Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is it like to see a band at First Avenue in Minneapolis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 11:39 AM
E
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me out, Minneapolitans: we're going to see a band at First Avenue, and would love to know what it's like. Since tix are general admission, and doors open at 7pm, what time should we get there? Are there seats to snag, or tables? If we're late, do we have to stand the whole time? Does the act start at 7pm? I know, I should call the club, but I thought I'd check here in case any Fodorites have been there recently. Thanks!
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 11:49 AM

First Ave is one of the best places ever to see a show. The main floor is all standing (at least the times I've been there) and there is an upper level with a few tables. Who are you going to see? If the doors open at 7pm the show probably doesn't start until 8pm. There are also lots of fun bars and restaurants nearby. Have fun.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 11:55 AM
E
Original Poster

Lucinda Williams. Should be great! Thanks for the info--you think we could snag a table if we show up at 7pm? Hard to say, right?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:44 AM

I love First Ave. If you go there right at 7 when the doors open, outside the building (on the doors) they will have signs saying Lucinda Williams 9pm or something. Don't go in then though otherwise I you can't leave. Go back about an hour before she is set to go on. (you can hang out at O'Donovans, a cool little Irish Pub across the street)

I personally don't like sitting at tables since you can get right up front (less that 5 feet from the band) but whatever you prefer. Have a great time!
Jen
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:37 AM
E
Original Poster

Thanks, Jen, and maslow! After calling the club in advance to get advice, we decided to stand in line outside beginning at 6:30pm, in the hopes of snagging a seat inside. Jen, they did post the set times on the door, 8:15 for the opening act (Bottle Rockets), and 9:30 for LW, in this case.

For future reference:
First Ave has 2 levels, a main floor and a perimeter balcony. There are tables on both levels, but very, very few. The best ones are upstairs on the rail, because they give a great view of the stage; all the other tables you'll have to abandon once the show starts in order to get up and see the stage.

So we got pretty lucky, in that we snagged a table even though we were nowhere near the front of the line. Unfortunately, it was on the outer wall, which meant that we couldn't see the stage at all once it got crowded. But it was cool--we sat and chilled, then left to stake out standing room just before the headliner came on. Next time, we might take Jen's advice and go in just before the acts start. There are tons of bars and restaurants in which to kill time in the immediate vicinity.

It's an intimate venue, surprisingly clean for a venerable old club (yep, even the bathrooms!), the drinks are strong and the waitresses fast and friendly. The big downside for us nonsmokers: it's a smoke pit. And standing up the entire show could get tedious, depending on the performer. But the First Ave is living history, and we're glad to have seen such a great show there. Thanks again for the advice!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:39 AM
jor

E, It used to be called Uncle Sams back in the late 70's when I used to see Prince as a back up drummer for the recorded disco music. Last year I was in a pub adjacent to First Ave. and got a discount cerificate to get in. Just be nice to the bar tenders and ask for one.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:44 AM
E
Original Poster

Fascinating, Jor--what I wouldn't give to see Prince there now! I've heard that he occasionally shows up unannounced to perform at local places when he's working on new material; I guess my only other chance to see him would be if he showed up at my door to prosletyze for Jehovah's Witnesses! Hey, maybe HE could convert me...if he brought his guitar along!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:23 PM
jor

E, If Prince showed up at my door as a Witness for the Jehovah's Witnesses I would not answer the door. I love his music but not his life choices. Their views about children are so wrong.