Cooperstown NY and other sights

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Cooperstown NY and other sights

I am starting to plan a early summer trip to Cooperstown/Niagra Falls, NY - driving up from central New Jersey. This would be with my wife and two kids, ages 12 and 10.

I thought Howe Caverns would be a good stop along the way, but was looking for other tips on economical lodging in or near Cooperstown and Niagra Falls, good restaurants, fun activities for the kids, art museums, etc...

Thanks for any help you can offer...

neal
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:18 PM

Cooperstown itself has quaint B&Bs mostly - not the best for kids in the summer. Right off the interstate there are all sorts of chain hotels with pools. Don't make the mistake we did and wait too long to make reservations and be forced to stay in Utica - has to be one of the future ghost towns of America.

The Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown we anticipated as being a joke, but it was surprisingly interesting - out daughter who was 9 at the time loved it.

The kids will love Niagara Falls if you go there - enough tackiness plus the obvious natural wonder of the Falls to make everyone happy. We added Toronto onto our trip - something I would recommend if you have time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM

There's a Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp Resort at Crystal Lake that's just minutes from Cooperstown attractions. You can rent an air conditioned cabin. Great place with kids. The Lake Front Motel right in Cooperstown is also a good choice. This summer they are going to have a boat ride on the lake. There's also an on site restaurant. Reserve early.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:59 PM

Hopefully, it won't be a problem by the summer,and I dont mean to sound panic stricken, but Toronto is having having a real problem with SARS right now. A couple of hospitals have literally shut down, and there's many instances of quarantine. Unless US/Canadian health officials get a grip on this disease, I'm not sure I would venture into Canada unnecessarily. However, if things get better, as I hope they will, Niagara Falls and neighboring areas provide lots of things to do. Try a trip to Niagara On the Lake, about 25 minutes away. Great theatre (sometime there are child friendly shows, sometimes not), great shops and restaurants. There is a terrific butterfly conservatory (live butterflies) in bewteen Niagara Falls and NOTL. Wear bright colored clothes to attract the butterflies. Dont miss the maid of the mist boat ride which you can take from the US or Canadian side. You go right by the falls in a boat and get soaking wet. Its a beautiful view and lots of fun, especially on a hot day. Buffalo has a wonderful art musuem. I cant think of one in Niagara Falls US or Canada. NOTL has some small galleries. Buffalo is only about 20 minutes away from Niagara Falls. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is much nicer than the US and our US dollar goes far in Canada. Current exchange is about $1.00 US = $1.50 CDN.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:03 PM

Not sure if the kids would like it but I love the GlimmerGlass Opera House which is not too far from Cooperstown. And I second the recommendation for the Farmer's Museum. Plus the New York State Historical Society has a great site and the room that has all the busts of the Presidents is great. Thomas Jefferson stands out above the rest. Have fun. I love that area.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:20 PM

Near Howe's Cave is the Iroqois (Indian/NativeAmerican) Museum .. don't know if that would appeal or not.

Somewhat north of that area, in Little Falls, is a Best Western with an adjacent movie theater. If staying near the Erie Canal/Mohawk River might want to stop at any of the Locks, and see them operate.

Or see an 1800's Erie Canal village outside Rome NY. Utica has (had?) brewery tours of FX Matt Brewing Company and Proctor-Munson-Williams Art Museum.

Cooperstown has Ommalgong (sp?) Brewery tours & tasting
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

bump
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

ttt