Search

What to do in Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Kauai

We are headed to the beautiful island of Kauai in 10 days. This will be our fourth visit there so we have done most of the tourist things - NaPali Coast, Smith Luau, Gaylords Luau, Movie Tour, botanical gardens, etc. Anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do this time? What do the locals do for fun and we would like the names of some good restaurants the locals frequent. Thanks - look forward to your responses!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM

I'm not a local, but
I've always enjoyed planting my posterior in a beach chair and watching the clouds float by, but I like to RELAX and slow way down while there. Less is more on Kaua'i.

Have you been on any Waimea Canyon hikes? Done an ATV tour? Kayaked any of the rivers? Heli tour? Hiked up Sleeping Giant? Horseback riding? Fishing? Hang out at Tahiti Nui for some killer music? Shopped at the farmer's markets?

-Bill

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Lucky you, I love Kauai. We were there in February and stayed at the Marriott Beach Club. If you've been there four times already you know most of the places to see. But we found a few favorite places to eat when we were there two years ago and we were back to them again this year. My very favorite place for breakfast is the Kountry Kitchen in Kapaa right on Highway 56. It is a VERY popular spot with locals. We were in Kauai for 7 days and I think we ate at this restaurant 4 times. They have the best pancakes (my favorite is chocolate chip) and coconut syrup! The other place is the Beach Hut, right behind the Marriott in Lihue. Just a little hut, but very reasonable with good food and great coffee. Then there is Dukes, which is also right by the Marriott. Great for an evening meal. Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM

My favorite things to do on Kauai are going to the beach, boogie boarding and bicycle riding.

If you are into beaches then it would be fun go to some of the more out of the way beaches and explore.

Alan
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Kuppie:

Sounds like perhaps this should be the visit when you just go holoholo -- go wherever the day (or the road) takes you. Some of the best stuff on our island, isn't mentioned in guidebooks (thankfully!)...but rather is a special surprise. Any road that doesn't say "Kapu" or "No Trespassing" is fair game...and you'll never get lost on this island!

Get up in the morning, throw on your bathing suits, throw on a t-shirt & shorts, and head out...you will _always_ find something interesting. 8-)
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Auntie Maria has the right idea and that is what I was thinking anyway. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions - we'll try them. Only one more day and we'll be on our way!!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:17 AM

We really enjoyed the moderately strenuous hike up the Sleeping Giant - great views all the way up. And even this North Carolinian was fairly impressed with the barbeque at Scotty's in Kappa - and you can't beat the view there.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Kal

Ditto B in C on hiking up "Da Big Guy".

360 degree views of the CocoCoast, King Kong, Mt Wally, Wailua River.
If you park "behind" him and pick up the trail head there you can make it to the top in about 30-40 mins.

Nice picnic area on his chest. Be careful from his chest up to his nogin...nice drop on one side.

ATV rides are nice. Get to see some places you can't get to on regular hikes since you'd be tresspassing.

You golf? Nice courses. Rental clubs available. I usually golfed in my Keens or Chacos so no spikes required.

Kukuilono Golf Course in Kalaheo is a nice and inexpensive course esp for beginners. the views there rival Princeville's at 1/20th the price.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM

We are hikers and there is no better place for it. Go as far on the kalalau Trail as you are physically able to do.

We thought the Smith Luau was not worth it. The grounds there are very pretty but the meal was not all that great. And the show seemed to go on and on and we were ready for it to end sooner than it did. And you better walk on your tour of the garden else you will be choked by the noxious fumed of their little tram. The "blue bible" may say it is the best luau because the show is authentic. But we prefer some cheesy firejuggling on the beach instead. I'm sure others have different opinions.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Kal

When someone tells me to take a hike, I tell them I do every year on Kauai.

This year, if I a drop enuff weight, I hope to go fly a kite and jump off a cliff!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Kal,

Birds in Paradise perhaps? ~gt;

-Bill
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 03:53 PM

We did the Princeville zipline tour/day trip a few months ago and I highly recommend it. This was our 3rd visit to Kauai and we wanted something different. I did a trip report if you want to click on my name and find it, I posted it sometime in January.

Also if you have not done the Nualolo Trail Loop hike I highly recommend that as well.

Lucky you! Have fun!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Kal

Billaaaay,
That, zipline and the parasurfing.
...........maybe! [-o<
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Ditto for ziplining it was one of the highlights of our trip. Also you could try an intro suba dive.