NYC Thanksgiving Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thx to all the posters who helped so much with planning this Thanksgiving w/end trip. I'm providing a trip report in hopes that others traveling to this amazing city might find some helpful tips in it.

Transportation
We tried to leave right after work on Wed (4:50 pm flight) but our flight was delayed. That wasn't surprising but Continental's handling of it was: made regular update announcements, opened a beverage and snack cart, and gave an appearance of concern for those making connections. Interestingly, the delay was shorter than initially announced and even tho the plane left late, people seemed happy since it wasn't as late as expected - a good use of underpromise-over deliver. After having experienced significant delays every time we've flown this year (one up to 40 hrs!), we were delighted with the airline's effort.

There are often questions on this board about whether it's possible to take public transit from Newark to Manhattan. The reply is often 'not for the weak of heart." I definitely agree! We decided to take AirTrain & transit into the city as we were to arrive during rush hour on a very busy travel day (eve of T'giving) and we thought it would be the fastest way into the city. We're a late 30s, active couple and while we were fine with it, I would definitely advise against it if you're traveling with young children (say under 10) or people with mobility issues.

It was easy to figure out where to go and purchase tickets, $15/person one-way. However, handling the luggage and crowds could be challenging. I could not imagine trying to do this while holding "little Suzie's hand" or trying to prevent family members from being swept away with a diverging crowd stream. Even tho some of the stations have escalators, don't count on them to be working. We learnt this as we hauled our luggage up several escalators. If you want to use Air Train & transit to get into the city ensure you can carry all your luggage at one go. Due to an unexpected business trip for me, we had more luggage than usual and we could not have handled any more: 1 daypack, 1 large and 1 carry-on size rollers, and 1 medium duffle bag (which I easily nestled on top of the hardcase carry-on roller).

Our "Amazing Race" moment of error came at Penn Station where we were going to transfer to Columbus Circle. The A, C or 1 train would have taken us there and we found the 1 train ramp quite easily. However, looking at the map it appeared that if we went to the A/C platform, we could take whichever train came first. Bad move. A/C were FAR away (remember we're fully dressed for the cold, hauling luggage thru Penn Stn during late rush hour...LOL!) and when we arrived the trains weren't on the same platform so we had to choose one or the other anyways.

For getting around we bought 7 day MetroCards right when we arrived at Penn Station. These were great as we never had to worry about having change, etc. We hopped on and off a lot of subways and buses and even tho we were only there for 4 days, it was well worth the value. We caught a cab the few times we didn't want to wait.

Getting back to EWR from the city, we'd planned to take Olympia bus from PABT. I wanted to have the trip planning squared away as I was extremely busy trying to get other things organized, and since we were leaving at 4:30 am, I did not want to run into any hassles of buying tickets at the bus terminal so I bought my tickets on-line in advance. However, a last minute business trip requirement for me, meant we would cab it. So we threw away the $28 cost of the tickets for DH and I. The cab ride cost $63. Make sure that you check that the cab takes credit cards before you get in tho. Thinking the driver was taking us for a ride by claiming not to be able to process credit cards, and telling him we didn't have cash left us both in an awkward situation.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

The Hotel - 6 Columbus Review
This "new" boutique hotel is actually a refurbished one that was a couple of years in the making. The only clue that it was a hotel in a prior life was the small rooms - everything seemed brand new: swish lobby and hallways, fast elevators, completely renovated rooms.

The address is Columbus Circle but the entrance is actually on 58th; there's a "6" brightly lit that beckons guests home.

Since this is a new hotel, I'll provide a more detailed review. The rooms here are small: Pods 175 sq ft, Queen Deluxe 200 and Qu Superior 250. All pods' windows face the alley which gives the view of a pipe duct! Oh well, at least you get some light into your room.

When I phoned prior to making my rez, I was told the pod rooms were definitely fine for 2 guests. However, I think it's really set up for a single: one bathrobe and most tellingly, only one blonde/chocolate brownie left with turn-down service...LOL!

In actuality, I think they did an excellent job with making the space functional: two wide drawers under the bed, petite nightstands had cubby holes and drawers, small safe, and the bathroom window sill was very deep and right beside the sink so it easily held all our toiletries.

The room also had an armoire, a good size flat panel tv, iPod alarm clock, fridge stocked with Dean & Deluca treats and more, heated tiled bathroom floor, and the "Fresh" toiletries were a treat. (So if you're used to Marriott rooms, there is no desk, desk chair, wing chair, tv armoire, etc.). Also having a luggage rack (the porter offered to bring us one), made for a handy surface for purse and daypack at the end of the day.

If you use the space efficiently (e.g., we put our empty suitcases on top of the armoire), the room is fine for space. Having said that, both of us together are less than 250 lbs soaking wet. If guests were larger, say 6+ ft, etc., they may want to book something larger than the pod.

The bed was very comfy, the housekeeping gave good service. We found housekeeping and maintenance staff waiting for elevators a few times and we were amused that only on a couple of occasions did join us in the elevator despite our enthusiastic encouragement to do so.

I phone the hotel twice before finalizing our reservation and I was impressed with the training of the hotel phone agents. They were knowledgeable (room sizes, views, etc.) compared to other hotels' agents. However, I was disappointed with the front desk upon arrival. Two agents were working and one was busy checking in another agent. The other agent just busied herself, furtively glancing at us occasionally but never acknowledging us. After about 5 minutes, the first agent asked the other agent if she could check us in. The agent did so but perhaps she didn't want to as it might have been her first shift - she misread the registration form and panicked me a bit when she confirmed we were staying for 2 nights (we were staying for 4 and she had confused the "# of guests" line).

The staff here are concerned about customer service. There was no doorman when we arrived but when a porter arrived, he asked our names and radio'd the front desk so we could be greeted by name. The doormen were at the door less than half the time (we came and went a lot) as they spent time socializing with the front desk, etc. However, they were always friendly and helpful - if they saw us walking from the elevator they'd run to beat us to the door and call out from behind us to let us know they "could get the door for you." Once when DH commented that he should have taken the umbrella provided in the room (nice touch) and I suggested we had time if he wanted to go and get it, the doorman overheard and said they had spares downstairs and lent us one. I much prefer the younger staff who might not be "at their station" all the time but are sincere and friendly in their service.

The self-serve continental breakfast served in the bar downstairs provides a good morning searing coffee wake up (for DH) and had a nice selection of teas (for me). There was fair selection of light Bouchon baked goods (e.g., no danishes nor croissants), and was good to get us rolling for the day. This was a bonus since it isn't mentioned on their website so we weren't disappointed that it wasn't the type of spread to which you looked forward.

The only things lacking about this hotel would be that the room was fairly dark even with all the lights on (hard to put on your face while the other's in the bathroom), and that the bathroom was built for giants - when I stood in front of the sink mirror I could only see my eyebrows and forehead!

This place had a fabulous location, literally across the street from the subway station. Apart from heading to the Apple store on 5th Ave at midnite, it was very easy to transit everywhere.

This was a wonderful place - just the right amount of hipness. I was a little worried we might not be chic enough for it (a la W Times Sq) but we would definitely stay here again (mind you I found it at a crazie price and probably couldn't stomach its peak season pricing of $500+/nite).
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Food
One night before heading in for the night we stopped by The Coliseum Bar, right beside the hotel, for dessert and a drink. While the place was not busy when we entered and placed our order, the place soon picked up. Unfortunately our order of Rockefeller cake a la mode was tossed on our table with the ice cream almost already completely melted. With so many places to go in NYC, don't bother with this one.

The only rezzies we had were for dinner at Maria Pia on T'giving day. Their prix fixe traditional meal would have been too much food for me, but they were wonderful in allowing me to order the pumkin lobster risotto and pumpkin pie a la carte from that menu. The "breadman" stopped by to offer us yummy focaccia bread; the second offering was for rolls but we passed - they looked good tho. I like this concept as I often think the bread baskets put down on a table are such a waste (when the unfinished basket of bread is tossed out after it is cleared for dessert.) This place comes Fodorite recommended - and I heartily agree from the warm greeting (and not chastising us for being late) to the very helpful and gracious waiters, and most importantly the delicious food; this place is an excellent value.

We also sampled tasty chicken kabobs from vendors; in Chinatown, enjoyed original flavors from the namesake Ice Cream factory even in the cold, chopsticked at one of the many "5 dumplings for $1" storefronts (can't beat that price), communed at a table for traditional dim sum with cart service at Jing Fong (food was mid-level, but we'd try somewhere else next time); caved into the smells of Cinnabon in Penn Station after a quick burger lunch at Papaya Dog (large made-to-order grilled burgers at very low prices); made a detour to Juniors at Grand Central Station for dinner, really with the intent of encoring their cheesecake (heaven!); snacked on sushi from Whole Foods; visited Mee Noodle shop (disappointed the "roast pork" on the menu was really bbq pork); and lucked out on a tasty Indian lunch at Bombay Express (on 9th Ave at 51st) .

As often mentioned by those in the know, opentable.com and menupages.com are excellent resources to shortlist the many NYC eateries. If you'd prefer to just browse the menus in person, there are a lot of local places to choose from running from the 50s to 40s Streets on 9th Ave.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Attractions
Even tho Broadway was dark and I was very disappointed initially as I was able to pick up excellent tickets for 3 shows, we knew there was lots to do in NYC. Having the evenings free meant more spontaneity to spend time lingering and to visit some things that had been on our list but in our previous 2.5 visits had still not managed to fit in. It was wonderful that Fodorites kept the Broadway strike thread updated, shedding light on what the issues were and tracking the progress of the negotiations. I'm delighted the strike is over and that others holding holiday tickets will be able to enjoy their shows.

THE Parade
I'll start with the eve's famous activity: the inflation of the parade balloons up by the Museum of Natural History. It was jam packed when we arrived at about 9:30 pm. There is a route you walk - you have to walk around a couple of blocks thru barricaded streets (lots of police on hand) before you get to the balloons - just follow the crowds. It is VERY crowded walking to the balloons but once you get arrive, there's lots of opportunities for photos and seeing them as the crowds shift, etc.The event is advertised as running till 10 pm, however, I believe they shut the entrance a bit after that, and let everyone who was in view all the balloons, without too much rushing. It was certainly fun and festive time.

Parade day was exciting and hectic. I thought if we were on the street by 7 am, we'd be fine - we were on the street at 6:45 am and it was too late! All the curbside spots on the sidewalks were already taken. We tried to watch from Columbus Circle but it was blocked off for VIP seating. We could not even walk up the street as they were barricaded right up to 62nd. The police said that we had to walk on something other than Broadway if we wanted to get to the higher numbers. Others around us said that in previous years it was not blocked off.

DH got a great spot for us in the upper 50s from a fella who was willing to share the space he'd blocked off for his group; he'd been there since 4 am. I am guessing from about 8 am the crush of the crowds many deep, coupled with roads being blocked off, would make it very difficult for one to rejoin their group.

What was disappointing were the number of people who were trying to bully their way into spots. Several times, the late-arriving bullies called the nearby police officers saying others weren't letting them sit down. The police must have training for this. It was a great time.

Black Friday Shopping Primer
We took in some Black Friday shopping, starting with Apple's 5th Ave store's tease which started at midnite! Those in line rec'd a sale pamphlet - the first time it'd been released. When the store opened, the snaking line was greeted by exuberant staff and the line was quickly allowed in. An okay sale and in the heat of it, we picked up an extra iPod nano, but nothing "doorcrashing" and no freebies (as they often do).

We then headed back to the hotel and caught a few zzz's before waking and heading out to Best Buy's 5 am opening. A brand new BB had just opened a few weeks earlier that was only a couple of blocks walk up Broadway.

After cleaning up and some continental breakie, we headed to Macy's madness. If you don't like crowds, avoid Macy's. The lower floors were particularly crowded. In fact DH exclaimed a few times that it was at dangerous levels around the escalators as some people stopped walking to see where they were causing backups on the moving escalators.

However, the madness was worth it for me with some good shoe and boots finds (for me it's not just a matter of price but just finding styles for 5.5 sz feet is a feat!). However, their checkout process left much to be desired as I spent an HOUR trying to pay for my purchases. Some cashiers were only taking customers who had bought shoes from them. So if you buy shoes, check at the front of the line if the cashier is processing all transactions before you queue.

Window Displays
In addition to the stores around Rockefeller Center, we checked out Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Tiffany's, Barney's, and Bergdorf Goodman. All well worth it - some of the designs were incredible (e.g., Bergdorf Goodman). I don't think one finds stuff like this outside of NYC.

MoMA
Went there one evening and while one expects the art to be fabulous we were surprised at how the space was fabulous too. Start from the top and work down.

Tenement Museum
Book in advance if this is something you want to do. The tours are small (supposed to be 12 but some groups had 14). The storefront was extremely crowded and most of the tours had sold out by the time we arrived. I had picked up tix on-line in advance. Other tourists asked us if we knew where it was as we were walking there from Chinatown, and we said we were heading there ourselves. Their group of 5 mulled their options as they saw the tours for the next few hours were marked 'sold out'.

The tour itself was interesting. Our tour was one of the ones that had a "Dialogue" hour attached to it at the end where a facilitator leads the tour group on a discussion of the social issues of immigration. Obviously the outcome of this part is dependent on the group's participants. For our group, it was a bust with some people asking to be excused 5 min later and more again 20 min later into the wilting discussion. At the second request, all group members took the opportunity to dash for the door. For us the most interesting part of the discussion when we thanked the facilitator on our way out and discovered some commonalities and chatted about them for a bit.

Top of the Rock
I know it gets a lot of recs on this board, but I was disappointed. We went up one evening and luckily it was not busy. However, I thought a prior visit to ESB was far superior. Certainly didn't think it was worth the cost.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

As I planned this trip, I thought that I'd never plan to head to NYC over T'giving again: flights were double the price, hotel bookings slim and no discounts for B'way shows that often did have them. However, having experienced the Macy's balloon blow up and the parade, I now know why it's as crowded as it is. It's a fun time to be in the city, and it certainly put us in a festive mood.

Still lots we haven't done (like walk the Brooklyn Bridge) so our next visit will be over the July 4th weekend - we know there must be some kind of big-event fireworks going on! What is it with us and busy weekends?! It must be the buzz of the city that keeps us coming back.

Enjoy-la!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
dmlove

Nice report, klam chowder. Where are you from? (I ask because we were there over Thanksgiving weekend, too, and did absolutely NO, I mean NONE, shopping (we were in stores - Virgin Records and the Strand, but not to buy) -- but then we live in San Francisco - no need to go to New York to shop at Best Buy!). We did the Tenement Museum (and lunch at Katz'), Bryant Park skating and Xmas market, Union Square green market, walk through Washington Square, the windows at Macy's, Saks and Lord & Taylor, watched the skaters at Rock Center, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge walk (lunch at Grimaldi's, chocolates at Jacques Torres), Museum of the City of New York, Columbia, Central Park. Great 4-day trip and we didn't go inside a single department store!

Old Dec 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the very detailed reports. I was fascinated with the details of this tiny roomed hotel assuming all the while it must be a real bargain. But when you said "$500 + a night" in high season, I choked! There's only a certain amount I'll pay just for "trendiness", and nothing else seems to live up to that kind of price.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the report - great detail! I too appreciated the info on the hotel, I recently saw it on quikbook.com for $199 and wondered how it was (that price though was NOT for T'giving week!)

Sounds like you really had a good time!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Great report -- I especially enjoyed reading about the parade as I love watching it every year!

(Glad you found some shoes too.)
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thx a mint for the kind comments - when I posted it, I thought, "boy, that was a lot of work, I hope ONE person reads it"...LOL!

dmlove, you guys got a lot done! We're living in Western NY, Buffalo, now. Part of the shopping was just to experience what BF in NYC is about. Altho there's Macy's here, I doubt they have the selection of NYC. When we went to the iconic 5th Ave Apple store, we got taken (consciously) with their marketing ploy that even employees wouldn't know what was on sale until 5 mins before midnite, so we went back to check it out since DH wanted a new headphones anyways. It was fun.

NeoP, yeah, I definitely agree with you; I didn't pay those sky-high prices. I booked it just after its soft opening (when only 50+ rooms of 88 were ready), and I happen to catch an anomoly on its website. A week later it was $500+.

Originally, I had a travel agent rate for 70 Park but decided we'd forego more space and preferred to try something that we might get priced out of after its opening, and of course new is always good. If I could get it for $200 or so a nite, I'd defintely stay there again. It was so convenient to have Whole Foods next door: pick up jugs of water, grab a snack from its extensive deli/take out to tide us over to a later dinner, etc.

5alive, before I went I wondered why 2-3 MILLION people would queue to see the parade. Well, now I know! Of course we lucked out with the warm weather, and didn't even bring the toques or scarves I packed.

When floats with starlets went by, the kids beside me excitedly cried, "he waved right at me!" The Sesame Street float was my favorite and I added some of the balloon pics, like Mr. Potatohead, to our Xmas letter!

Enjoy-la!