what is a new SF resident to do???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...you all helped me find a GREAT place to live in Pac Heights near Alta Plaza, now I need help with what do do locally. Need advice for my group (late 20s-early 30s). What are good local bars (would love walking distance for casual nights) or restaurants.

Also, what are some of the must do things....not really trying to spend a lot of time doing super touristy things like the Wharf but love being outside and exploring, kayaking, hiking, taking dog new places, etc. Thanks in advance!! Loving it here...
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't help w/ bars near Pacific Hgts - but lots of others will have info for you.

But two places for sure to put on your regular or semi-regular plans for outdoorsy stuff - nearby, Chrissy field and the whole Presidio area has tons of places to explore.

And definitely go to Angel Island. Take the ferry to Tiburon and another very short ferry over to the island. Amazing views across to SF and the Golden Gate, trails and roads around and across the top of the island, historical sites from pre-civil War up to WWII, lots of wildlife, seldom any crowds at all.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you reading the SF newspapers, both mainstream and alternative? I mention this only because in Seattle there are always write-ups for new restaurants, clubs and music venues, suggested things to see and do in the city. Also subscribe to web newsletters, for instance one I get is "What's Happening in Seattle" that has tons of off-beat events listed for each week.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Suze, where do you get your "what's happening in Seattle" events list?

For SF we used to love to bike across the Golden Gate bridge and hang out in Sausalito. You can rent from the Wharf if you don't have a bike.

Also, at least during the warmer months, it seems that every weekend there's a different neighborhood street fair. Also, on non-street fair weekends, check out the different neighborhoods. We never spent much time in Pacific Heights, but liked Cow Hollow, Marina, Union Street, Mission, Protrero, Haight-Ashbury. Each has its own personality.

Also, don't forget Golden Gate park. plenty of places to roam there, including heading out to the beach.

The of course, you can venture out of SF proper.

There's so much to do there--enjoy!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Ferry Plaza Farmers Market on Saturday,take the ferry to either Angel Island or across to Tiburon. Have brunch at Sam's in Tiburon.

Walk across the GG Bridge

Check out GG National Recreation area (the hills to the Left of GG Bridge on the Marin side.)

Chrissy Field

Take dog to Fort Funston(S on Hwy 1) for a leash free run

Go to Point Reyes:
You can kayak on the Tomales side
(I think the company is Blue Water Kayak)
Walk along any number of paths
Take the dog to either Kehoe or Limantour Beach(dogs to the Left at Limantour)
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Hi darvyvt, go to the SF Chronical's website which is: www.sfgate.com

You will find all kinds of information.

Hope you are enjoying SF., I envy you!!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM
SAB

For places to hang out near you, go to Fillmore Street. For places that are crawling with your age group go to Chesnut Street in the Marina. For more edgy (hip)places (or so they think), lower Haight, Valencia, Hayes Valley. South of Market and South Beach have lots of clubs.

The great thing about not being a tourist is you have time to explore and find what appeals and what does not.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Check out Craigslist for activities/get togethers and the Sierra Club for outdoor adventures
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Go to 'Google' and type the words: What's Happening in San Francisco... you'll find all kinds on calendar events type websites listed.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM

lovesadventure- it's just something that shows up on my office email. i'll post the address next time it comes in.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Here's a dance club that I just loved going to when I lived in the area:
The Sound Factory
http://www.wcities.com/en/record/147...39/record.html

It was open until 7am.

I second the suggestiong of going to Angel Island. I belonged to a club that had fun picnics there.

You might try to search online for a group called "the Young Professionals." There are various groups across the US, but they're for people in their early 20s through mid 40s who have careers. I think it's mainly singles who just get together in groups and have social events.

I really enjoyed going for sails in the bay. I think if you look in the paper or at some marinas you might find advertisements for people who take their sailboats out on occasion and you can pay them about $45 and spend the day on their boat with a few other people.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM

This Sunday is the annual Victorian Alliance house tour. Some fantastic Victorians are open this year. The "theme" this year is "1906-2006 The Grand Survivors of Pacific Heights" featuring some magnificent houses that barely escaped burning from the '06 quake & fire.

Not many Victorian interiors are open on a regular basis - in fact, the Haas Lilienthal house is the only one I know about & it's open only 2 days a week. If you have ever driven on Franklin St, you will undoubtedly have noticed the large Queen Anne home on the corner of Franklin & California. It will be open for the tour on Sunday. The tour is from 1 to 5 on Sunday & tickets are $25 & can be obtained at 2000 Gough St.

Also, ASAP obtain a copy of "Stairway Walks in San Francisco" by Adah Bakalinsky. If you take some of the walks, you will find hidden places in SF that you probably never knew existed.

Also take several free walking tours offered by SF City Guides, which are sponsored by the Library. There are over 30 different walks offered each month. See www.sfcityguides.org for descriptions & a schedule.

Click on my name - I posted a long list of things to do & see a while back

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I'd do the tourist thing at least once and take a van/bus tour of all the parts of the city. Each neighborhood has an interesting history and that's one way to see them all at the same time, and from there you can branch out.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM

If you are living in Pac Heights, there is definately tons of bars and places to "see and be seen" type deals.

Not my type of crowd, but a lot of people like it there.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Chestnut Street is the place for you. Lots of bars and restaurants.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM

There are some good music venue's on Dicisidero, not too far from you. The Independent has indie rock stuff. I like the shops and dining on Union Street, in Cow Hollow. They have a very nice bar at the restaurant Home. Think upscale comfort food and a good winw by the glass selection. Also, in Cole Valley, I really like the bistro Zazie. Very good brunch and dinner at moderate prices.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you!! Wow, I didn't expect so many replies so quickly. I appreciate all the tips, need some days off to get started. Union/Chestnut sound like good places to go out. i think it's just a matter of exploring and wandering, every day I find cool new stuff, places, hard to narrow anything down! Must get back to work but want to say thanks, especially the sailing tips---if I could live on a sailboat (and sail) I would!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Check out Latitude 38 for sailing opportunites..google it.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:58 AM
SAB

If you are certified, you can rent sailboats in Sausalito at Cass' Marina for example--if you want to get certified, you can take lessons there. There is also a good sailing school in Berkeley OCSC. FYI my friends who sail say the SF Bay is very challenging.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM

http://www.goldstarevents.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/funcheapSF/
http://laughingsquid.com/squidlist/events/

also, check out:
http://www.yelp.com
http://www.sfstation.com

there is kayaking on the bay (http://www.citykayak.com/) that you might also enjoy.

you'll find a lot of bars on fillmore near sacramento and if you take the 22-fillmore bus up to chestnut, there's tons there, too.

good luck, and welcome to the city!