloons w/bands, etc. Papparazzi (Italian Rest.) used to have jazz. Also, head up to Mt. Washington, if nothing but to take in the view of the city, or dine on Mt. Washington if you are looking for upscale dining with a view. Also can take the Duquense Incline down. Take a walk across the Roberto Clemente bridge just to see the new stadiums, you can walk along the path behind the stadiums and then along the north shore for miles. Of course, you can check for cultural happenings at the Benedum, Heinz Hall and take in an afternoon of theatre as well on a Sunday.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:45 AM

We were just out there for a couple of days about a month ago. Only one day was decent weather. Did the Duquesne Incline, and a river tour on the good day. Go to the bottom (Pittsburgh) album at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall . Stayed at the downtown Hilton, incidentally. Great view of the Point state park.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Though the Wm Pennis a great hotel I prefer a room on the concierge floor of the Point Park Hilton, overlooking Point State parf, the convergence of the 3 rivers, the stadiums ..fantatic..

Walk from hotel toward the Strip District for a lovely Sunday afternoon, stop at the John Heinz Historical center along the way.

Take the incline to Mt washington in the evening for dinner high above the city..ask at the hotel for the best resto there now...near the bottom of the incline an old railraod station has been converted to a lovely arcade, there is a good restauant there that overlooks the river...sorry the exact name escapes me.

Here is a website for the strip Distict..for a real Pittsburgh treat , stop at Premanti's for one of their famous sandwiches for lunch!!

http://www.neighborsinthestrip.com/