Search

What to wear?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear?

I will be leaving on Dec 1 for a 10 trip to Rome, Florence and Orvieto. I have noticed the weather is in the 50s. Does anyone have a recommendation on what kind of coat I should bring? I think I'll bring some turtle necks and few sweaters. I just don't want to be cold for 10 days!

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM

I go often in dec/Jan and pack layers including turtlenecks in a few different fabrics. I also am a big fan of twinsets for travel.

I pack black pants for day and a nicer wool pair for night, low heel boots for day and a dressier heel for evenings out. I also throw in a pretty blzaer (B&W tweed lately) and that often works for days.

For a coat, I have a leather car coat with a warm zip out lining that I bought on one of my trips that takes me everywhere. Also, I pack a wide scarf or pashmina in a pretty print for days or nights that are not as cold.

I live in the south and get cold easily so I pack to to be cozy. I always bring gloves because my hands get cold first.

I would suggest
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:28 PM

When we went to Rome in November, I hesitated about taking my boots. I thought they wouldn't be comfortable indoors and on cobbled streets.

Wrong! I wore them all day every day. We probably walked 12 miles a day and my feet stayed warm, dry and comfy.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM

Use some common sense, sweaters and wool coats will be fine. Do you ask someone what to wear everytime that you step out the door?

Why should shoes/boots you wear at home be any less comfortable on holiday? How ridiculous!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:40 PM

You know what MK2, if you were as world savy as you would like everyone to believe you would know that here in the USA we have sections that are pretty much warm year around. Unlike your England.

So people that live in the sunny states do have questions about how to dress for cold weather.

And that is what Fodors is for, to ask questions. If you don't like the questions just click "off".

Perhaps it is you that could use some common sense along with learning some decent manners!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM

eland, I think the other posters have given you some good suggestions as to what to bring for a December trip (well all except that one poster, sigh.

I always find turtle necks especially nice to have. Leather coat, tweed blazer, elegant and comfortable.

And I need to find some new boots that i can wear for hours. If you do buy some try them out at home first.

Do have a beautiful trip. I will look forward to your trip report. Enjoy every moment.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:46 PM

Do not forget something to cover your head...most heat is lost through there.

One from Miami here... and know how cold we get..and once also asked about how to dress in winter....
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:48 PM

"Go around asking some darn fool questions. How else are you going to learn anything?"

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Surely, m2k, if I had teeth like yours, I'd be mad at the world, also.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM

I've gone to deserts where it's 120F in the shade, as far as I'm aware, Britain doesn't have that weather, however, I managed to dress appropriately.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:16 PM

milguelgcuadra, a hat!!! Very good idea indeed. And gloves. They take up no room in luggage and if needed are wonderful to have. Another thought, most Italians love to wear a wool scarf around their neck, whether they need it or not. A fashion statement but does help if it is really cold.

I live in CA, so although we get winter of course I have been in Veneto during cold weather and thought I would die from the cold. Further north than you are going eland so you should be fine.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:57 PM

I love ear muffs. Not so hard on the hair and my ears are what get cold first.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM

Bring a lined raincoat and an umbrella.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:54 PM

"dressier heels for evening" ... "pashmina for milder days"

I don't know eland -- but I sure hope she's a woman because the Italians are murder on cross-dressers
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM

Make sure that you dress smart. Dress nicely but comfortabley. Americans make the mistake of dressing too casually when in Europe. Especially the women. Thank god the dress and sneaker combo is a thing of the past. No class!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:29 PM
Paci

I love to dress up and usually do not feel dressed up without wearing heels but let me warn you... leave your heels at home unless you plan to take a taxi everywhere. The streets will destroy any shoes that do not have a flat heel. They are mostly cobblestone in Rome.