COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

What to wear in NO in late Dec.

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

What to wear in NO in late Dec.

My husband and I will be spending a few days in NO between Christmas and New Years and we are not sure what to pack for outside walking. Guidebooks say the temperature ranges from low 60's to low 40's, which is quite warm compared to the 25 degrees below zero that we're used to at that time of year. We have very little humidity where we live (western Canada on the prairies), so we aren't sure how cold/warm those temperatures really are in a humid climate. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 09:13 AM

With the humidity, it feels damp. I'd be most comfortable in long pants-jeans or cords, long sleeve shirt and a mid-weight jacket or vest. I'm not a hat person, so I'd skip it, but my husband and brother often wear one and gloves at night. Definately closed-toe shoes.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 12:29 PM

I wear my winter coat there and pack my heavy sweatshirt jacket. I go every year and it's a too up what I use, which has been both. No guarantees and it does get cold at night.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM

We lived in NO for 8 years and a winter coat was a waste of money. I usually wore a raincoat with a zip-out liner; the kids liked down vests. I don't think my husband wore his winter coat (dragged down from Nebraska) the entire time. Count on rain. Take mid weight jackets and if it gets really cold, buy souvenir sweatshirts for everyone.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM

Pack for layering. We have been in the 70's until yesterday and I've lived many Christmas days outside riding new bikes in shorts. (One of the best things about warm holidays is getting to play with new toys!) Usually, especially in the Quarter near the River with the wind blowing it is "cold". That is a relative term, remember. I wear a coat and gloves at night, but have NEVER experienced 25 below!! I can't imagine living every day life in those temperatures. I would want to stay inside near a fire!
Have a great trip!!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM
GoTravel

Pack for layers.

Being from the south I will say that our 35 degrees is warmer than the northeast 35 degrees because of the humidity.

Also, because the water in the Gulf will still be around 60 degrees, it will keep the air temps warmer than inland.