Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to wear to a black tie wedding and also a rehersal before?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a country girl from Indiana. My husband and I are going to a black tie wedding in Florida! He is in the wedding so he has a tux and a suit for the rehersal but I am so worried about what to wear!! I am not at my ideal weight so I am freaking out about that too!!! So please help me with any advice that you might have! The wedding is in late August!! So I have a feeling that it is going to be super hot!!!!!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:40 AM

For the wedding you wear a long gown not a prom dress or a ball gown but a long evening dress. If you prefer that it not be super bare that's fine you can have a cap sleeve or a gauzy type of scarf. For the rehearsal dinner you need a pretty dress (short) or pants outfit (again, pretty and perhaps silk or similar). Unless something is outdoors the heat shouldn;t be an issue.

And you might want to ask editors to move this to the lounge for more answers.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 04:17 AM

It is not completely necessary to wear a long gown--tea length OR a VERY nice and VERY dressy short dress--but it needs to be a "cocktail dress"--the ultimate "little black dress" not necessarily black, of course.
What time is the wedding? That is the ultimate decider of the dress. Your husband being in a tux is not the reason it is "black tie". Noon, or after 7 are black tie (basically optional for guests). But as the wife of an attendant, you will want to have formal wear.
Rehearsal dinner if it is not in an informal location--like at a beach location--is Sunday dress. But sometimes rehearsal dinners are informal dinners so find that out.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM

SBT, please share more details regarding the wedding - where in Florida? The East Coast, made up of a lot of New Yorkers and East Coasters, is more formal, IMHO, than the West Coast of Florida. What time is the wedding?

I have often shopped in Indianapolis and could help with recommending some stores, if that would be helpful.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:13 AM

I recently attended a black tie wedding in Manhattan (NYC, not the Beach!), and many women were wearing cocktail or tea-length dresses. I wore a long evening gown, as did about 1/3 of the women there. I'd say if you would like to wear a long dress, go for it, but if you'd prefer shorter, that would be fine, too. As for your weight, don't stress; frankly, you can't change it, so why let it ruin your good time? Check out nordstrom.com for ideas, they have LOADS of dresses, and try to have fun shopping! (There are at least two looong threads about wedding wear in the Lounge if you are inclined to do a Srearch there.)