Search

What to do in LA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in LA

My husband and I will be traveling to LA in October for two days are unsure on what to do and where to say in Los Angeles that is in a nice location . We are not visiting the theme parks so any help on what to do and when to do it will be appreciated. Our budget is around $100 dollars for the hotel.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Is the reason for the trip business or pleasure? Is there anything you have heard about in connection with L.A. that you would like to do or see? Is there something you are coming her specifically for?

We have wonderful art galleries, great theatre, concerts, the Pacific Ocean, great shopping, and nice weather.

$100 a night is pretty tough. If you're interested in historic landmarks and the movie industry, I'm going to suggest the Culver Hotel (recently renovated) as a possibility. Us locals have been more than impressed with what Culver City has done to its city in terms of revitalization. The Culver Hotel is a landmark hotel (see culverhotel.com) in a wonderful area. You can see the hotel in old Laurel & Hardy movies, and it housed the munchkins during the making of Wizard of Oz. It's very walkable area at night, and a short drive from the major studios. In fact, Sony studios is right next door, with a number of t.v. tapings (go to audiencesunlimited.com for free tickets).
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM

"unsure on what to do and where to stay" -- well, you decided to go to LA for SOME reason. What was it? What many visitors call "L.A." (mainly LA and Orange counties) is hundreds of sq uare miles. So before we can narrow things down a bit -- what sorts of things do you enjoy? You said what you don't want to do, but not what you might like to do.

Nice places in nice locations at or under $100 are few and far between. We can recommend some (and Culver City is one possibility) but you need to help us out here . . . . .
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM

If there are just the two of you you can easily win a hotel Downtown by iusing Priceline. From biddingfortravel.com, I've copied and pasted:

4* Omni LA - Downtown 9/3 $55
4* Omni LA - Downtown 08/27 $55
4* Omni DT 9/3 $55
3* Holiday Inn Brentwood Bel Air 9/4 $80
4* Millennium Biltmore DT 08/27-08/29 $70

As for things to do, my number one choice would be to visit the King Tut Exhibit at Los Angeles Museum of Art:

http://www.lacma.org

It is important to buy tickets in advance as the exhibit is selling out quite a bit.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 12:51 PM

There are TONS of hotels for under $100. It just depends on what part of town you want to stay in and how nice of a hotel you want.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Well this is on our way to Vegas so we decided to stay a few days in LA. We are mostly interested in the beach, museums and maybe some of the famous Hollywood landmarks. No kids just two adult on their mid 20s. I know there is a lot to see but we only have two days there is not much time so we are tying to narrow it down to some of the top attractions.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Hello triptrap81, I don't know if you would want to take the time but since you mentioned musueums have you thought about going to the Getty Museum?
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Check the Pantages Theatre (for broadway shows) to see what's playing there while you're in town. The theatre itself is gorgeous and I've loved everything I've ever seen there!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:49 PM

Since you will only be in the LA area for two days, it's important to narrow down what you want to do and map it out. Although some places only look a few miles apart, with traffic, it can take an hour to go ten miles. If it's your first time in LA, you may want to check out things like Melrose Ave (for shopping and celeb sightings), Venice Beach, (there is the beach, plus a "boardwalk", shopping area, but mostly, colourful people!, Rodeo Drive, (the famous shopping street), Hollywood and Highland (where the Kodak theater is (Oscars) as well as the stars in the sidewalk, and I highly recommend the Getty, although it will take up most of a day, not counting traffic. (FYI: Last time I went to the Getty, about 2 years ago, parking was free, but you had to reserve it ahead of time. Check out their website)

Oh, and you might check out a studio tour. I know you said you aren't doing theme parks, but several of the studios have tours. Also, you might catch a taping of a tv show, but again, that will take up an entire day.

Have a great time. Hope this helps a little.
Andiamo
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for SURFERGIRL, or any other LA experts who would like to chime in.

I moved to LA this year and would love to know where the best, edgy art galleries are. I'm looking for places that really push the UP-AND-COMING painters/ sculptors. Downtown? Edgemar Center (Santa Monica)? Venice?

Also, which are your favoirte ART WALKS? I know they happen at certain times of the year. Which are your favorites?

Many thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM

LA and the LA Area has tons to see and do and you have been given some good ideas. As far as a hotel I would go with the recommenation that you use Priceline and bid on a hotel in the area you are most interested in staying in and pick a 3 or 4* hotel. You usually can't go wrong with this star level and many people get rooms for less than $100. You can also check Hotwire and again pick an area you want to stay in and see what is available. They don't give you the name but give you the star level and the ammenities in the area you have chosen. Good Luck and have fun!!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Downtown for the up and coming -- funny, my colleagues and I just had a conversation about this the other day, talking about ground-flooring it for the later masterpieces to pass on to our children and grandchildren.

The Venice Art Walk in May is both notable and rewarding, since it benefits the Venice Family Clinic, a personal favorite local charity (my doctor, now deceased, co-founded it).
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.farmersdaughterhotel.com

Go to:
Venice Beach
Santa Monica/Pacific Palasades
The Farmers Market at Fairfax
Chinatown
Olvera Street
Melrose Avenue
Walk of the Stars