Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do with bags when we arrive in NYC? Brooklyn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will be visiting NYC next month and staying with some friends in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn. We land at JFK at 2 PM on a Friday, and our friends will not be home until after work around 6 PM or so. Trying to decide what we can do, while carrying our bags, until then? We will do carry-on suitcases, so shouldn't be too loaded down. Will only be there for a weekend so want to take advantage. Maybe grab a bite to eat in Brooklyn and hang out in a park or something? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM

well if they can not make arrangements to leave a key for you somewhere, so you can go in their house and drop off your bags then I would go to any major hotel in Manhattan ( a Sheraton or Marriott or whatever) and give my bags to the bellman to hold, take my tix stub and go stroll around the city for a few hours before meeting up with them.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM

You can leave your bags at package check at Macy's in Manhattan and do whatever you want. Take the AirTrain/LIRR from JFK to Penn station and Macy's is very close.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM

By the time you get done with the airport mess, you really only have 2-3 hours to wait 'til they're home. You could head to the Brooklyn Museum--it's open 'til 5PM on Fridays. Check your bags in the cloakroom and see some exhibits. Right next door to the museum, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is open 'til 6PM. Then you'd be nearby to meet your friends.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM

Ellenem's suggestion is great one.

There's a neat exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum now through July 13 of a famous Japanese pop artist.

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/murakami/

I don't know how you were planning on getting to Park Slope but if you're not strapped for cash I'd use a local car service--it will be cheaper than a cab.

I live in Brooklyn and have had good luck with this one:
Eastern Car Service
http://www.easterncarservice.com/