Search

What to do in DC with two teens...& limited time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in DC with two teens...& limited time

Greetings,
We are going to Virginia for a college visit in a few weeks.
We will have a limited time in Dc - about noon or so on Saturday and our flight leaves at 3:45 on Sunday...
I am interested in going to the news museum but want to be sure to get our $$$ worth - do you think it is worth it for a few hours? Or should we just walk around Georgetown and see the Martin Luther king memorial?
We are staying at the Hay adams(no choice on that) ...
Thanks!
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM

How about the Smithsonian??( or parts there of)..Monuments, of course, but have layers as the weather may be chilly and/or wet. There's lots to do and maybe the hop on hop off if walking is not a "like".
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:45 PM

I dont think you really have time for the Newseum even with tickets being good for 2 days. I would pick a Smithsonian and some of the Monuments
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM

The Hay Adams is a fantastic hotel. You will enjoy that. It is within walking distance of the White House and the Mall, so you could see a few monuments in just a quick walk. The walk from the Lincoln down the Mall is nice. Right there are also many museums in the Smithsonian - Air and Space and Natural History, among the best. The National Gallery of Art is at the far east end of the mall as well (close to the Capitol).

Walking in Georgetown on a Saturday will be nice but crowded. There are great shops and nice restaurants, and the Waterfront park area has good views of the Kennedy Center and bridges. If you have time, try Martin's Tavern for a casual lunch.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM

The first time we went to the Newseum, we spent 4 hours the first day, and 2+ hours the second day, and really weren't done. I wouldn't spend the money until you have time to do it justice.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Newseum is one of my favorite museums in DC so I think three or four hours there is time well spent. You could c it Saturday afternoon. Georgetown is really nothing unique...lots of chain stores these days.
Have you seen the FDR memorial? That's a great memorial and could easily be paired with MLK memorial. If it's not a nice day, agree that going to either NGA or one of the Smithsonian would be a good choice depending upon your interests.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Forgot to mention that there are lots of discount coupons available for the Newseum. Check on line and also check with your hotel.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 01:33 PM

If you've never done a segway tour, those can be fun to do for an hour or two.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback - my daughter has been to Dc twice in recent years and her friend has as well. Her friend is interested in film and print - hence my interest in the news museum.
So much is free in Dc I may save the news museum for a time when it is unrushed.
Frankly they might be worn out and want to chill.., we may play it by ear...
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM

Walking the memorials is a great experience for teens. We took ours a couple of years ago & the FDR was especially memorable but the Vietnam & Korean made a big impact. Arlington was impresionable too but you may not have time for that. Did not get to the Newsmusem so I can't compare. Perhaps a night bus tour of the monuments?
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 06:15 PM

You do have enough time to see the Newseum and not be rushed, if that's all you intend to do. I have been to the Newseum twice--the first time I spend 8 hours over 2 days and the second time I spend 6 hours in one day. So, if your only daytime activity is the Newseum, it can be done. However, if you don't have time for the inside of the Newseum, you can go and read all the front pages displayed outside of it. They display front pages from 1 newspaper in every state and from several foreign countries. It's interesting to see what constitutes "news" in various parts of the country/world.

Also, if you choose not to do the Newseum, you have plenty of time to do more than walk through Georgetown (which, as yestravel says, is nothing unique) and see the MLK Jr. Memorial. I'd check the websites for the various museums in town to see if there are any special exhibits that appeal to you. In addition, I'd look at Goldstar.com to see about discount tickets to various theatre productions. There are some excellent shows coming this fall and winter!
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 10:58 PM

MomDD, we went this summer. If you are going to Georgetown the campus, you will want to check my trip report for that day.

The coupons I saw for the Newseum were 25 percent off and expired at the end of the summer; perhaps a new set have been put out at the hotels. We did not go as this was our first time.

I would consider getting a time reserved to see the Constitution/Declaration of Independence at the National Archives. It's free and since nobody thinks to reserve a time you get in almost instantly. This is not an all day thing; figure 45 minutes.

I would not get a bus for the monuments. Our teens really liked walking the monuments, walking at a reasonable speed and not being stuck on a tour. Note that there the FDR monument starts at the beginning of his presidency and goes through the major events chronologically.

Another idea: What about taking a cab to a livelier neighborhood for dinner? Go a little early and look at the shops nearby. We liked Adams Morgan but I know there other vibrant neighborhoods as well.

If your daughter and her friend have been to DC in recent years and visited American History/Flight/Natural History, then perhaps do one of the lesser known Smithsonians. One recommended to me that I did not make it to was the Hirschorn Museum and Garden. It is modern art and my friend said the gift shop used to have a lot of jewelry that teen girls liked. It was on my list but didn't happen. I was curious about Ford's Theater and the Phillips Collection as well. Hopefully obxgirl will also check in.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

We are home and a GREAT trip was had by all! I will write up a brief trip report soon I hope but we loved it.
The Hays Adams was somethin' somethin' Wow! What a location!
we LOVED the newseum!
Very very great weekend!
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Look forward to reading it. If you start a new post for it, please post a link here