Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What have you learned about your own city here on Fodor's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this may seem like a troll post, and I apologize in advance for that. Most of you that have seen my posts, know I'm not. But since discovering this board I have found out a lot of interesting things about my own hometown (NYC) that I might never have found out about had it not been for the great people here.

With this in mind, is there anything about your city (places, tours, restaurants, etc.) that you didn't know about until you found this board?

And thanks to all that have helped!! I find the info here is always invaluable!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:04 AM

This is going to sound horrible, but I found out people come to VISIT my area (Durham, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas in NC)

Since I grew up here, I visited other places on vacations. Most people I know come to visit family or something at one of the universities when in the area. Not really a vacation spot in my mind. A vacation was going to the beach or to the mountains.

When I first started hanging out here (98 or 99 -- time flies) someone talked about taking a break on a road trip and spend an hour or two walking through the UNC campus. It is a beautiful campus (and so is Duke) but I never thought of this type of stop before.

I have actually applied this to travel. I stopped at the UVA campus and walked around when in Virginia a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful campus.

I also started visiting local attractions based on someone's post (like, 'so do you visit stuff at home'). Other people were like me and never visited attractions near home.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:09 AM

That I am not the only one who can't find much to do here in Dallas...
I am a native Dallasite... I have a right to say this!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Hey.. I learned that nearly everyone hates my city...lol..
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:50 AM

I can't pinpoint exact things to see/do but since I have been able to travel more and have come to this board I have learnt to appreciate my city much more. It's sometimes hard to see the best things in the city where you live and work.

The main thing I have found is that it's about time I tried to find more time to see as many of the great things here before I possibly move on elsewhere. Occasionally, I play tourist for a day and just go and see a few things I haven't yet seen in the time I have been here.

By the way, I'm in London, UK.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:57 AM

I learned that my city (San Jose, CA) is THE tourist destination for northern California.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Truthfully? Nothing much, and I hate to say that because it makes me sound like a snob. However, when I post it's usually other people who live nearby who tell me they didn't know this place or that existed or was still open.

Although, come to think of it, I wasn't very aware before coming to Travel Talk of exactly how good the dining scene in Asheville is. Posting here and reading replies to my posts as well as reading others' posts opened my eyes to the fact that it's excellent.

Also, come to think of it, I've learned -- not about my city but about human nature -- that lots of people don't want in-depth posts where things are explained clearly and lots of information is presented for the enjoyment of those coming to visit my city or for those who want lots of options to choose from when it comes to entertaiment, sights, and what have you here. It appears that some people would prefer sound bites instead. Tough noogies, I say. I'm a writer and that means I'm going to write, like it or not.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 02:16 PM

I learned that Naples, Florida is only for people over 60. That came as such a surprise to me, because a lot of nights I walk down Fifth Avenue here and can hardly make my way through the mobs of 30 somethings -- mainly overflowing from all the restaurants and bars. The other night a group of us were outside at Mangrove Cafe until 3 AM (well that was the old time, time change made an extra hour possible). We actually talked with a 32 year old cardiologist who lives in San Francisco and is ready to move to Naples. He'd been here a week and thinks it's the "most happening place" he's seen in a long time. But thank goodness some of the more knowledgeable Fodorites have set me straight that Naples is only for old people and they roll up the sidewalks at night.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Well to reiterate my posting....
I learned there are more tours and places to go and things to do than there are to shake a stick at. (Never knew about the food walking tour, the tenement museum, haunted tour, Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, etc.) The funny thing is while I sometimes yearn to be living in any other city (Boston was my last consideration) more and more people are moving here every day! The New York lifestyle is definitely a fast paced life that is not for everyone! Maybe after I get married is when I will finally leave town.....
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Since one rarely stays in the local hotels where they live, I have learned about some good ones I've never heard of before. I checked them out and found it they looked pretty good. I now recommend them just because of their surroundings. I've also learned about shuttles between Ft Lauderale and Miami airports that I never needed to use. Good info to have if you ever need to get to MIA from the Ft Laud area (and don't want to drive!)

Thanks to all the Fodorites who visited Fort Lauderdale for keeping me informed of the great spots. Maybe I'll get to play tourist sometime soon and see the sites for myself...LOL!!!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 03:28 AM

I learned that people come to Atlanta on vacation and not just as a quick weekend shopping experience or a the all to common mandatory business trip. Living here, I never thought about vacationing here. Still not real certain I would do it but you never know. It's not that I dislike Atlanta, I just would never think to visit it. Again, I live here though.

I also found it interesting that most every post about visiting Atlanta has something about our horrible traffic jams.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:57 AM

I've learned that people come to Chicago just to go to Oprah's show-I like Oprah but that blows my mind!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:35 AM

I have learned that some people don't think children should visit Napa. Seems so strange to me...(especially after returning from Italy and seeing how welcoming many people are to children (and dogs!)I have learned about some of the perceptions of Napa VS Sonoma. I was born in Sonoma and recently moved to Napa so all the suggestions have been fun for us to explore and interesting to read.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:04 AM

applejax. We took a wonderful vacation to N. Cal a couple of years ago when our kid were about 4 & 7. We all had a great time in Napa. We stayed at Maison Fleurie on Yontsville. The kids still talk about that trip and we all cannot wait to go back. Why would it not be a good place for kids in some people's opinion? Just wondering.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Calamari, While I don't agree with this thought, I think some people think Napa is nothing more that wineries and yuppies getting drunk at wine tastings and eating expensive meals. I whole heartedly disagree but I've come across many people who believe that.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I found out walking the Brooklyn Bridge is a "thing" (the first time I read this I couldn't believe it!) I've learned about what tourists like (and don't like) in NYC. I found out about discount theater ticket websites like playbill, theatermania etc. and buying tickets on ebay. I learned you can buy Empire State bldg tickets online. I've gotten lots of restaurant tips. But I guess most of all, I walk around both at home & while traveling with a keener eye so I can help/report to my Fodor's friends. Thanks guys for making me more aware of my surroundings.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:06 AM

While my town is way too small to get mentioned on here very often I have learned things about my own state. In fact prompted by a discussion on here about seeing our own backyard, I took a motorhome trip to see parts of Oregon, off the beaten trail. I have also heard so much about other towns to see that I have put them on my list as weekend jaunts to see what the buzz is about.

It has been fun to learn about restaurants but at this point (just out of college, buying, house, starting a family soon) some of those will have to wait, but they are on my list and I will get there!