Dress code for Concertgebeouw

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a concert at Concertgebeouw while we're in Amsterdam, that I'd like to hear , but don't want to lug fancy dress or even blazer if I don't have to.

Is there a dress code? Will people laugh and point if we go in our normal touring (i.e. quite sloppy) wear?
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No dress code -- you can wear what you like, clean helps. But my question, why sloppy?

I dress casually when touring around but never 'sloppy'.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 12:43 PM

I would not dress sloppy nor wear what I wear hiking around all day sightseeing (which for me might be sandals/walking shoes/sneakers and jeans/capris). I would never go to a concert that way at home and I wouldn't on vacation, unless it were some casual drop-in thing in a church. I dress the same way I do at home, and I have been there. YOu don't have to be "fancy", but I wouldn't wear sloppy nor cargo/jeans or sneaks.

I think you know people may not "laugh" but it's disrespectful and ruins the atmosphere IMO, for people to dress like slobs or like they are ready to wash their car when others want to go to a nice event.

If you are a guy, wear some neat pants and shirt, and at least some leather walking shoes or something (men can get away with that more than women as I can't wear walking shoes with a skirt, for example, at least it would look dumb). There is a big difference between what may be called "business casual" and "fancy" dress.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 12:48 PM

it is 'gebouw' btw. Means building.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:12 PM

People with cargo pants and/or jeans also attend concerts there and no is bothered. Many Conservatory students will go and they're not formally dressed.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:17 PM

Yes Menacjhem, but there is a difference between being not bothered and looking out of place.
At concert we still dress up a little and wear jackets for example.
But nobody will throw you out.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

We had originally hoped to see an opera in Paris and would have brought more formal clothes, but tix cost around $400 each and we decided to forego the opportunity (even though it's Don Giovanni, my favorite opera).

So sloppy means pretty much what we wore that day or will wear the next. For me cargo pants, pullover if cold, casual top (not a T). For my spouse, pants and a top.
I wear leather shoes anyway, as I use my running shoes only for walking and running. My wife bought a pair of walking shoes that look like they're leather.

I'll go for it; might at the last minute decide to pack a pair of "dress" blue jeans and a blazer or nice sweater if I have room. Blue jeans are now worn to the Metropolitan Opera (!)

For the misspelling: I looked right at the name while typing and misspelled it! I'm really slipping--either old age or pre-travel excitement.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 08:27 AM

I can't speak for Amsterdam. But note that NONE of the replies you've been given seem to come from anyone who lives there - or has any insight into what Amsterdammers actually wear for concerts.

In London and the rest of SE England, there is simply NO dress code for concertgoing- any more than there is for going to the cinema or watching a football match. The reasons are simple: most of the audience is on the way home from work or college - and for most concertgoers in London and the Thames Valley, concerts are so much part of everyday life, it'd be absurd to pretend they've got to be dressed up for one.

I'd be astounded if Amsterdammers had a different culture from us - and if I were planning a trip to the Concertgebouw I'd want some real evidence Amsterdam was any different from Oxfordshire.

Before treating lectures about dressing up as anything other than the moans of people out of touch with modern concertgoing, I'd want some evidence the naggers have any expertise on the subject.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 08:48 AM

I live in Amsterdam and I visit the Concertgebouw at least once a week. There is no code for the building as such, but if you would feel a bit akward in your sloppy clothes depends entirely on the concert you are visiting. Sunday morning and saturday are quite casual affairs. On the other hand if the Concertgebouworchestra is playing a more traditional program you will see a lot of nicely dressed people. They will not sent you away in your cargo pants but nice jeans and a blazer or cashmere sweater is much more appropiate.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I was thinking during lunch that a pair of dress slacks and a turtleneck would be lighter and less bulky than jeans and a blazer, so that's what I'll do. That's what I generally wear to Symphony here in Atlanta, but with a blazer. Don't own any cashmere.

We're going on to other civilized parts of Europe, and my spouse has been making a list of Paris restaurants she would like to lunch or dine in, so the clothes may come in handy throughout the trip.

The concert, BTW, is the Doric String Quartet doing Haydn, Ades and Schumann quartets. It's in the Recital Hall.

The Ades is "The Four Quarters" so it ought to be about American football. Maybe an update on Charles Ives. (Just kidding, everybody).
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 09:35 AM

Yes that will do and a nice program, I do not know if Tomas Ades is into Americans Football. He is a Britt...and you know that drinkt before the concert and during the interval are free.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 09:41 AM

Hi Flaner

I'd have thought UK would dress better when going to a concert.

As for not living in Amsterdam, am I forbidden to go there ? I'm living 3 hours from there, I can't go to concerts there ?

Now only people who live IN the actual region have a right to give an advice ?
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 09:49 AM

Menachem used to live in Amsterdam.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:30 AM

Als we niks over ergens anders dan ons land kunnen zeggen, zal er hier geen Amerikaan zijn mond mogen openen...
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 11:27 AM

Pariswat, flanner is Brits, en vaak geeft hij goed advies.

For the rest of the forum, flanner is British, and often gives good advice.

In this case he was mistaken. Everyone makes mistakes.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 11:19 PM

I used to live in Amsterdam and I still attend concerts a lot because my wife is a musician, although she's in the Rotterdam Philharmonic, so we go see a lot of performances.

Here's a clip of Gardiner's semi-concert performance of Don Giovanni, with audience participation. If you have a close look at the audience, you'll see that they're quite casually dressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptAkeiLzwU

By the way, this was a very memorable evening, and it was a wonderful and exciting performance.

http://www.concertgebouw.nl/concerten-en-tickets

Which concert took your fancy?

That Belcea Quartet performance had me interested: Beethoven quartets! Though not in the great hall, but the small hall is wonderful too and much more intimate.

If it's the Fauré, you need to hurry.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 12:52 AM

"The concert, BTW, is the Doric String Quartet doing Haydn, Ades and Schumann quartets. It's in the Recital Hall. "

Nice! The small hall is decidedly less formal than the concert hall. I like it a lot.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 01:09 AM

Dank u hetismij...

Bent u soms in Bxl of in Parijs ?
Ik moet toegeven dat ik veel te weining in NL ben.
Buren... Je kan niet op hen rekenen.

mvg
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Menachem--

Anything going on in Rotterdam the following week? (October 15--17?)

As long as we're bringing more than casual attire, we might as well find more than one occasion to wear it.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 05:07 PM

On the 17th there's the big Farmer's Market on Heemraadsplein, great producers and makers, all local food, usually some nice singer/songwriters performing, lots of hipsters afoot and casual lunch in one of the nicer parts of town.

Starts from 10

We're intending to go to Building Conversation on the 16th (Schouwburg), experimental theatrical essentials with loads of audience input. Many people switch to English readily, and you'll get to visit spaces in the city you wouldn't otherwise get to see, so might be interesting:

https://www.rotterdamseschouwburg.nl..._Conversation/

Google translate:

Building conversation is als een klein festival van gesprekken. Je kunt kiezen uit verschillende gespreksvormen en voor ieder gesprek reserveer je apart. Op de stoep voor de schouwburg wordt een ontmoetingsruimte ingericht, de gesprekken vinden plaats op verschillende locaties in de stad. Ieder gesprek wordt voorafgegaan door en afgesloten met een wandeling. Na afloop is er eten en drinken. Building Conversation is een project van Lotte van den Berg en haar partner Daan ´t Sas. Van den berg heeft al tien jaar voorstellingen gemaakt, die bol stonden van de verstilde schoonheid en betekenis. Met Building Conversation volgen ze het steeds sterker geworden verlangen om zich alleen maar bezig te hoeven houden met de essentie van het theater: plek van samenkomst en communicatie.

On the 16th you get to choose between The Conversation Without Words and Thinking Together. There's more going on on the 17th but I don't know if you have an evening then.

And they feed you too, including drinks.

Years ago we went to a spoof performance they did: Homeless People Strictly Come Dancing. Our son then was 13 and it was so realistic and convincing that he really believed the police were raiding the place mid-performance. Great fun that. This is more philosophical and not a performance as such, but I've become very interested in "speaking together", so I'm curious.