Reload this Page >

Chicago for three days in early June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Robin

My wife and I are visiting Chicago June 6-9 for our anniversary. Both of us are from Los Angeles and have never vistited. We are looking for fun things to do during our short stay. Any must see or must do type things or activities?

Our hotel is located on the loop. However, we are wondering if we should rent a car or if public transportation can safely get us to the areas of interest.

We are also wondering what the wheather will be like. We have heard that it can be oppressively humid but also that in early June it can still be cold. Any idea about the likely temp. during that time of year based upon experience?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Lois

I've visited Chicago twice during late May and early June. Both times we were there, the weather was very warm [probably like your weather in late April]. I'd recommend a boat tour. There's an excellent one that includes the local architecture. You'd have to be more specific about your interests. Chicago is a huge city, and has so much to offer. Your short stay will limit you. I'd focus on a few sites, depending on your preferences.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Mary

Have lived in a suburb of Chicago for the past 2 years. It is a great city!You will love it--very clean--alot to do. Do not rent a car. You can walk most places or grab a cab which are plentiful. Take a lunch or dinner cruise on Lake Michigan on the Odeyssy (romantic-good band) or for more casual fun the "ugly Duck". Have a drink on top of the Hancock building or stay for dinner (the best view in the city). Stroll Michigan Ave for great shopping. Visit the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Art Institute. Try to get to the Lincoln Park Zoo (small w/a great Ape house). Walk the length of Navy Pier (my favorite) and stop for a drink at one of the outdoor bars and absorb the view of our beautiful Lake Michigan. E-mail me w/any questions.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Denise

I live in Chicag and just happened to see this when I was posting a question. What do you like to do? You don't need a car, if you are staying in the Loop.

My anniversay is June 3. I was married downtown. The weather was perfect, then it suddenly dropped 20 degrees. In June, it should be pleasant. You don't
need anything heavier than a spring jacket or sweater. Bring at least one pair of shorts, walking shoes and a small umbrella.

There are alot of museums such as the Art Institue, Michigan Avenue and Lincoln Park. Your hotel concierge can direct you. Some of the popular attractions include the Sears Tower (not that popular now) and the Chicago Board of Trade. Second City is a fun comedy club, but L.A. has many of those.
Have fun!

Old May 9th, 2002, 03:44 AM
s.fowler

First -- thanks for visting our great city

No need for a car. You can walk or catch cabs. Let me know what your food interests are and we can recommend some great places to eat!

Here are a few websites to get you started

http://www.architecture.org/
walking and boat tours

http://www.artic.edu/aic/
Art Institute of Chicago

http://www.fmnh.org/
The Field Museum

http://metromix.com/
The site I use for restaurants and offbeat things to do.

Fell free to email me with any questions!

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:51 AM
patg

Hi from a a lifelong Chicagoan -

Must-sees vary by person. Many will mention Navy Pier, although I think it more of a family outing than a couples outing. For a romantic evening, I would recommend Ravinia Park in Highland Park, a beautiful outdoor concert venue. You can take the train from the Northwestern Station right to the entrance. As others have mentioned, there is no need to rent a car here. Take the El from the airport to downtown, and take cabs to and from North Michigan Avenue. Much cheaper and easier than trying to park your car.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation offers many excellent tours; one of the most popular is the Chicago by River Cruise. You should try to get advance reservations for this as they often sell out. www.architecture.org

If you are interested in historic buildings, it's fun to take your own "tour" of great Chicago hotel lobbies. The Palmer House and the Chicago Hilton are two beauties. And a game at Wrigley Field is the quintessential city outing, full of quintessential Chicagoans! Again, the ballpark is easily reached by El train from the Loop.

Weather in early June is about as good as it gets in Chicago. Normal highs would be in the mid-to-upper 70s, but you could see temps in the upper 80s or lows in the fifties. Really, you won't need your snowsuit, just a sweater and a raincoat. The "cooler near the lake" phenomenom will affect you downtown; temps are sometimes 10 degrees lower in the Loop if the wind is off the lake. Don't go to Navy Pier on a windy day.

A great site for tourist information is
www.chicago.il.com

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Laurie

You have a lot of great suggestions here. I would definetly do the architectural boat tour. We took my brother and his wife when they were visiting last summer and they really enjoyed it. I would also recommend visiting the John Hancock building and either have drinks or visit the observatory. The restaurant is overpriced and really isn't that good and the view is just as good while you sit and have a cocktail. I would not go to the Sears Tower - I think the view from Hancock is better and there really isn't that much to see around the Sears Tower. You should visit at least one of our museums - they are great. Are the Cubs in town that weekend? Wrigley Field is fun even if you just go to people watch. No one mentioned restaurants but if you like Mexican you should go to Frontera Grill or the more upscale sister restaurant Topolabampo (sp?). However, Frontera gets very crowded and does not take reservations - Topo takes reservations. There are a lot of good restaurants just south of the loop on Taylor Street (Little Italy). I love Tuscany and Francesca - both have branches also on the north side. Hope you have fun. I am traveling with my family to LA for the first time in August. If you have any advice for me, feel free to e-mail me directly. We plan to stay for 9 nights and will probably go to San Diego for a few of the nights.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:05 AM
XXX

Robin,

You will love Chicago. It's a very neat city. The mass transit system is great and easy to navigate. The El is really neat.

Since you are from LA, visiting Chicago will give you an opportunity to see a "real" city, not just a spread out big town.

Enjoy! See the Cubs. Wrigley makes Dodger Stadium look like pure plastic.

XXX

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Robin

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I am looking forward to our trip more then ever. If any of you ever need advice on LA or SF, please e-mail me. Thanks again.

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
cl9

You've gotten good advice so far.
My husband and I went to Chicago last June.
The John Hanncock Building was the best veiw. We also thought that the veiw from Navy peir was lovely. We stayed just off the loop and walked (or took the el) everwhere. The Field museum was great but a bit overwhelming. (we hope to do the aquarium and planetarium next time). There are some smaller museums on N. Michigan avenue that are worth visiting.
I am not a "city" girl, but I was comfortable finding my way around everywhere.

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Paula Peredo

Hi, I'm a exchange Student here, I'm from Chile and now I'm liveing in Fort Collins, CO. I don't know very much Enghlish yet, but I' trying to learn more...And in JUne I wanna go to Chicago, because I wanna see a exciting city, and I think Chicago is, but I don't know where to go, what to see there, or something like that, so if somebody know of places to visit or tours to take there, or something like that, please tellme because I' m going alone and I'm a little scared about that, pkease help me as soon is possible...Thanks.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:32 AM
J

You have several great suggestions here, I just wanted to second the Ravinia idea. It is really wonderful. Pick up some food and wine and check out www.ravinia.org for calendar & train info. You will have to take a cab to the train station.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Mary

Go to Metromix.com for great ideas. Instead of Ravinia check out Grant Park Music Festival. It has great music, you don't have to travel far,you can pack a picnic, the views of the city at night are breathtaking, and the concert is free. What more can you ask for? The concerts start June14th

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Cheryl

Do you have any more information about a Grant Park Music Festival starting June 14? I just checked metromix.com and couldn't find anything for that date. (That would be great if there is one because I am going to be in Chicago June 15-20.)

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:10 PM
kris

Try this link for the Grant Park music festival

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/CulturalAffa...cFestival.html