Chinese Restaurant UWS

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinese Restaurant UWS

Any suggestions for a really really good place? We will be staying on W. 70th, and were thinking about Chinese on New Years Eve and want something nearby. We can call ahead to see if we need or can get reservations. Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and delicious - we're spoiled by the Chinese restaurants here in SDan Francisco.

Not Ollies Noodles, but would like to know how that is for some other time.

TIA,

Nina
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

After thought ....Any feedback on Ruby Foo's on 77th? I've read good and bad about it?

Nina
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:03 PM

One of the worst trolls I've ever read.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

fehgeddaboutit, I have no idea why you are insulting me, but I'll forget about it. Thanks for bring my post to the top. Perhaps Howard or the some of the other knowledgeable posters will answer my question?

Nina
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Not insulting you. You're silly, nina. Breeeeeeaaaathe.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:23 AM

It's gotta be Shun Lee Cafe or Shun Lee West on West 65th Street (between Columbus Ave. and Central Park West). They're the best. Definitely make reservations. The cafe is less formal and less expensive.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Agree - on UWS Shun Lee wins hands down. But it is quite pleasant - not a hole in the wall.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:43 AM

I like Ollie's but think I've had better food at the one on 44th than the one near Lincoln Center. Their best dishes are the big bowls of "everything noodles" or something like that. Not a special place though.

Also I had one of the worst meals ever at the Ruby Foo's UWS. I mentioned to the waitress that the calamari was really horrible and nothing like the same dish I had at the one near Times Square. She looked at it, admitted it even "looked" strange, and that was the end of that.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Ollie's and Ruby Foo's pale in comparison to any Shun Lee restaurant!
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:33 AM

I may be flamed for this, but, I'm an SF native that lived in NYC years and, on the whole, you won't find any chinese food that matches what you can get on the west coast. I searched in vain for great, reasonably priced Chinese (on the UWS, no less) and never found it. Just a warning to you.

Now that my NY native husband and I have moved back to SF, he finally understand why I complained about the lack of good CHinese (and mexican for that matter) as I did when we lived in NY.

Shun Lee is expensive - think $15-25 per dish.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Howard, I agree totally. I was talking about those "secondary" places because Nina asked. I got the impression she already knows they aren't the "really really good place"s she's asking about, but just wanted information on them.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. You all answered my question and gave me exactly the answer I was looking for. Shun Lee sounds perfect.

acwsf - I know exactly what you mean. We too are native San Franciscians and have lived here all of our lives. When we travel, we usually are disappointed in the local Chinese food. There was a lovely Chinese restaurant a few doors from our B&B in Rome. The young man at the door told us that he was from S.F. and that his uncle owned the restaurant. He said that it was good, but not as good as we were used to, and then he advised us not to eat there ;-)
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

I just looked up Shun Lee in my Zagat. Aside from the prices and the decor, what is the difference between Shun Lee Cafe and Shun Lee West - food-wise? All things being equal, which one gets your top recommendation?

Patrick you hit the nail on the head.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Since all of the SFO'ers are convinced that Chinese food is the world's best in their area, why not consider expanding your palates while in NYC?
M
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:12 PM

mikemo - I agree. I would actually recommend steering clear of chinese and mexican while in NY and go to Indian, which is better in NY, or try another kind of cuisine. There are so many wonderful restaurants in NY to try...
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM

What bunch of BS! Yes, SF Chinese restaurants are excellent, but so are the Shun Lee establishments!
Nina, I've never been to the cafe, but I'm sure you'll love either place (or the third one--Shun Lee Palace on East 55th, which is probably the best of the three).
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Yes, the debates go on and on. People who say things like "the only place you can get really good Chinese food is San Francisco" or "the only really good pizza is in New York" are simply deluding themselves.
Can anyone explain why all the good Chinese cooks ended up in SF and none anywhere else? And don't tell me that SF is the only place where they can get really good fresh ingredients.

It is impossible to seriously believe that there are dozens of wonderful Chinese restaurants in SF and not a single one in New York to compare.

Of course with that attitude, you know that no one who believes it will ever appreciate the food they do eat in NYC, as their minds are already made up that it CAN'T be any good, really.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys ... I never said, nor do I think that San Francisco is the ONLY place in the world that has good Chinese food. I've had excellent Chinese in Paris and others placed too.

I thought about bringing along some take out, but it would be very very cold by the time we ate it in NY. Delivery would cost an arm and a leg, and that's not including the tip.

If I only wanted food from home - I would never leave home. My mother was a good cook, but that didn't stop me from moving out.

Travel means finding new and sometimes better things. One of a kind treasured memories and adventures.

I've had plenty of mediocre to down right bad Chinese food here in S.F. Just like any other place, you have to know where to go.

I know a lot of you from your posts, and I trust your judgement - that's why I asked.

We're looking forward to dining at Shun Lee thanks to all of you.

Nina

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:44 PM

Nina, my comment was not aimed at you!
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

I know that Howard. I've read enough of your posts over the years to know you don't flame people. I guess it is in my genes to take blame/guilt for everything, even if I am not responsble Never fear, Howard, just keep responding to my posts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -