Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in San Francisco- and how much time is needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to San Francisco and are planning on taking a trip to San Francisco this March and I wanted to know how much time is really needed in San Francisco to see all the sights and attractions, as we have never been there before. Also, what are the main attractions that we would want to see?(it's a family vacation). I was thinking that 3 full days would be enough time. Is this not enough, too much, or just enough time?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:30 AM

I never know how to answer these questions because I want to say it would take a year to see everything. I posted on another SF question last night mentioning that our second trip there we rented an apartment for a month and never ran out of things to see and do.
I think that 3 full days is enough to give you a good feel for the place though.
I'd suggest you pick up a guidebook for San Francisco, or at least read through the AAA California Tourbook section on SF, or do a search here for "San Francisco attractions" and get a feel for what you want to do.
As a family vacation, I'd urge you to do the trip to Alcatrez, see the sea lions at Fisherman's Wharf, visit the new Ferry Building and have lunch and do the market there, go over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito for views back to the city and a fun seafood meal on the water (more fun and better than doing that at Fisherman's Wharf in my opinion), and visit Chinatown, North Beach, and go to the top of Coit Tower. Those are just a few starter ideas for you.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Take one of the 30 or so free walking tours with SF City Guides - sponsored by the SF public Library. See www.sfcityguides.org for schedules & tour descriptions.

I've lived in SF or close by for 30 years, and I still have not seen everything.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:16 AM

We spent three days in San Francisco in April 2003 with our children then aged 8 and 5. This was the first leg of a four point tour of the west coast from the UK and we also stayed in San Diego, LA and Las Vegas. Prior to travel I booked a SF city coach tour which also included tickets for Alcatraz. We saw the sea lions and ate somewhere on Pier 39 that evening. On day two we took a one day coach trip to Yosemite - a long day but worth it. Day three was spent riding the trams, visiting Union Square, Chinatown, the Exploratorium, windy street etc. Have fun.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM

If you do not live near an ocean, you might want to take the L Taraval streetcar (underground access downtown) to the zoo and ocean. You can walk along the beach and take the N Judah back to town. The avenues from the zoo go backwards alphabetically (Wawona, Vicente, Ulloa, Taraval, Santiago, etc.).
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM

depending on the ages of your children, I can highly recommend the "the big red fire truck excursion that leaves fromn the Cannery. I took my granddaughter who waqs 11 and we both loved it. It starts at the cannery and goes thru the city over the golden gate bridge to fort baker and back. The couple who run the tour own the fire truck and are a rea kick. They give you real fire hats and coats to wear as it is breezy going over the bridge. the wharf as tacky as it is is always fun for families and maybe a tour of the new ball park SBC Park would be available then. Don't forget the famous cable car rides and a trip to Muir woods is also a must in my opinion.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:34 AM

Here is how I would break up my days:
1 full day to walk through and see everything in Golden Gate Park
1 full day to see Chinatown, Nob Hill, and the Wharf
1 full day to see other SF tourist stuff such as Golden Gate Bridge and Coit Tower
1 full day to spend in Marin County and drive up headlands, Mt Tamalpais, Point Reyes
1 full day in Napa and Sonoma
1 full day in Oakland and Berkeley and see the Eastbay.

The Bay Area is very diverse and beautiful. Have a great trip.