Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Costs of Tolls + Tips from JFK to Manhattan??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In looking at many car service sites for New York, they all give a price of a car and add "tolls + tips not included".

I mailed a couple of places, asking what would those tolls, tips approximately be to the upper west side?
I never got an answer so thought some of you could give me an answer as to how much to tip? How many toll roads.

Thanks a lot.

Boron

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:19 AM

Did you say that you atually wrote letters, which you stuffed into stamped envelopes and dropped in mailboxes, just to inquire about tolls/tips?

Anyway for tolls, it,s $4.50 per car per crossing via tolled bridges or tunnel into and out of Manhattan (from JFK, that would be INTO). Usually, it's the Midtown Tunnel or the Triboro Bridge, depending on where in Manhattan you are going to.

Tips could be anywhere from 10% and upwards of the rate (usually depends on how generous you are) and the number of baggages that you had loaded. I'd say about $2 per large bags and an additional 10% tip on the rate would be sufficient.

Enjoy NYC !
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:23 AM

And I'd say tip is 15-20% of the fare (not including the toll). The most frequently used car services are Carmel and Tel Aviv, both of whom charge about what a taxi does ($45 flat fare). Carmel has some coupons on their website.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Cab tips in NYC are typically 20% - since what the cabbies get is only a small part of what's on the meter (most goes to the owners). You tip on the flat fare not including the toll.

Toll for bridge or tunnel from JFK into Manhattan is $4.50. You can take the 59th St bridge without the toll - but it will take much longer.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:17 AM

From Hotel in Madison and 51 st , do we have to pay town car fare which is $52 with Carmel , plus $4.50 toll plus let US say $10 dollar tip, (2 pax and 3 pieces luggage) that is
67 dollars total.?
Thursday at 7PM getting into Mahhatan from La Guardia in a taxi he told us toll was 7.50
...may be he was adding other fees?

it used to be a simple clean cut thing taking a taxi coming into NYC, lately I get an unpleasant feeling that something is Not right, ,,,,,,,we are leaving from JFK flying overseas
That is why I would like to know the exact amount to be paid..Thank you.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:43 AM

To/from JFK is the set $52.50 fare plus toll & tip.

To/from LGA the taxi is metered, so the fare will depend on time of day, traffic, etc.

More knowledgeable people than I will tell you the current tolls, as you've resurrected an outdated 7 year old thread.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 03:30 AM

Tolls are $7.50 cash for RFK (triborough) Bridge and Midtown Tunnel. Drivers will ahve easy pass, so they pay slightly less in tolls, but may charge the full fare.

I live close to your hotel, Graziella. I always instruct drive to take the 59th Street Bridge, which has no toll, and is the bridge closest to your hotel (and to my house).
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 03:31 AM

sorry. Should read "I always instruct the taxi or limo driver to take the 59th Street Bridge"
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 05:12 AM

In a regular taxi, you pay $52 + .50 tax + $5.33 toll (if you take the Triborough Bridge or Midtown Tunnel) + tip of 20% (which equals $11) for a total of about $70, which is what I normally pay and what driver's expect.

A car service can be $5 cheaper, but they usually charge you the full $7.50 for the toll (regular taxis are not allowed to do that, and the discounted EZ Pass toll now goes directly onto the meter).
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 06:21 AM

Thank you, I used to live in 415 East 52 st, years ago, but it is amazing how as one get older somethings are forgotten, thank you ekscrunchy ,it makes sense to get across the bridge instead Of the tunnel,....it used to be absolutly fine, but I noticed taxi drivers prefer the tunnel.
Thank you all.
I guess a few more dollars makes no difference however not trusting the driver does make a big difference to me....may be I am looking back too much. May be It is time to reconognize that is cool to look at things through your iPhone , to talk to friend via messages and love tatoos.... Cheers .