Reload this Page >

What does "casual" in Santa Fe mean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:52 PM
kristina

I'll be visiting Santa Fe in November and can't wait to try some of the recommended restaurants like Geronimo's and Santacafe(any others I should know about?). The dress states casual. I'm just curious what "casual" is in Santa Fe, coming from LA where people where T-shirts and jeans to nice restaurants. Thanks for the help.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:58 PM
x

Nothing says casual like culottes.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:33 PM
travellyn

I think of Santa Fe "casual" as expensive jeans or a denim skirt, a blue chambray shirt, expensive boots, silver conchas(os?) on your belt, lots of other turquoise and silver.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:52 PM
leslie

Hi Kristina- my husband and I just vacationed in Santa Fe in August with my brother, his wife and my parents. It's becoming an annual trip for us- we love Santa Fe! We actually ate at Santacafe and Geronimo's as well as the Coyote Cafe. Geronimos was my favorite by far followed by Santacafe. I'd recommend Coyote Cafe for lunch instead of dinner- we just weren't as impressed at dinner but lunch was great. If you get homesick for the LA scene you might like to try the new martini bar in town (Swigs). It reminded me of an LA bar but actually seems out of place in Santa Fe (and at $15 a martini it adds up quick!). Regarding dress- the guys wore dress pants every night with casual short-sleve shirts (although it was Aug not Nov!) and the girls wore skirts or dress pants. Geronimo's is by far the nicest place and I'd personally feel very out of place there in jeans. We ate outside at Santacafe which felt more casual (don't miss the "hole" on your way to the bathroom!!- you'll see what I mean). All in all- I'd say sticking to dressy casual (and avoiding jeans) and you'll be just fine. Have a great time!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 03:00 PM
David

Kristina,

I pretty much agree with travellyn. Santa Fe casual is a more dressy casual than many other places I've been. I've met many locals down there who still get fairly dressed up when they go out for dinner. Lots of nice denims, suede, boots, etc.

Also, maybe someone else can chime in here but you might want to do a quick search on Santacafe. I think they may have changed hands in the not too distant past and I hear that they're not what they once were.

Anyone been there recently who can shed some light here?

Have fun...it's a great town!

Davidcs