What is your favorite Hotel, and why?

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 09:08 AM
curious

What is your favorite Hotel, and why?

It's always interesting to find out what makes for a great Hotel and or Resort so I was wondering, what is everyone's favorite hotel or resort and what is it about the place that makes it so great?

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 11:17 AM
steve

Ventana in Big Sur does the trick for me. It's laid back with big rooms, most with jacuzzi's on the back porch. The fireplace is romantic. The smell of the ocean and the redwoods pervades the place. Breakfasts eaten on the back porch are a delight. The walk through the redwoods to get to the world class restaurant is great. The common japanese hot tub is wonderful. The hiking is good. The staff is helpful. It's private. For romance and relaxation it just can't be beat.

Runner up though was Four Seasons in Nevis. All couples and everyone was happy and easy going. Both of these places are expensive and perhaps overpriced, but they are my favorites.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Frank

The Worthington in Fort Worth. The hotel hit all the right notes and was a big suprise since I didn't think Fort Worth would have such a first rate hotel.

The Peabody in Memphis. It's all about the ducks!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Carol

Hayman Island Resort, Queensland Australia. (No it's not in the US, but curious didn't necessarily restrict her request either).
The ultimate in unique environment mixed with luxury and privacy.
Flights are into tiny Hamilton Island, where a huge seagoing yacht picks you up for the hour long trip out to the Resort. Check-in is done privately on the yacht over champaign.
Much like Fantasy Island, the resort is the only building on this island out in the ocean adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef. Beautiful pools, quiet beaches with shallow waters well out into the small bay.
Standard rooms are too small, but the suites are outstanding at about 1200 sq ft, with huge baths and lanai. Day trips by seaplane out to the GBR are wonderful. Or the resort will arrange lunch for you on one of the deserted islands in the area on which you may sun/swim/luxuriate to your heart's content.
Stunning quietness. Extremely bright starscapes which are indescribable due to the lack of civilization anywhere near. The sky is just packed densely with stars due to the clarity of the night sky and very low humidity in this area.
Bill Gates visits regularly. Can't be all bad.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Linda

Also not in the US, but my absolute favorite is Dalhousie Castle, outside Edinborough, Scotland. Elegant, wonderfully decorated, friendly and helpful staff, gourmet restaurant, and it's on its own estate, which is so quiet and restful. Pricey, but S-O-O worth the money.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Laura

Linda, just visited the website

http://www.dalhousiecastle.co.uk/welcome.htm

and it looks fabulous.....the picture of the Dungeon restaurant hooked me...I know I will go to this castle...thank you!!! By the way, the table d'hote is is 25.50 pounds per person...is it worth it?

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Linda

Laura, definitely. Some of the best gourmet food I've ever had. There is NOTHING about this hotel that is not worth it. By the way, if you are a golfer, they can make a good deal with you to play a round at Glen Eagles course. And thanks for the web site.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 09:29 PM
ldsant

One of my favorites is the Phoenician in Scottsdale. The grounds, the pools, and the room (casita) were wonderful. The staff made me feel like all I had to do was "think it" and it would happen.

Another favorite in the same area (Sedona) is Enchantment. Rooms are not all that wonderful, but the resort's location, spa, and food as well as the amenities were great.

I think that what makes a hotel great is the attitude of the staff. They make you feel like you're welcomed rather than making you feel like you're an intrusion.