Reload this Page >

Chicago in May with husband

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 10:24 AM
kristen

My husband and I are planning a trip to Chicago in May for a long weekend. Not usre where we should stay. Have heard good things about the Swissotel and Hyatt. Any suggestions of what we should do? We have never been. We are planning on going to a baseball game. Thanks.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 11:09 AM
hal

Budget?
That's pretty important if you want advice.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Both the Swisshotel and Hyatt are nice, but there are a number of other excellent choices on Michigan Avenue and the immediate area. Taking a look at all of them will give you a better shot at nice accommodations for a reasonable cost. (I've used www.quikbook.com with good results, but I've seen some real deals reported by Priceline bidders, too).

Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier are great places to check out, with lots of great stores, shops, restaurants and watering holes. Really, this area has so much that it is the kind of place you can go to with no particular agenda. (Take your camera to Navy Pier and you can get some great shots of the Chicago skyline from the ferris wheel).

There are some outstanding museums. The art institute is in the immediate area and its top shelf. If you like natural history museums, the Field Museum is excellent and the Museum of Science and Industry has enough on display to take an entire day. The Shedd Aquarium is also interesting. With a long weekend, you'll have plenty of time to make use of the "El" for easy access to other areas.

Chicago is a great city for dining out. I always enjoy Chinatown for some great meals, but it only the beginning of Chicago's plethora of rich, ethnic dining experiences.

You and your husband will have a wonderful time. (Others will have more insight on baseball, but if you're planning on a Cubs game, those tickets are a little tougher to come by than White Sox so I think you'll want to be ready to order just as soon as they become available).

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Cheryl

I was in Chicago last June with my husband and we had a great time ... Here's some suggestions for nightlife:

Second City Comedy Club (and there's a great casual Mexican restaurant next door, The Adobo Grill), Blue Man Group, catch some live music at Buddy' Guy's Blues Club, Blue Chicago, or House of Blues. Drinks at dusk at the bar on the top of the Hancock Tower.

Definitely take in a baseball game at Wrigley Field ... I'd recommend taking the subway. The museums recommended by the above poster are great. The Art Institute has free admission one day (?Tuesdays) and is also near Grant (?Gantt) Park which is nice to walk around ... a beautiful fountain is in the middle of the park.

I would also recommend one of the architectural boat tours that go along the river.

Enjoy Chicago ... It's a great city!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Terri

I'm not sure about hotels - I have stayed in the Hilton towers inn across from the lake very nice but paid for by my employer if you go that way ask for a corner room on the lake side.
My husband I love to eat pizza at Lou Malnatis - we go to the one on North Wells Ave - don't trust the taxi drivers some of them will drop you at the nearest corner - but check before you get out of the taxi where you are.
Also we loved going to the top of the Sears tower right before sunset - you get to see it by night and day view - they do route you through a film/talk which you can skip if you ask.
We didn't think much of the Navy Pier - especially the restaurants - but they had a nice stained glass display - The architectural tour on the boat was wonderful - riverside views of all the sky scrapers, people who really knew the buildings. Have fun.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Rob

Thumbs up:
Michigan Avenue shopping
Giordano's pizza
ball game at Wrigley
Chicago Art Institute
great restaurants too numerous to list
walk along the lakefront if the weather is nice

Thumbs down:
shopping at Navy Pier (weak)
hotels anywhere in the loop
Pizzeria Uno/Due, Geno's and Lou Malnati's pizza

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree whole-heartedly that SHOPPING at Navy Pier is not much better than a glorified flea market, btw, so I should have been more clear in my prior posting. I only suggest it is as a place to go for a walk and some of the boat tours may cast off from there.

Another great place to eat in that area to add to your growing list: Emilio's tapas restaurant, "Sol y Nieve", 215 East Ohio Street, (312)467-7177.