Caltrain in San Jose to San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me where does the Caltrain end up when traveling from San Jose to San Francisco? How far is the train station away from the pier and other San Francisco attractions?
Thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Hello ngoldman, the Caltran Station in SF is at 4th and Townsend. When you say the pier do you mean Fishermans Wharf? I don't know what SF attractions you mean but the station is south of the freeway, in sort of an out of the way place. But it is near the SF Bay if you walk a couple of blocks south on 4th you will be at the Embarcadero and if you than turn left in a few block you will pass the Ball Park and if you continue on you will reach the Ferry Bldg which is at the end of Market St.

There is a bus stop at the station but I don't know what routes they take.
At the Ferry Bldg. you can catch the F Line street cars that go to Fisherman's Wharf and than back down the Embarcadero and up Market St.

Again not knowing what you want to see in SF I don't know where you will want to go. There are the Muni busses, the Cable Cars, taxis, the above mentioned F Line and of course walking in SF when possible is always a good way to enjoy the city.

I am sure some other Fodorite who actually uses the Caltran Station will be able to give you even better suggestions but maybe this will get you a bit started with your plans.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your great advice! Yes, I was referring to Fishman's Wharf.It has been many years when we last visited SF that I forgot what it was called.
We would like to go from the train station to the wharf.

I remember the Embarcadero. Is this near the ferry you take to Sausalito?
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Hi ngoldman, the ferry you take to Sausalito is at the Ferry Bldg.

Here is the website (note, it does not have www in the address). http://goldengateferry.org/schedules/sausalito.php You can type in various questions on Google for various SF transportation information

I also failed to mention that BART is in SF (which no doubt you know). The nearest BART station to the Ferry building is across the Embarcadero. It is right there on Market St., and is called the Embarcadero BART station.

BTW, to catch the ferry to go to Sausalito..walk on the left hand side of the Ferry Bldg (so the Bldg is on your right. Straight ahead you will see the gate (locked when there are no ferries) and the pier. The Sausalito ferries uses the left hand side of the pier (when facing the bay). The right hand side of the pier is for the Vallejo ferries. Not well marked but if you have any questions people will be glad to help you.

If you haven't been to SF for quite awhile you might give yourself some time to enjoy the renovated Ferry Bldg. It is now like a European Market Place. Tons of interesting shops and restaurants. Between the back of the Bldg and the SF Bay is the Ferry Plaza. There are benches and also tables and chairs so you can get a drink, something to eat, or just sit on a bench and enjoy the SF Bay water scene. Also, the Ferry Bldg. has two sets of restrooms that are kept in very good condition. Inside there is a booth for the ferry information and tickets. I forget the name of this..Bay something. Any employee inside the Bldg. will be able to direct you. Have a fun visit!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM

ngoldman, just a thought due to another thread about a map for NYC

I purchased a map of SF about a year ago from Barnes and Nobles as I didn't have one.

The one I chose is the Berndtson City Streets "San Francisco" laminated map. It shows the BART & Muni Lines. It folds up to 10" X 4.5". I have never taken mine out of the house but being that it is laminated it would be good for a visitor as neither rain or wind would damage it. If you don't have a B&N or any other store near you that carries it you could check the Brendston website which is www.BERNDSTSON.com I think this map would really help you plan your time in SF.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

This is great info LoveItaly! Thanks.
We will take your advice and check out the Ferry Building. How far a walk is it from the Caltrain station?
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM

A good idea might be to take the Cal Train from San Jose to the Milbrae Station. There you can very easily transfer to BART and take the BART right into SF. You can get off at Powell Street, right at the cable car turnaround. It is much more convenient than taking Cal Train right into the city, and it is very easy to do.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks OJudy
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM

ngoldman, OJudy has an excellant idea!!! If you get off at the Powell St. BART station (the stations I am mentioning all have exits that bring you up to Market St.) you will the SF Centre across the street, Nordstrom's and lots of shops and on Sept 28th Bloomingdales is suppose to open which is right there also. If you walk the few blocks going north on Powell you will be at Union Square. And as OJudy said the CableCar turn around is right there at Market and Powell.

If you want to first get to the Ferry Bldg., than go two further stations and get off at the Embarcadero BART station and walk east on Market, the Ferry Bldg. is right across the street.

Switching to BART would certainly be a better idea than coming into the Caltran Station.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

You have all given me some great suggestions and also have brought back memories when we visited SF several years ago. I vaguely remember the areas you have been mentionning and thanks for your kind replies.

I just received an email from Caltrain who indicated that the day pass for a senior is $6.50 and for an adult who is not a senior is $13.50 all round trip.
This is a bargain as we would avoid driving in, paying for gaz and parking.

I am just wondering if the day pass also includes the Bart. I will have to check on this. Thanks again
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Not sure ngoldman but here is the BART website: http://www.bart.gov

You are very smart to not drive into SF. The parking is now sooooo expensive and unless you really know your way around it is not relaxing at all.

I hope you will give us a trip report after you get home and settled in, it would be fun to hear about your trip!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly. The SF is only a sidetrip as my wife and I will be on our way to Monterey-Carmel from San Jose to spend 10 days in the area. We thought, as we have not been to SF in such a long time, that we would spend a Sunday in this beautiful city.

I know how difficult it is to drive around SF and I was not too eager to drive in from San Jose. When I learned about the possibility of Caltrain, I jumped at the possibility.

Incidentally, it does not look as if Bart has a pass with Caltrain.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Senior tickets for BART are much cheaper then adults, you pay $6 for a $20 worth of rides. Check the Internet to know where to buy such a ticket. I don't know if it's sold at every BART station or not.

You can walk from Embarcadero station to Fishermaen's wharf and pier 39, or take MUNI. The price is 50 cents for a senior, on buses and F line. Take a transfer from the driver when paying, and you can use it as many times as you want within the time indicated on the transfer.

Ferry to Sausalito goes from 2 piers - Embarcadero and don't remember, 41 or 43.

It's a good advise to take BART, but if you go all the way to SF, then MUNI line N connects the Caltrain station in the city and the stations like Embarcadero and Powell. BART and MUNI have the same underground stations along Market street.

Or you can take buses 15, 30, 45 from Caltrain station to Fishermens area.

BART doesn't have a pass with Caltrain, but MUNI might. Check it out.

I know these possibilities are multiple and confusing! Good luck

If you need a map, the best one is the MUNI map with all bus routes in color. Very convenient to use. I know it's sold at the cable car turn-around at the corner of Powell and Market (MUNI kiosk), for other locations check Muni website.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
trippinkpj

My daughter and I used Cal Train a few years ago, from San Jose into the city. We did use the N line to the Powell station. We were staying at a Union Square area hotel.

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Yep - there is a MUNI lightrail line right outside the 4th St Caltrain station. It is very convinient. I would just go that route rather than switching to BART at Millbrae.