Search

One week in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Alaska

We're heading to Anchorage for a wedding this August. We're planning to spend a day at the State Fair on Sunday (day after the wedding) then head to Denali the following day. It's all up in the air from there.

Is there anything to do between Palmer and Denali on Monday? We'd be driving toward Denali so that we could enter the park Tuesday morning.

Is one day in Denali enough, or should we plan on more than one day?

And how should we spend the remaining few days? We haven't decided when to head home yet. The main factor is the cost of a rental car and hotel nights--this is going to have to be a budget trip. Is it worth it to consider going down to the Kenai Peninsula, or should we just spend a day or two around Anchorage? I'd love to see some orcas and/or belugas, but we also want to be able to relax and not be driving constantly.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 02:00 AM

The road south between Anchorage and Seward is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. You could do a boat trip out of Whittier but Whittier wasn't our favorite town (one way toll tunnel into a town that was originally a secret military base). We've done the longest boat trip out of Seward to see glaciers etc. Seward is a nice little town and very walkable. I liked the sciene center. This is only a couple of hours from Anchorage and along the way there is more to see and do.

I know Denali is famous but it's a long drive that can get boring. You can stop in Talkeetna but otherwise even a gas station is very rare along the way. Perhaps let the weather help you decide. If it's stormy/rough, you might want to skip a boat trip in favor of doing something else. But on a small boat getting close enough to a humpback to smell whale breath or watching the synchronized swimming/diving of orcas, I would make that a priority. We were never on the Seward Hwy at the right time to see any whales from the look out point but you might be there at the right time to see salmon fishing on Bird Creek that goes under Seward Hwy.

To help with the budget, try to do breakfast and lunch or dinner on your own. There are large supermarkets in the big towns and Anchorage has plenty of take out places. Eating out in AK is expensive. We thought some of the small family friendly take-out places were better than nicer restaurants. Our b&b experiences ranged from wonderful home-cooked breakfast to a bagel, coffee and OJ in someone's spare room over the garage.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 02:48 AM

Unfortunately, Denali and Kenai Peninsula are in opposite direction from Anchorage - but I think worth doing both. We had a week prior to cruise a few years ago. Took 1 day to drive to Denali and then spent 3 nights there (2 would have been enough). Then long drive back towards Anchorage, spent 1 night, and then a couple of nights in Seward. At advice of those here we did not tour rest of Kenai - and think it was a good choice. Went to marine life center, glacier and did a day boat trip to see glaciers and sea life - but also just spent some time walking around the port and feeling like we were in Alaska.

Unfortunately, budget and Alaska are almost impossible to use in same sentence. Everything - from hotels, car rentals, even a cup of coffee is very expensive in Alaska due to very short tourist season and difficulty of shipping anything. Think same costs as you would associate with a large city for hotels and meals.

We rationalized cost by saying that we would likely not be making the trip again and after paying for airfare, we might as well experience as much as we could.

Anchorage itself didn't do much for us - it is a small city with not much that felt authentic-Alaska. Husband and adult son did a day hike right outside the city (and learned that the day after some hikers had an encounter with a bear that had learned that hikers' daypacks were good sources of snacks)
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM

All good advice so far.

I might disagree slightly about Anchorage. While it's not my favorite place, you may want to consider spending a little time in the area, especially if you're trying to save money. There's an Alaska history museum in town that has some interesting exhibits and replicas. And a short ride outside of town there's a replica of a Native village (can't remember the name) that's staffed by Natives who answer questions. Also, they have some cultural events relating to Native life.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help! We have lots to think about. I'm hoping we can fit it all in. We're going to go ahead and book airfare and figure out how much we can comfortably fit in from there. I may be back with more questions later.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 09:58 AM

Last year we went to Alaska in August. I booked our tickets in January and was glad I did. Airfare continued to rise. We were there for a week - arrived on Friday afternoon and flew back late Friday night (early Saturday morning our time). We were able to do a lot in a short amount of time. Another note, when I first booked a rental car, it was over $500 for a week. I just kept checking and finally was able to rent a car for about $350 with taxes. You can rent cheaper from a location away from the airport, but I didn't think it was worth the hassle.

I purchased the Northern Lights book for $60 and took advantage of a lot of deals.

We spent 5 nights at B & B's. I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor before booking. I booked them in March, so your choices may not be so good now that it is late June. We had good experiences at all of them. Didn't have a hot traditional breakfast at any of them. It is common now for food to be left in your room. Only at one, in Seward, did we eat with our hosts, and have a lot of choices, including one hot item each morning.

Before heading north to Denali,we stopped in Wasilla and bought a cooler & stocked up on supplies at the Wal-Mart & Safeway. Your last chance to buy things at a reasonable cost.

On Saturday we drove to Denali, stopping at Talkeetna. It was a neat town and we had lunch at the Talkeetna Roadhouse. A lot of food for the price and got a yummy dessert for the road. Suggest you fill up your car at the edge of Talkeetna. Last place you can find gas at a "reasonable price". Gas near Denali is crazy expensive.

The drive to Denali is beautiful. We had a buy 1 get 1 free coupon for a hotel at Denali. The weather wasn't great. We took the bus trip into Denali, but due to the rain, didn't go as far into the park as we had planned. We ate dinner both evenings at a pizza place (can't remember the name), but it was good and ample food for the price. Bought yummy treats at a place recommended on trip advisor. Got sandwiches from Subway for the day on the bus in Denali.

As we drove back south toward the Kenai peninsula, we stopped at the Alaska State Fair-I don't think it opens until noon, but check to be sure. We left around 4:00. It was a neat place to visit and the day was gorgeous. Compared to our state fair, it was very small. There are very few animals. Our state fair has hundreds. The huge vegetables were fascinating. We spent the night in Palmer. We drove out to the old gold mine late in the afternoon for a side trip.

Got up very early to drive to Seward. A fabulous drive and the sun was shining. Went on the Major Marine 8 hour boat tour. It was a beautiful day. This was the high-light of our trip. Wish we had taken the longer trip. Visited the Seward Sea-Life Center the next day and enjoyed our visit (had a coupon)

After the day of the boat tour in Seward, the weather wasn't good. Rained the rest of our trip, heavy at times. We wanted to go to Homer, but the weather was bad and we didn't go. Saving it for our next visit. As we headed back toward Anchorage, we stopped several places. We took a short trip on the Alaska railroad. Had hoped to go rafting, but it was cold and rainy. We stopped at Portage Glacier - a nice visitor center and the restaurant nearby had a good lunch. We drove through the tunnel at Whittier just to see it. It is fascinating. Had the weather been nice, we would have probably taken a glacier cruise at Whittier. We stopped at the Wildlife Center near Portage. The grizzlies were playing in a pond and were fun to watch. We took the aerial tram at Alyeska. Would have been better if the weather wasn't so crummy. We ate dinner in town at the Silver Tip Grill and it was good.

We didn't get back to Anchorage in time to go to some of the places I wanted to visit. We took a walk on the coastal trail and enjoyed that. Luckily, there were other walkers too. I had read about bears sometimes bothering walkers.

Our trip was fabulous and we hope to go back in 2014 and have a couple more days. Be prepared for rain. I had read that it often rains in Alaska. It rained at least part of every day we were there except two.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. Alaska is unlike any place you have ever visited in the US.
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 05:52 AM

To do Denali and the Kenai Fjords you will have quite a bit of driving, but you could certainly do it no problem. The driving to Seward is so scenic, you forget you're driving anyway.

I believe you absolutely need 2 days in Denali, or at very least one and a half. One full day to do the shuttle bus (I found going to Eielson Visitor Centre)was incredible). Then a second day to look around and see the Sled Dogs (so cute) and the sled dog demonstration (all free from Denali Visitor Centre), plus have a look around the visitor centre and do some of your own hiking and moose searching with your own car for the first fifteen miles (a highlight - just pullover whenever you spot animals).

Day 1 Drive to Denali
Day 2 Shuttle Bus in Denali
Day 3 Sled dogs etc Depart Denali after lunch (stopover at Talkeetna for an hour or so is worth it but may be too much driving)
Day 4 Night at Hatcher Pass B&B in Palmer (visit Independance Mine State Historical Park nearby if time allows) or just go into Palmer for dinner.
Day 5 Do the incredibly scenic drive to Seward (leave early and stop at Portage Lake/Glacier for a look around). Also stop at Alaska Wildlife Conservation Centre on the way - it is good. Have a wander around Seward and watch otters playing in harbour.
Day 6 - Do Kenai Fjords 8.5-9hour National Park Tour - the marine wildlife is amazing.
Day 7 - Do the drive back to Anchorage.

If I was to do Alaska again, with only a week, that is the trip I would do.

Oh no....the wedding, nearly forgot You need to add another day or two in there somewhere!

To avoid being rushed and if you can't add another day or two, then I would suggest doing one of the following two alternatives:

There are other alternatives: Alternative 1: such as spending all your time around the Kenai Peninsula and doing Seward (incl Exit Glacier and Kenai Fjords), Cooper Landing (rafting the emerald green Kenai River is a treat) and/or Homer.

OR,Alternative 2: do Denali and also drive the stunning Glenn Highway to Matanuska Glacier and stay in the area plus Palmer and the Independence Mine Park plus musk ox in Palmer.

If you are interested I have written some articles and posted pictures of my trip to Alaska (Road Trip which included Denali, Palmer, Kenai Fjords) at: www.dreamhorsemedia.com/travel/

I absolutely love Alaska and can't wait to go again. As for Anchorage....well, while Anchorage may have its charms, for me it could not even hope to compete with the gorgeous Kenai Fjords and the unforgettable Denali. Whatever option you choose though, you will have a great time I'm sure.
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 06:12 AM

Musk Ox arm in Palmer - a unique experience
http://muskoxfarm.org/
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We're going later this month, so eavesdropping, and grateful for your recommendations. Cheshirecatt, is there any strategy required or recommended for using the shuttlebus in Denali?
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I spent some time sightseeing before a trip to Fairbanks last September, and saw Kenai Fjords/Seward and Denali in ~5 days. I spent half a day in Anchorage, hiking Flattop Mountain in the morning, with spectacular views of Anchorage and the surrounding area, but it is quite steep at the top.

That afternoon I drove down to Seward. Check on timing for the bore tides, it didn't work out for me, but would be cool to see! http://www.alaska.org/advice/alaska-bore-tide

The next day I took a cruise out to the Kenai Fjords (I think I opted for the 6-hour cruise - it takes you out to see a glacier close up). I drove back to Anchorage that evening and dropped off my rental car.

The next morning I took the train to Denali. I would strongly consider the train as opposed to driving. Although it seems expensive, you are not paying for the rental car/gas for three days, and you get to sit back and enjoy the scenery.

I spent a day and a half in Denali. The first day I took the shuttle in to Eielson Visitor Center. The second day I hiked near the main entrance and saw the sled dog exhibit, then caught my train to Fairbanks that afternoon. I think the train going back to Anchorage leaves Denali at noon, but if you're an early riser you can still get a bit in that morning.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

The train also goes down to Seward, and I believe they plan the day-cruises to coincide with the train schedule, so you could do Seward in only a day if you needed to.

So, stretching that out a little bit, you can definitely see it all in a week, with a little breathing room!
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Dave,

I have put information regarding the shuttle in denali in my Denali article:
http://www.dreamhorsemedia.com/travel
If you don't have time to go through that, here is the link to
Book the green shuttle bus online:
http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi...servations.htm

I would book it online if at all possible and take the earliest departure. Take note of any sections that you would like to explore on foot. Definitely stop at Eielson Visitor Centre. On the way back, get off the bus to hike the Park Road at the area you most liked the look of (around Polychrome is gorgeous). Then when ready, flag down the bus to get back. Just be sure to check the bus times so you don't miss flagging down the last bus. But hiking the Park Road is so worth it, even if it is just a short hike.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM

I agree with Cheshirecatt to "Book the green shuttle bus online: taking the earliest departure. Definitely stop at Eielson Visitor Centre." If the mountain is out there are great views from the visitor center, and usually right before the visitor center grizzlies are spotted often in that region. We didn't go all the way to Wonder Lake because we were there in June (and skeeters were said to be a problem) but supposedly the mosquitoes are not a problem in July or later. Our bus drive, 2 years ago was a school bus driver during the school year, she gave such an awesome tour, but I can't remember her name. ENJOY!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 07:53 PM

Wow this thread is throwing my imagination into overdrive. I just today decided to go on a cruise up to Whittier in early September and it seems I should take advantage of this great opportunity to see some of Alaska on the ground. I will spend 5 days. Now just to make it all fit!
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Cheshirecatt and deladeb:
We booked the 6:45am shuttle for Wonder Lake by phone from the airport on July 18. Everything worked out great, except the weather on July 25. We were dressed and ready for some moderate hiking, but put it off when we saw how soaked some of the earlier hikers were already. Nothing was visible from Eielson, so no McKinley views. And, yes, there are mosquitoes aplenty at Wonder Lake, even in late July. However, "100-proof" DEET works very well.

On the positive side, we saw and photographed three grizzly bears, several moose, numerous caribou, and Dahl sheep. They all seem to like bad weather. Our driver, Ned Leary, was very personable, knowledgeable and informative, although he confessed to being "only a bus driver, not a naturalist." And the scenery from the park road was incredible! Wish we had another day to spend in the area.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Dave_Ohio, Glad you enjoyed Denali. We just returned from a Voyage of the Glaciers Cruise. It was our first cruise and we loved it. No mosquitoes were spotted but it may have been because of the breeze.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 10:42 PM

Dave_Ohio

It's a shame Eielson was clouded over. But its great you got to see some beautiful scenery from the park road and all the magnificent wildlife.

I must say I absolutely fell in love with all the moose.