Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What would you budget for a week(ish) in Alaska?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a work trip to Vancouver coming up in August, and thought I would take advantage of being so far north to add in a vacation to Alaska. My brother would likely be joining me. Both of us really want to go, but can't spend a ton due to other financial commitments coming up, so I'm trying to get an idea of what would be a realistic budget (excluding airfare) for a middle of the road-level self-guided tour. (I'm looking at cruises too, but I think self-tour would be more our style.) I've looked at Glacier National Park, Kenai, and Denali as major stops on the itinerary, but the trip just came up recently so I haven't pinned much down past that (plus I wanted to make sure it was feasible before putting a lot of effort into planning!).

For hotels and food, we don't need anything fancy - maybe one sit-down meal a day, hotels that are clean and relatively comfortable but not the lap of luxury. Holiday Inn sort of places are totally fine, as are b&bs or whatever else (except camping!). For rental car, my brother is 6'3" so nothing too tiny, but otherwise as long as it's automatic I think we're good. Any tips on seeing Alaska on a budget in high season? Your input is very much appreciated!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

I should add that I've never been to Alaska (in case that wasn't obvious!). My brother has been, but it was several years ago for a wedding, so he hasn't done the typical "tourist" activities and had free lodging while he was there.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 03:12 AM

The car rental is going to be a big expense. In 2004 our cheapest night was a $100/night b&b (cash only) that was a room over a garage in Seward with a bagel and OJ breakfast. This was a last minute booking so it was hard to find a room anyplace so I learned the hard way that I should have carried around a list of recommended places. If you look at the website for Alaska Garden Gate B&B, the current rates are about $150 for the largest luxurious room with a fantastic home-cooked breakfast that we booked back them (it also had a tiny kitchenette). According to the website, a smaller room with 2 beds and a shared bath is around $100. Prices are all over the place so need to do some research to find good value. There aren't many hotels outside of Anchorage. Another last minute booking found us in a somewhat isolated cabin near Talkeetna but for $125 we had an entire 3 bedroom cabin (no breakfast). We bought some food at a very small market to have for supper and breakfast but, again, we would have been a lot smarter to stop at the large supermarket in Wasilla. Always carry a cooler even if it's a simple insulated bag. Also pack basic utensils like plastic dinnerware, some large plastic bags, roll of paper towels, and a sharp knife. It will also help with budget breakfast and lunches. Keep in mind that restaurants are also few and far between outside Anchorage and the large towns. Figure at least $50 for a modest sit down meal for two. Probably more like $75 if you eat at a place like Ray's in Seward http://www.rayswaterfrontak.com/ (see the menu for prices) You can take a look at the menu for the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage to see what gourmet pizzas will cost you. We ate out several times in the town of Kenai and, frankly, preferred the meals at Ski-Mo's which is more of a take-out place. Recent reviews however say there's new owners and the food and service are not good. You'll find good sandwiches and salad bars at large supermarkets in large towns. If you plan ahead and your room has a microwave, you can do better with breakfasts if you've picked up something at a supermarket. Always carry bottled water with you and buy it at a large store.
We did not buy the book that contains coupons for discounted tourist attractions but check it out. It might be worthwhile if you are going to do enough activities. Biggest splurge that you shouldn't miss would be a glacier/wildlife cruise out of Seward (it includes lunch). If your budget can handle it, a short flightseeing would be terrific. Our best value visit was probably Independence Mine north of Wasilla. Some activities cost nothing such as driving up the Skyline Drive that overlooks the town of Homer to enjoy the view and watching for eagles. (Homer is full of them.) Bring binnoculars. It's a long ride between Anchorage and Denali. Wasilla will be your last chance for a large supermarket. Except for Talkeetna, you won't find much besides gas station/convenience stores along the way.

Although I couldn't give you a budget, I hope the hints will help keep your costs down.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 03:36 AM

We did a week cruise and about 8 days on land prior to in 2008 - and I just did a little fast internet search to see if prices are remember are still current.

First, car. On kayak, the cheapest car I could find is about $100/day. Price did not go up much for a bigger car.

Hotel - I operated on the assumption that you would stay in Anchorage, Seward (or other place on Kenai Peninsula) and then at Denali - roughly 1/3 time in each (Anchorage gets that much time because of flights in/out eating up a night). Hotels in Anchorage are going to run $150-200/night. Seward a bit less - perhaps $125-150. Denali is all over the price range, since there is a luxury hotel and basic cabins - but even the basic cabins are going to run about $150/night (all per room, not per person).

Meals - budget an amount similar to what meals would cost in a large city and go from there. Everything in Alaska is more expensive - even McDonalds costs about 20% more. So you decide what mix of budget meals, picnics, real meals you prefer.

Other costs - beyond the obvious airfare, gas for rental car, etc - costs to do stuff. White water rafting, Seward boat/wildlife tour, trip into Denali - each can run $50-100. If you want to do anything involving a flight (glacier landing, plane to see bears eating salmon, etc) obviously cost goes up.

There are obviously ways to spend more/spend less - but this is a basic framework of costs. That said, try to go if you possibly can.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to both of you for your input and suggestions! I had looked online at various things, but when you're flying blind it's hard to know if the restaurants/hotels you're looking at are representative of the "norm." This is really helpful and will let us talk about whether we can go this year. Anyone else with input, I would love to hear more!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:54 AM

I think dfrostnh and gail have given you good information. Think about Hawaii and you will get the idea of Alaska prices during the summer. The TourSaver book http://www.toursaver.com/ can save you some money, but since you are going late in the season, try to get one on Ebay or elsewhere.

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 07:23 AM

Couple of other tips ... the 'budget' way to see Denali (if you aren't camping) is to stay at Healy, a mining town about 10 miles north of the entrance.

For car rentals, wise to check prices with one of the umbrella sites like kayak or priceline.com at both the airport and off-airport, because there is an extra tax (8%? 11%? I forget, they have so many taxes up there) for airport pick-up. Usually it's a bit cheaper to pick up the car on Spenard, which is the first cross-street you hit coming out of the airport. There are Budget and Thrifty car rentals on Spenard, for example.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional tips! Right now I'm estimating $3000 for rental car, lodging, and one sit-down meal a day (for both of us over ten days). With gas and activities added in, I'm thinking around $2000/person total, plus airfare. Does that sound about right? My brother is buying a house this summer and I may be going to Italy next year, in which case I need to save up for that (I'm checking on how serious my Italy travel buddy is, but we've been talking about it for awhile). So if that total is correct, Alaska may need to wait another year or two. But I'm not giving up yet!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 06:14 AM

There is lots of good information here and in the archives. I'd add invest in a Milepost guide. This book gives mile by mile information on Alaska's sights, gas, lodging, food, etc. and was very useful on our extended Alaska tour. Buy things like memory cards for your camera, and other basic things you need for the trip before you get to Alaska. Everything costs more there, but you can manage with your budget if you plan ahead and make picnics from supermarket fare. You'll love Alaska!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Buy things like memory cards for your camera, and other basic things you need for the trip before you get to Alaska. Everything costs more there

True words, but it brings to mind one more tip ... there is a Wal-Mart in Anchorage and another in Wasilla (just off the highway on the way to Denali, so very convenient if heading north from ANC). So if you forgot something or are stocking up on staples or snacks these Wal-Marts are good inexpensive places to shop.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the additional tips! I think I'll be sticking to Canada on this trip; airfare from Vancouver to Alaska was over $400 on my dates, and that with the other expenses of the trip didn't make financial sense for me. I think I'll be seeing Vancouver, Victoria and hopefully Banff instead, working around my conference. BUT Alaska is definitely on my list to visit sooner rather than later, and these will be extremely helpful in planning ahead for that!