Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's all the fuss about regarding registration?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Flynn

I post on various websites involving travel, food, health and other subjects that interest me. I always use my real first name with either a Hotmail or Yahoo e-mail address. There is absolutely no problem with spam. If this occurs, I can easily get a new Hotmail or Yahoo address.

In general, I take more peoplre more seriously who post with a name; whether's it's real name like Bob or Barbara, as opposed to names like 'x' 'xxx' etc. When a Fodor's poster such as Suzanne, Owen, Nina, or Brian, for example, provide meaningful information, I know from their past posts who they are. There's an identity involved and after awhile, you start to get to 'know' people on the boards. However, people who post with 'x' usually write something that's troll-like, or they chastise someone for something that's not even travel-related. This dilutes the very nature of Fodor's. It's a fun site and flaming or insulting other people is, IMO, wrong.

I'm very glad that registration will now be required. It will not stop all trolls and flaming but at least it will hopefully slow it down.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Sue

Flynn, I think I've been out of the loop; will registration finally be required on this forum?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Sue

Ok - I'm an idiot - I just read the note from Fodor's! Sorry I didn't see it sooner, thanks anyway! Hope the registration will cut down on the troll posts!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Flynn

I hope so too. It's distracting to me when I'm reading a subject and then lots of irrelevant stuff, insults and flaming are thrown in by people named 'x' - it just throws off the whole topic and then it's difficult to get back on track.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:17 PM
r-travels

Flynn, I agree with you about taking people more seriously when they use some form of identity - even if it's not a real address. I immediately think of all the great posters too (and want to add Dan Williams to the list). Trying to keep my identity somewhat, I registered with a screen name of rb_travelerxATyahoo I've not had any problem with spam, and if I did, like you, I'd just open another new email account.