What's kear Kansas city?

Search

What's kear Kansas city?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's kear Kansas city?

My wife and I a going to fulfill a 30 year dream, and fly our light plane from Calif. to the east coast. One of our fuel stops will need to be near Kansas City. Should we stay a few days? What's good to see?
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM

Kansas City has always pleasantly surprised my friends that have come here to visit me...from coast to coast. I know coasters tend to think of it as flyover country, but, it's a really lovely place to live.

Do you know where you will be fueling? What are your interests? and what time of year are you talking about? Winter wouldn't probably give you the best time, unless of course it is at the holidays when the plaza lights etc make the area quite enchanting. Fall, Spring, and Summer are great

People will of course tell you about the great bbq. Depending on visitors I might visit the art museums, and of course the Country Club Plaza, a few historic spots like the Truman library in Independence and the pocket park where you can stand where Lewis and Clark stood. So really, a bit depends on what interests you.

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:44 AM

When would you be flying through KC? Probably landing at the Wheeler Airport, downtown? There is a Connie museum right at the airport, with loads of memorabilia from early commercial flying, and a hangar with the Constellation.

The WWI museum is getting rave reviews, and near that is Union Station.

Not sure what your interests are, but you could easily fill a day or two here.

Nelson Atkins Art Museum, is just off the Plaza.

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:47 AM

KC has a wide variety of good restaurants, including the BBQ that the community is famous for. The town is green and lush and known for its many fountains.

Museums unique to the metro area include the National World War One Museum, Steam Boat Arabia, Negro Leagues Museum, Truman Library & Home, and the Kansas City Jazz Museum. There are are also major art museums.

Depending on your interests, within a hour's drive there are many interesting communities worth of a full or half day visit.

Assuming that your trip is in the next few weeks, there are also many seasonal events such as a theme park sized rennisance festival, NASCAR, and the world championship of BBQ at the American Royal. The Royal continues into November with major livestock and equestrian competitions as well as a rodeo.

Keith
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:53 AM

I was wowed by KC when I went on business. Never knew it was the city of fountains. Very pretty.
http://www.kcfountains.org/education/diduknow.htm

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 04:23 PM

I'm originally from KC. If you want to really see it, you need to go to Arthur Bryant's on 18th Street & Brooklyn in KCMO. It's in the hood but in the daytime you'll be fine. It's the real deal though as far as foods you need to eat before you die. The Jazz Museum and Negore Leagues Baseball Museum are close to there at 18th and Vine and they are pretty cool. If you go on the first Friday of the month, you can attend First Fridays which is when all the artists open up their studios and people can come in and look and buy. It's in the Crossroads area which is around 18th and Baltimore and there'll be galleries for a mile or radius around that area, no cost anywhere. For more touristy stuff, go to the Plaza and I would reccomend a Chiefs game as they are considered the best NFL experience you can have by some but they are so bad this year, it may not be that fun. But I'm sure you'll still find tailgaters out there who will be willing to give you some wings or something.