Reload this Page >

What else to see in Buffalo, NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:51 AM
l

Our family of four just found out we have the opportunity to go to Buffalo next week. This is short notice for us, so I won't have much time to do any planning. I was wondering if any of you Fodorites could give me some recs on what to do in the area. We are definitely planning on seeing Niagara Falls. We have 2 daughters, ages 5 and 8. We have a variety of interests, so anything you recommend will be taken under consideration. Thanks so much.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:23 AM
rACHEL

1. Buffalo Zoo; 2. Albright Knox Art Gallery; 3. Bennett Beach (south of Buffalo) 4. Elmwood avenue-funky shops and restaurants; 5. Check Buffalo.Com to see what festivals are taking place; 6. Lockport, NY (north east of buffalo) to see working locks of the Erie Canal. Butterfly Conservatory between Niagara Falls and Nigara on the Lake-a great side trip from Niagara Falls. 7. On thursdays, there is always an outdoor concert in downtown buffalo starting at 5 pm. Usually locals artists followed by a national artist. 8. There is a concert everyday (M-F) at M & T bank at noon. It would be a chorus, an orchestra or a local band. 9. Buffalo bisons Games (if they are at home)-minor league ball in a great stadium. 10. Shakesphere in the Park-live productions nightly in Delaware Park. Have a great visit.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:43 AM
wondering

Opportunity to go to Buffalo....
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Cheryl

Rachel gave good suggestions. August in Buffalo is a time to be by the water. I suggest the Erie Basin Marina on Buffalo's waterfront. Just a wonderful place to stroll and relax. Get the kids an ice cream at the Hatch Restaurant (or a cold beer and some wings for the adults) and watch the boats coming and going on Lake Erie. Downtown is the back drop. Take a narrated sightseeing cruise on the Miss Buffalo, which docks right there at Erie Basin (www.missbuffalo.com). Also the Buffalo Naval Park (one of the largest inland) is on the waterfront not far from the Marina (www.buffalonavalpark.org/main.htm). My favorite beach is Crystal Beach; however, it is on the Canadian side - about a 15 minute drive once you've cleared customs. It's a beautiful beach with deep sand, clear water, and shallow. Great for kids.

As Rachel mentioned, a Buffalo Bisons baseball game (farm team for the Cleveland Indians) is a great family entertainment venue. And of course, Niagara Falls. Unfortunately, you're going to miss the Erie County Fair (one of the largest in the U.S.) by a few days. If you can get your hands on a copy of the Buffalo News on Friday, check out the Gusto section. It lists a LOT of things to do in the city and the general area. Have a great time.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Susan

I have a few additions, considering I live in Buffalo.
The Museum of Science is cool. http://www.buffalomuseumofscience.org/
The Erie County Historical Society
http://intotem.buffnet.net/bechs/
Botanical Gardens
http://www.buffalogardens.com/
Buffalo Naval and Military Park
http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/
Aquarium of Niagara
http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Buffalo Wings

And don't forget the Anchor Bar for their buffalo wings...

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:10 AM
l

Thanks for the replies. Those sound like some great suggestions to choose from. Now all we have to do is figure out what route to take back to Kansas.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:19 AM
noway

Do yourselves a favor and don't visit the science museum. It hasn't been updated in years and simply isn't worth the price of admission. All other suggestions given are good.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Gil

The fastest way is to probably head through Canada to get back to Kansas from Buffalo. If you're in a realy hurry, hop over the Peace Bridge and follow the QEW all the way to Hamilton. Then the 403 to Woodstock, then the 401 all the way to Windsor and cross over to Detroit.

You could also follow the QEW all the way to Toronto and spend some time there. Your money will go a lot farther in Canada. From there just take the 401 back to Windsor/Detroit.

If you're not in a terrible hurry and would like to take in some of the sites on the Canadian shore of Lake Erie follow Hwy. 3, which runs from Fort Erie to Windsor. Stays pretty much close to the water and goes through some interesting farming communities and small towns.

Things to see on our side of the border: Niagara Falls/Niagara-on-the-Lake/Niagara Wineries, Welland Canal (if you don't get a chance to see the Erie, Hwy. 3 goes right over it), Crystal Beach (off hwy. 3), Hamilton - Dundurn Castle, St. Thomas - Railway Museum, the Original Jumbo the Elephant (preserved of course), London - Storybook Gardens, Rondeau Provincial Park (warmest inland waters north of California), Point Pelee Nat'l Park(southernmost point on Canadian mainland, the southernmost point is in Lake Erie).

I'm sure there's more to do! Run a search through the Ontario page for things to do.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:59 PM
xyz

Please report back after your trip and let us know how the trip went.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Joey

Fantasy Island (on Grand Island) or Six Flags Darien Lake for the kids. Steve's Pig and Ox Roast in Lackawanna for roast beef on weck. It's right around the corner from the Botanical Gardens and Our Lady of Victory Basilica.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:40 PM
l

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We had a great trip! The Falls are just spectacular. We spent a whole day just hanging around, on both the American and Canadian sides. We started on Goat Island and did the Cave of the Winds tour. My 8 year old loved that. Then we went over to the Canadian side and strolled from the Horseshoe Falls down to Maid of the Mist. Talk about an experience! After eating dinner at Planet Hollywood, and being treated to a tightrope walker performing outside over the building, we walked back to our car and got to see the illuminated Falls. Next day we drove up to see the Botanical Gardens and Butterfly Conservatory. Beautiful! Then on up to Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is a cute little town. On our third day in the area we decided to visit the Buffalo Zoo. It is an older zoo and we were a little disappointed, but our kids liked it. We decided to come back thru the States, although we had thought about going up to Toronto for a day and then back thru Canada. Just decided there wasn't enough time to do Toronto justice. We stopped in Cleveland and visited Great Lakes Science Center, which I highly recommend to anyone traveling thru the area. We also made a major stop in St. Louis and visited the Arch, Grant's Farm and the zoo. (We really like zoos!) Other than a few other minor stops, those are the highlights. Not enough time to do everything, but maybe another opportunity will come again someday. Thanks again for the suggestions. They really helped.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:58 PM
Paul

Sounds like an excellent trip!

Thanks for taking the time to give us your report.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:06 PM
doolin

I'm so glad you and your family had a good time. The Falls really are wonderful to see!!!
And thanks for writing after you got home..