Search

Hudson Valley

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hudson Valley

My husband and I will leave early from PA for our first time in the Hudson River Valley. We are stying for 3 nights at the Hilton Gardens in Fishkill. I have one guidebook, and no time to do thorough planning (this is a get away - and I really mean we are sneaking away from wedding plans and upcoming grandbaby pressures along with work, etc.) Please help us plan an enjoyable itinerary with perhaps one lovely Sat. night dinner spot - I'm trying the CIA but it is holiday so I'm not sure. We love art and treasures, wineries,etc. Thanks so much.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM

Maybe dinner at Beekman Arms, a bit north? (Rhinebeck)
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 01:41 PM

How about some more input into your interests, etc.? There is lots to see in the area--FDR's home, the Vanderbilt Mansion, many other restorations, etc., etc.--all within driving distance of Fishkill.
Since you say it's a holiday weekend, and that holiday happens to be Easter, you are probably too late for reservations at the CIA.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM

I like Dockside Restaurant in Cold Spring, NY, because there's a nice view of the Hudson River and the "mountain" there. I'd have to look up the correct name for it, however - not sure if you'd find it otherwise. The food is good but nothing really special or fancy. I love all of Cold Spring, actually. (It's south of Fishkill, and perhaps on the other side of the river - don't remember. It has lots of antique shops, several restaurants, and an artsy feel to it.) The West Point Military Academy is scenic and nice to visit (assume it's still open, even with terrorism)and dinner in the Thayer Inn's restaurant on the WPMA grounds would be more atmospheric for a special occasion.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM

We used to drive up to Amenia for the day, lunch at a place called Allens then drive to the Millbrook and Cascade Vineyards. It is a beautiful drive along the highway-#40 and off the Taconic so it is easy to get to.
I agree with dinner at the Beekman or across the street at the Petit Bistro.
If the weather allows, stop at a market, pick up a picnic and take it with you to the Vanderbilt Estate, find a spot and sit and overlook the Hudson while you eat.
I miss it that lovely part of NY
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:54 PM

Yes, it IS beautiful up there, and there's tons to do!