What Shows to See in NYC???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’ll have time to see one or two musicals and one non-musical in NYC Tuesday, Jan. 5th – Friday, Jan. 8th. I’m guessing that will be a slow week for theater ticket sales and ½ price TKTS would be nice—but not mandatory.

FYI, we’re two men in their 50’s. What do we like—and not like? I’m a huge Sondheim fan—but am not especially drawn to West Side Story or the other revivals (“Finian’s Rainbow,” “Hair,” “South Pacific.”) For me, “Sunday in the Park with George” is the ultimate.

LOVED: Wicked, Avenue Q, Lion King, Dame Edna, Forbidden Broadway

HATED: Rent

We’re considering “Billy Elliot” & “Wishful Drinking.” Maybe “Next to Normal.”

With all its awards I’d wanted to see “In the Heights” – but from the ads, I get the sense that it might be similar to rent.

Whaddya think? Thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I thoroughly enjoyed "Jersey Boys", in Melbourne last week. If it's still running in NYC, I think you'd like it.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM

We really liked Billy Elliot. Great dancing!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Jersey Boys!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

For some reason my previous post didn't show up. I've already seen "Jersey Boys" -- and loved it!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM

There's a revival of A Little Night Music with Angela Lansbury but I haven't seen it yet.

There's a major thread called Broadway Banter that you might want to look at.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Well, there's a new production of A Little Night Music for the Sondheim fan with Catherine Zeta Jones and Angela Lansbury, but I don't know if you'd be able to get decent tickets now.

There's very little in In The Heights that's like Rent (to me at least).

I believe Wishful Drinking is still playing, and it's great, and I'm sure you'd like it.

Next to Normal is actually very Sondheim-ish, so I think you might like that. And it's a good show.

West Side Story has been showing up on TKTS, and it's a great production (and also Sondheim); even if you aren't drawn to it, you might be at half-price. God of Carnage is also a great play (though no longer with the original cast). It might also be a possibility.

I'd go see Finian's Rainbow for the cast; the show perhaps not, but the performers are amazingly talented (and the show has been showing up on TKTS as well).

If you want to see one of the top shows, buy full-price ticket for a weeknight (Tuesday or Wednesday is usually easiest to get). Then pick up a couple of shows at TKTS. The shows are probably a bit slower next week, but don't expect to be able to pick up tickets to a show like Jersey Boys or Billy Elliot without having bought them in advance.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM
DDA

another vote for Billy Elliot!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM

If you're only looking for discount tickets, then forget about Billy Elliot. But, if you're willing to pay full price, get tickets immediately. It's also doubtful that A Little Night Music will be discounted.
I agree with the reocmmendation for Wishful Drinking....and that will be available at TKTS when you're here.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Lansbury and Zeta Jones both got rave reviews.

I would buy advance discount tickets now for the best choice. Go to broadwaybox.com to see who will be offering discounts.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM

I think "In the Heights" is fantastic and not at all like Rent. As a Sondheim fan, "Night Music" seems a must see if you can get tickets. You should plan a return visit in the spring for this http://www.playbill.com/events/event...m-at-Studio-54
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM

We enjoyed Billy Elliot.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for Finian's Rainbow. Scenery/production are sort of minimalist, but the cast is exceptional! We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of that show.

I haven't seen the current production of Ragtime (but did see the previous production several times) and it's receiving raves.

I, personally, prefer to purchase discounted tickets online (despite the ridiculous fees) rather than waste time during a short visit standing in the TKTS line or trecking down to the other booth (where lines are always shorter).

And, lately, I opt for "pick up at box office" so there's no remembering to bring the tickets. The lines are never long and/or move swiftly.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. No tix available for “Night Music” but that’s okay because I’ve seen it – with the original cast.

Saw the original production of "Ragtime" and "liked" it -- but didn't love it.

Will likely go for "In the Heights" -- since no one is saying it's similar to "Rent," and possibly "West Side Story" or "Next to Normal." Unfortunately, stubborn DP isn't interested in "Billy Elliot." Maybe "Wishful Drinking," too.

In the past I've waited hours in line for the "Wicked" lottery (and got 1st row center for $25 for Idina Menzel's next to final performance!!!); waited at dawn for standing room for "Phantom," "The Producers," and "The Lion King." I'm realizing that sadly, there aren't any shows I'm dying to see right now.

And ... thinking about the weather--and my limited time--I might indeed opt for discount tix online instead of TKTS.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM

If you're concerned with price, you might print out the discount code offers and simply go to the appropriate box offices when you arrive in New York for the tickets at those reduced prices but also say $10 to $15 a ticket in fees that you'll pay if you book online.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 05:31 AM

If you want to try TKTS, head DOWNTOWN to the South Street Seaport location. That booth opens at 10am (I think), and there is rarely much of a line, so you can get tickets earlier and then head up to Chinatown for Dim Sum.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM

I loved In the Heights but I think there were parts that were pretty derivatave of Rent.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions...ESPECIALLY the Dim Sum.

Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:37 AM

I've been hearing raves for "Brief Encounter" playing in Brooklyn. You should get tickets immediately. http://stannswarehouse.org/current_s...php?show_id=42
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM

I think you should go see MEMPHIS. It is terrific. Read the audience review on the NY Times blog . . . Most totally disagree with Isherwood's review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -