One Day in DC - What to Do or See?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from Canada and am attending a conference in Washington DC in June. I am staying near the Convention Centre. I have managed to arrange flights and time off work to extend my stay for one day after the conference.

If you had only one day to spend with minimal likelihood of ever returning, which of the sights/museums would you choose to visit?

I know it's a question like "Switzerland in one day, what to do?" but it's the best that I can do! I accept that I will get to see very little and am curious for the recommendations and priorities of people who have been there.

Thank you for your help!
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Wow! Quite a question! In short, go to the National Mall. If you stand at the Washington Monument (more or less in the center), you can look one way and see the Capitol, look the other way and see the WWII and Lincoln Memorials. (You can also mostly see the White House from here, or take a short walk to it.) Right on/just off the Mall are the Vietnam Veterans and Korean War Memorials too. A longer walk (but do-able) is the Jefferson Memorial. All these are worth an up close visit. Also on the mall, are most of the Smithsonian museums . . . My fave is the American History with Air and Space being a close 2nd. You can walk to see all of these (not the museums thoroughly) in one day. (Wash. Mon. requires tickets to go up, but you don't have to do that.) Good luck and have fun -- it's a wonderful city!
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Agreed. The Washington mall, with its museums, the Capitol and the Washington monument, could be your "one-stop shopping place" for seeing a lot. But . . . Mt. Vernon, George Washington's home, is also wonderful, as is a nighttime tour of the monuments,which are particularly moving when illuminated. I would hate to have you miss the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials, which you will if you just go to the mall.
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Since this may be your only stop in DC for a while, spend money instead of time. Purchase a ticket for the TourMobile

www.tourmobile.com/tours_map.php

to get to as many stops as possible. Pose yourself for a photo at the gate of the White House and / or the Capitol (something you can't do in some countries). Choose ONE Smithsonian Museum to visit (I recommend Air & Space), and remember they close at 5pm. You can wander amongst the monuments even at night. And keep your wits about; petty criminals know there are a lot of tired, distracted, careless persons at the Mall.
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:20 AM

The National Gallery of Art is amazing!
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Since you are from Canada, I think the American History Museum would be a good stop. It has many interesting exhibits all about our country!
I agree walking the mall is a nice way to see DC
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM

I agree with the idea of Tourmobile and I would start the day by getting on Metro and exiting at the Smithsonian stop. The view upon exiting at that stop is ALWAYS breathtaking to me. You come up from a dark tunnel into daylight; step off the escalator onto solid ground; look in front ...turn to look behind...WOW!

Then walk toward the Washington Monument where you can buy a Tourmobile ticket as you cross the street in that direction.