What welcome awaits in Miami?

Nov 14th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Pippa

What welcome awaits in Miami?

We are travelling to Miami for a vacation in December from London, England. What sort of welcome can we expect? Are US citizens in a frame of mind to welcome holiday makers? do you think we will be viewed as nuisances at this sad time or will people be pleased to see us?

Nov 14th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Patrick

They will be very pleased to see you, fear not. And I don't mean this to be sarcastic, but they will be especially glad to see your money. Things have been pretty slow in Florida recently, but the tourist industry is out to make you feel welcome. You will have the benefit of fewer crowds as well. Welcome to the States and to Florida.

Nov 14th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Liam

Pippa,

In my experience, Miami salsas to its own beat and is one of the few cities which doesn't allow a shadow of gloom to linger very long. Yes, you will be more than welcome in Miami (and every other US city), and no one will consider you a nuisance for being in a happy holiday mood. Even in the worst of times, Brits have always been warmly welcomed in the US.

Have a great trip - and report back when you return home.

Nov 14th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Nicole

Speaking as a displaced native, Florida is very dependent on tourism to run the economy. I was just home for a visit and believe me, you will get treatment in Florida that you may never experience again. Everyone working in the tourist industry will be very happy to see you and most natives know that the only way to head off a recession in the state is to make sure that every visitor has a good time and returns to tell their friends to go.
And as the previous poster mentioned, Miami is a mix of all nationalities. You can't stay unhappy when you're surrounded by those Latinos!! You will have a great time!

Nov 15th, 2001, 02:36 AM
Pippa

Many thanks Patrick, Liam and Nicole

Now we are really looking forward to our trip.

Will let you know how enjoyable it was on our return.

Nov 15th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Sherryl

Pippa,

I live in Miami, and please believe me that you are definitely welcome here. Not just because we are very dependant on tourism, but also because of the outpouring of sympathy we received from most of the world, but especially from Britain. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to email me directly.

Enjoy!

Nov 16th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Celeste

Visit Key West if you can when you're in Miami! There's nothing like it anywhere else!

Nov 16th, 2001, 05:57 PM
lena

if you're nice to us....we'll be nice to you. With the Harry Potter craze, the British will be stars.....