Hudson Valley Lodging/Dining?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for a B&B around Rhinebeck or Hyde Park for weekend getaway in November? Is it worth a trip to the Culinary Institute for a meal? Any other dining or activity ideas for the area? Thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:27 AM

I know a text search will answer your questions but I will give you some of my favorits and you can do a search also
We always stay at the Beekman Arms or Delamater House which is theirs also. Delamater has 4 poster beds and fireplaces, both have old fashioned charm and are located right in the heart of Rhinebeck. Across the street from the Beekman is my favorite restaurant, Le Petit Bistro.
Yes, the CIA is worth it.
We always go up for a night or two in the fall. You have to book way in advance as that is the most popular time to be up in that region. We go to the farms and get apples and pumpkins, sometimes go to the Aerdrome just for the fun of it. There are many good wineries, antique shops and Historic homes to tour. Our favorite is the Vanderbilt Mansion where you can roam the grounds and have a picnic, for free. There is nothing like the view from there! also go north a little farther to Olana, home of painter Frederick Church. Then farther north from there is Hudson, an entire town of antiques shops and a good place for lunch called Charleston.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Scarlett has given some good suggestions. I would add Montgomery Place.
Unfortunately, you may already be to late to get reservations at CIA. I suggest you call immediately.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 01:01 PM

another vote for the Beekman Arms. I happen to love the Coach House but it's nothing fancy just good pub food. Check out antiquing in Saugerties. I've found some great stuff even at the flea market there. I'd also recommend a trip to Valkil(I think that's the name) Eleanor Roosevelt's "other home"..I far preferred it the mansions.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:38 AM

Here is the websit for the CIA http://www.ciachef.edu/restaurants/index.html There are only two open on Saturday's the Escoffier Restaurant And the American Bounty all are closed on Sundays. If you made it there on Friday afternoon you could get lunch at the Apple Pie Bakery without a reservation and tour of the School. You could also check the other Restaurants sometimes there are cancelations . Go to the reservations Desk when you arrive they will realy try to get you in one of the Restaurants .
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:10 AM

All great replies here - dittos on the CIA - not to be missed. My favorites are the American Bounty and the Italian restaurant. The coffee shop is pretty darned good too!

Beakman Arms is worthy of a stop, although the downtown area was just "okay" comparred to other town squares in the area, imho.

Are you taking the time to go to Mohonk Mountain House? That is REALLY a special place. Make sure to book your lunch reservation in advance if you go. It's especially wonderful if you want to hike the grounds. {I made a report here of my trip on the Hudson Valley area - click on my name if you'd like to read it.}

Happy Trails,
Paul
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions, and Paul, I'm sure your trip report will be helpful. CIA is booked for Saturday, but has availability for dinner on Friday.
Any suggestions for a day spa for a great massage?
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:44 PM

http://www.rhinebeckny.org

http://www.rhinebecknychamber.org

http://www.dutchesstourism.com

These are good for answering questions about the whole area.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Just got back from Rhinebeck and Hyde Park. The Culinary Institute is amazing! Ristorante Caterina de' Medici does not require lunch reservations, when I called before going they did not make that clear. The food was great. We went back for a quick lunch Apple Pie Bakery Café. The prices are really reasonable for what you get (compared to NYC). We stayed at the Beekman Arms and loved it. It is the oldest Inn in the US but not musty and very CLEAN! We had brunch at the Traphagen Restaurant on Sunday for 21.95 it is a good deal. I also ate at Gigi Trattoria which had a warm chocolate cake and pizza that was amazing. All in All it was a great dining experience and relaxing time.