Search

What is "Milepost"

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Dan

What is "Milepost"

What is "Milepost"? I have seen alot of references towards this in this forum. Is it the equivalent to the "Revealed" Guidebooks for Hawaii from wizard publishing?

Where can I get it?

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:32 PM
sue

I recently bought a Milepost for Alaska. Gives mile by mile description of EVERYTHING!! Has good info about lodging, restaurants, hiking trails, etc. Not sure what it is the equivalent of. Just know when we started planning our trip to Alaska, everyone said to get it!!! Purchased at a local bookstore!

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Dan

thanks

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Mike W

The Milepost seems to be the best mile-by-mile guide to the roads in Alaska (including above and beyond descriptions like "waterfall to the left at MP67"). We plan to use it this summer.

The most interesting tool I've discovered, however, is the Great Alaskan Toursaver coupon book. At $99.00, I was afraid to buy it at first, but now that I have it and have booked things with it, I am so glad I found it. If you check out their website, you will get the idea of what kind of things they offer: www.toursaver.com The best ones that I have used so far were two-for-one nights at the Edgewater Hotel in Seward, a two-for-one Princess rail package from Anchorage to Denali with lodging at the Princess Wilderness Lodge, and two-for-ones on some Kenai Fjords Tours. Other coupons of interest were free entrance to the Alaska Sealife Center, two-for-ones on many hotels in Anchorage, some in Seward and some in Denali, discounts on flightseeing, kayaking and river rafting.

In short, it pays for itself real quick. My only guess on how they were able to do this is that the book says inside that it benefits the Special Olympics, so maybe that's why these vendors are so generous with their coupons. Some are even totally free, not buy one-get one.

I hope this long post gives everyone another tool...

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Eyal

Can U get the milepost at any bookstore?

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Polly

Any? That's like the word 'never' on a true-false test. You can get it at MOST bookstores and, for sure, at Amazon.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Patrick

I know Mike loves that coupon book, but after his recommendation last year I looked at it. It was totally useless to us for our full month in Alaska last July. Most coupons are only good for last minute availability. I got excited when it actually said we could get a half price companion at two of the backcountry lodges we wanted to stay at, but a call to them confirmed we'd never be able to use it in the main season -- it's only good if not already booked, and they are booked solid months ahead. They wouldn't accept it when I booked in October for the following July. I couldn't find a coupon for a single restaurant or attraction I was interested in.

But the Milepost is a definite must!