Reload this Page >

What is everyone doing this summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:27 AM
what

Summer is just around the corner (so they say). What are everyone's plans?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:58 AM
what

Ahh, it's xxx, pleasant and helpful as usual. I'll take your response as an inducation that you'll be staying home with nothing interesting to do.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:03 AM
sue

i live in vancouver, canada, probably just going to stay home for a change, so much to do here. travelled twice to mexico last year. i am slightly considering europe (amsterdam),this is my home country and I haven't been back for 15 years. this is a good post, nice to see what fodorites are up to for the summer, maybe pick up some good ideas.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:19 AM
nina

It's quickly turning into a busy summer, travelwise. My mom is retiring so is taking her kids and grandchildren to Playa Del Carmen as soon as school lets out. We come back for a week then go to Nantucket. We come back for 3 days then my husband is speaking in Prague at a conference, so he and I will go for a week and stop in Zurich on our way back for a few days. We stay home for 3 weeks and then my mom, sis and the kids will take our annual roadtrip to Kingston Plantation in MB (one of fodorites top picks for a white trash destination!) with a stop in Williamsburg on the way back. Then we're back for 3 days before school starts. Can't wait for summer!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:29 AM
al

Oh, nothing much. The traditional trip out west to the Indy 500 for a little dose of Americana, birthday in Bermuda, and after that who knows?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Owen O'Neill

Next month a weekend trip to Philly with a close friend who's mom just died - we'll just hang out, eat cheesesteaks and have a good time. Late June a trip to Telluride CO for Bluegrass festival, return and two days later off to Saratoga Springs NY for jazz festival. Labor day weekend is the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle and somwehere in the middel fot he summer I hope to get a four day snorkeling weekend in the Caribbean )if I can afford it, which is looking iffy at this point).

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:06 AM
nina

Owen, When is the jazz festival? Do you already have/need reservations? Thanks.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Stephanie P.

I'll grow some sunflowers, tomatoes and cut my raspberry bush behind my house so that I will have fresh berries. I'll have a few BBQs too. I would like to stay around SW PA and really get to know what is around here and go to Moraine State Park and Erie, PA for long weekends. So far, the weather here has not been great. I know it will change.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Paul

Would you believe Florida? Yup - Palm Beach in July. Smokey Mountains in June, and Traverse city in August. Might try and squeeze in another trip to Naples, FL too.

-Can you tell I have 2 1/2 months off?-

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Joe

Driving from SW FL to visit WA & OR in July & August.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
lisa

Memorial Day week in Paris, July 4 week out west (Rocky Mtn. National Park, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion), and MAYBE Labor Day week in Spain if I can find a decent fare.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:24 AM
sss

Hanalei, Kauai North Shore two weeks

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:14 AM
nmm

We are taking my inlaws to Ireland at the end of the month. I can't wait because my mother in laws (like a mom to me) dream is to sleep in a castle. I can't wait!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Kelly

San Francisco August

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Owen O'Neill

Nina -

The festival is at SPAC (Saratoga Performigni Arts Center), a great outdoor facility that is summer home to the NYC ballet among other things. It's on June 29th and 30th. Lawn seats are always available day of show but for inside seats best bet is to go to www.spac.org, print up a ticket order form and send a check before they go on sale at Ticketmaster. The only performers announced thus far are Cassandra Wilson and Wynton Marsalis. I generally order inside seats but hang out on the lawn durinig the day - the facility is in a beautiful park-like setting. I was ainitially a bit leery about ordering tix before knowing who would play (they will announce the line-up just before the Ticketmaster tix go on sale).I quickly overcame my hesitation after going a few times and finding there to be a good and eclectic linie-up every year. Phone charges can be done direct through SPAC or through Ticketmaster starting in mid-May but the good inside seats sell out by mail prior to that. There are generally a mix of acts including at least a few R&B, world music and/or funk groups. great music, great vibe from a mixed and laid back crowd and I haven't been rained out in years. If you want more specific including tips on accomodations, just e-mail me direct - the e-mail listed here is a working address.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:11 PM
ilisa

Well, next month, my family and I are headed to Disney as well as visiting family in Buffalo. I am going to a convention in Cincinnati in July and then my husband and I are taking a trip to Iceland at the beginning of August. The summer is one time I wished I still lived in NJ so we could make day trips to the beach like I used to do. Alas, where I live in Maryland, the beach is too far.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:23 PM
cd

Sue or anyone in the know..
We are thinking of driving to SF this summer, then up north for the redwoods and wine country and then on to Vancouver for a day and ferry to Victoria. To do that, where do we want to stay in Vancouver in order to get the ferry and is this rational?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:27 PM
l

I'm going to New York City with my 2 friends in June! And hoping for a trip to Colorado with hubby and kids later in the summer.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:40 PM
travellyn

Philadelphia followed by 2 days on an Amish farm in late May.

A week on the Colorado trail sometime in early to mid-July, then a long weekend at South Padre Island in late July, visiting family.

I hope to spend most of the summer gardening, practicing piano, and taking dayhikes whenever I'm not working.