Search

What to do in Norfolk,Virginia?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Norfolk,Virginia?

hey there!

I'll be traveling in Norfolk Virginia for work. I wanted to take the chance to explore since I never really had anything close to a vacation for a long while. Any suggestions for fun activities? Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you staying?

Will you have a car?

What time of year are you coming?

How far from Norfolk are you willing to wander?
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM

And what are your interests?
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM

Chrysler Museum of Art
All kinds of naval museums
Historical (revolutionary and civil war) sites
Peabody Collection of African American Historical documents at Hampton University
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi Birdie! Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post. Anyway, I'll be staying at SandyBayApartments/b>. Our company handled the accommodations. Hmm. Do you think it's better to bring a car? I honestly don't like driving and I'm at lost at directions.
I'm scheduled to travel in December. I honestly don't have any idea how far I would like to go. I would like to try as many activities as I can in a week's time.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks Ackislander!. That will be interesting, though I'm more of a beach bum type, I'll make sure to try that one out.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

hey abram! I'm interested in Beaches, but I don't think it's such a great idea in December.What do you think? I'm open to any other activities. Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Having a car will give you so much more flexibility on where you can go in the Norfolk area. I have only driven there, but I would hazard a guess that public transportation is not all that convenient.

Besides the excellent suggestions from Ackislander, you are close to the attractions in Newport News (e.g. Mariner's Museum) and Williamsburg (Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown). Virginia Beach is only a half-hour's drive from Norfolk. While the water will be too cold for swimming in December, you can walk along the beach. They also have a big drive-thru lights show in December along the boardwalk which you might enjoy. And the Virginia Beach Aquarium and Marine Science Center is well worth a visit.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:39 PM

Waterman's Surfside Grille at 415 Atlantic Ave in Virginia Beach is wonderful. Best mashed potatoes I have ever tasted, great steaks and fantastic crab cakes.

Fellini's Italian restaurant at 3910 Colley Ave in Norfolk is probably the best Italian food in the whole area.

The Wells Theater on Granby St in Norfolk often has very good shows.

Stroll through the little historic neighborhood of Ghent: little shops, restaurants, etc.

d'ART center is a gem of a co-op type gallery to visit.

Also highly recommend the Chrysler (really fine collection of Tiffany glass) and Colonial Williamsburg.

The VB contemporary museum sometimes has exhibitions of international artists - Chihuly glass once, so see what they have on.

Pretty little harbor area in Portsmith.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Hi CarlaElisse,

Looks like I live just a few blocks from where you'll be staying. Here's our neighborhood website which may give you some ideas re the area. http://eastbeachnorfolk.com/ You will definitely need a car as public transportation is minimal here (unless your work will be taking you to either naval base....there are buses available.) All of the activities noted in previous post will require a car.
Williamsburg is particularly pretty at Christmas time and our neighborhood has a porch tour in December (all the porches decorated for the holidays) with lots of activities. When in December will you be here? The first 2 weeks I'll be in Paris but if after that perhaps we can have a mini GTG.

If you have specific questions, feel free to e-mail. My address is on my profile.

We like walking on the beach all year, though in December it may be a short walk!
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot longhorn55 & Sassafrass!
You sure have been very helpful! I guess I really should bring a car with me. I would definitely try those tips, especially the food trips. Love'em, thanks!
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Hey Judy!
Thanks for the tips! I'm really tempted to that little GTG. you seem like a nice person. My trip will be on the 2nd week however. Maybe next time. I'll definitely go back to VA.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Would you like a Norfolk Visitor's Guide sent to you? It'll give you all kinds of info on what to do, where to go to eat and events that are going on in the City. I agree with everyone else to bring a car. The public bus system leaves a lot to be desired. However, there is now a light rail system that travels from Downtown Norfolk to the city line of Virginia Beach.