What to do in Salt Lake City for a day?

Old May 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Salt Lake City for a day?

We have a free day in Salt Lake City waiting for my husband who is there on business. Can anyone suggest what might be a good way to spend the day? Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have a positive experience visiting anything in Salt Lake City? Any good restaurants?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:24 AM

We visited the Olympic sites in both SLC & Park City. Also, This is the Place Monument. If it is a Sunday, you can go hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert while they record their radio show. We also visited the Mormon Museum of Church History & Art.

We ate dinner at Lion House which used to be lived in by Brigham Young. It is served cafeteria style but the food & good & inexpensive.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:45 AM

A couple of years ago, I attended a 30 minute organ concert/demonstration in the Tabernacle. This was on a weekday around 12:00 p.m. It was my understanding at the time that this was held every day except Sunday.

I would also recommend a visit to the observation deck of the Church Office Building for a great view of the area.

Finally, the Gateway is an ecellent outdoor shopping mall with movie theatres including IMAX.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM

A few years ago we stopped at a little park on the south side of the lake, right off I 80, i think it's called Salt Aire. It's a fun place to put your feet in the lake to feel the salt as it's totally unlike any other body of salt water.

Antelope Island is a state park off I 15 (i think)with a cool herd of bison, in addition to snack bar stuff.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM

I think that museum in Temple square is fascinating, it must be the one of Church history and art. Even if you're not LDS (we're not)--the docent left us alone once he saw we were just curiousity seekers and I never felt unwelcome there.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM

Geez, SLC is very pleasant in most ways.

Be sure to walk the Temple grounds and decide for yourself whether you want the guided tour or the self-guided look.

If you are at all interested in your family roots, the best genealogy library in the country is right across the street from the Temple Square.

Take a short walk up hill to the steps of the Utah State Capitol for a nice view of the valley below.

There are malls in mid-town and lots of spots around for lunch and stuff.

Plus SLC doesn't really have the "bad neighborhoods" that other cities are known for. The long arm of the LDS church keeps the bad guys on edge and moving along.

If you're curious, drive out to the lake itself, as it is a freak of nature, complete with the Morton Salt Factory nearby.

Just wait until you get there and play it by ear (with the exception of the family history stuff, which you should map out as best you can beFORE you go... then you can look for more info efficiently while there).

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:27 PM

If you are there on a Thursday night you can go to the choir rehearsal in the tabernacle. Incredible concert experience.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like we can find some interesting things to do!