Reload this Page >

What happened to January airfares?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 08:57 AM
flyer

I feel like I am in a parallel universe this morning! I went to airline websites to book a flight on a route I frequently take. The fare is always between $160-200. Never more than that. Suddenly this a.m. the fares are over $450 on every carrier I have checked!! Why would this have happened so suddenly? I thought January was a slow travel month. I guess I will drive it instead. Any ideas?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:06 AM
Andrew

Airfares vary greatly by the route (cities) and the dates/times. Will you be flying to San Diego near Superbowl Sunday? You haven't posted anything about the cities or times involved so there's no way to answer your question.

Andrew

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:38 AM
x

They all sold out in November.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:45 AM
Gwen

I have a feeling that many of the airlines' internet fare tables expired on Dec 31 and reverted to standard (non-discounted fares). Soon, they will probably assess the revenue numbers [no book cooking, please!] generated from holiday travel and see where they stand, then offer new "deals".

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:47 AM
Kim

What are the cities and dates involved, I will check into that and see what is going on.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:50 AM
flyer

I am hoping that Gwen is right. I remember hearing about a New Years Day fare sale last year. I am looking at the DTW to DCA route and it is a route I've flown many times for under $200. I guess I will be waiting for better prices or gassing up the car(at $1.60 per gallon)! Thanks!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:00 AM
Kim

What are the dates?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 11:23 AM
x

Southwest is having a sale right now as is America West depending on when you fly. Most specials are blacked out mid-March to after Easter because of Spring Break.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM
Jackie

I have had a similiar experience. I usually go to Vegas every May and usually buy tickets in Dec. or Jan. (Phila-Vegas)Nonstop is typically any where from 200.00 to 260.00. I have been checking every day recently and have not been able to find a fare for under 375.00!! I will be buying four tickets so I will try to wait it out, but I too have been wondering, what happened?

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:02 AM
x

I have always noticed this sale trends to change as soon as the masses wait for fairs at a certain time.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
eL

RE: "Flyer" - I justed checked travelocity and the fare is $157/RT from DTW to DCA (with tax/fees you're looking at about $177). Matter-o-fact, about 5 different airlines had the same fare. Northwest will probably be your best bet. Day restrictions: could not fly on Fri. or Mon. (fly through 3/03).