Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to wear to Lincoln Center Matinee opera show during the holidays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got box seats at the dress circle level for Hansel and Gretel on the 28th of December. We're wanting to go to The Nat Hist Museum after the show.

Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Don't worry... almost anything will pass muster. We sit in the Grand Tier for Sat. matinees and around us are all forms of dress.. nothing fancy, basically conservative. Pants.. skirts...dresses, sweaters.. etc. (Except for my husband who insists on wearing a tie - while I, of course, wear by black Reboks... or otherwise I'd be hobbling). Just wear something darkish and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM

If you are heading out to museum hopping after the performance, wear whatever you are comfortable in. You will see anything from jeans to dressed up at Lincoln Center, and for a matinee, more comfortable than dressy.

Enjoy!!
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Anything is (sadly) seen and acceptable. If you want the event to be a little more festive, wear business casual rather than jeans and sweatshirt (nice pants and pretty sweater with cute ankle boots for instance).
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I'm in the same heart as you nytraveler. We're season ticket holders here in Houston for the opera and I feel really bad wearing jeans (or colored ones even) to the opera so I think I will wear a sweater dress with tights and flat boots - it's more casual but at least it's not jeans. I was concerned because we wanted to do nat hist museum after so I wanted to be comfortable.

thanks all!
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Museum of Natural History closes at 5:45 pm - check the time that the opera ends and determine if you have enough time to visit the museum. As far as what to wear for the opera - you have to feel comfortable in what you are wearing. The fact that some wear jeans means nothing to me. I wouldn't - but that's me. Anyway - as long as you are wearing comfortable clothes - you'll be ok in the museum.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Hansel and Gretel ends at 1:15; you'll likely get up to the AMNH at about 2:00. It will take you some time to negotiate their ticketing layout, so you'll have maybe three and a half hours to explore there. Keep in mind that you'll need to buy timed tickets to the planetarium and IMAX shows when you arrive and that they will take time away from your other museum activities.

Enjoy the MET; even in the Parterre boxes, some people dress relatively casually. You shouldn't have a problem with whatever you wear, though jeans might be a bit too informal.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM
yk

a sweater dress with tights and flat boots

That might be not warm enough for NYC in Dec???
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:29 AM

A jingly Christmas sweater!

Brrr... my first time in New York was the first week in January. Being from California, my winter shoes were a pair of Chinese black cotton slippers. I never realized that cold could come up through the soles of your feet. Next trip I bought heavy soled boots and the heaviest coat I could find, scarves, gloves, ear muffs, long underwear, and handwarmers.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

;-) of course I was planning on wearing thick tights with a thick heavy coat (thermals under), earbags, thick scarf, thinsulate gloves with another over it. Are you kidding me? I live in Houston! Of course I'll be bundled up.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
yk

Don't forget a hat.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

hehe. yep, definitely a hat too. I got a couple of those sweater beret's from the gap. thanks yk.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM

The most important thing to remember about NY is that it always feels colder than the actual temp b/c the wind whips around the buildings and the winter sun doesn't penetrate. NYers generally wear black....boots, a dress and tights are perfect. Put on a nice warm coat, a hat, scarf and gloves and you'll be fine. Do not wear jeans to the opera...it's tacky. People are definitely dressed more informally today than you would think, but still......

Jeans and boots are fine otherwise. Even in the best restaurants you can show up dressed casually.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lisa. Yes, I bought an especially warm plum colored wool coat from anrew marcs just for New York. It's probably a bit for Houston except for 1 or 2 days a year but thought I needed it for NY and for my Chicago trip early next year.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

I have 2 free ticket codes from livenation (got it through one of hilton's promotions) that expire at the end of the month (December) and there are still some shows available for New York, although not on the dates we'll be there. Any of you New Yorkers interested in any of the shows below? Let me know at mkmcooper at gmail dot com. Wanted to post it on this thread as thank you for all your advice.

www.livenation.com/hilton