Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do you pack for a 16 day Hawaiian vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be a charter member of overpackers annonymous. The last time our family of six went to Hawaii we stayed in a hotel and two condos. This time five of us are staying in hotels, so I won't bring the "stuff" I brought last time. I do bring my own Crystal Light. We like it and its "small". I also do laundry twice. What do you bring for clothes?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM

For the most part just t-shirts, shorts, swim trunks and sandals. A pair of hiking boots. A pair of dress shoes and a few shirts/pants for more formal dinners. That's about it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:17 AM
bonniebroad

I'll add to Fdecarlo's suggestions.... a cute little sundress for nice dinners, unless you are going to buy something along the lines of a muu-muu to wear at night (they have some very elegant, stylish dresses of this type now...) to wear at night. I always like to get at least one new one when I'm there. I like light-weight (100% cotton or linen) slacks and capris because I don't wear shorts out. Maybe a very light sweater for evenings, depending on where you're going to be at night (if for instance, you'll be in VNP on the Big Island at night.) And very comfy sandals and walking shoes...........

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:54 AM

WAY TOO MUCH!!! It's ridiculous how much I packed for my big trip a few years ago. I regretted every pound of excess baggage.
Now, I'd pack a few swimsuits, shorts and T shirts, some capri pants and cool tops for sight-seeing and one nicer outfit - linen pants or sundress. Beach shoes, tennis shoes and my Mephisto sandals. As usual, I ended up wearing the same items over and over again and didn't unpack at least half of what I drug around to three islands.
But, I'll always travel with my own snorkel bag and equipment. I use it as a carryon and I'm glad I have my own "stuff" with me.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:24 AM

Last year when my family went to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, my checked in luggage made it on the plane by the grace of American Airlines. I had seriously overpacked. Then again, hiking books take up a lot of room.

This year for Oahu, I'm determined to pack light. I plan on bringing shorts, cropped pants, various shirts, swimsuits, my linen sundress, a light linen jacket, sandals, tennis shoes, flip flops, my Lands End rain jacket that folds into nothing and that's about it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:35 AM

Hi Dawn,

I agree with everyone that light is better. I'll try to flush out what I would bring for 16 days (as a note, I went to Spain in February - needed warm, heavy bulky clothes - for 2 weeks and brought a 21" suitcase and a small backpack).

So, here goes - in a 21" suitcase and a small backpack - no checking luggage!:

3 swimsuits (they are small) and a pair of board shorts
4 pairs of shorts
6 tops (because they'll be compact)
2 pairs of linen or capri pants
2 sundresses
I have a wrap for the beach, I'd probably thrown that in too.
Shoes - sneakers, 2 pairs of sandals (1 for the beach, one for the pants/dresses).
Underwear for 1/2 the time

Other: cameras (I have a digital and a 35mm); the battery recharger for the digital camera; sunscreen; sunglasses; books/magazines to read on beach and traveling; about 1/2 the bathroom incidentals I would use at home (travel sizes, minimal makeup, and NO hairdryer - the hotels will have one); my cell phone; my Fodor's Hawaii travel guide and folder of papers - reservations, confirmations, articles on Hawaii etc, that I will throw away as I use them.

Hmmm...what else? My purse fits in my backpack, so that goes also...

I know you asked about clothes, but I thought being comprehensive might help you limit what you bring. If I didn't bring anything but what I listed above, I would be fine for 16 days and wouldn't have to check luggage.

Also remember - you can buy something there if you really need it!

Rule of thumb - pack what you think you need, take out 1/2 of that and leave it home. If you want to be really frugal about packing - take 1/2 of the 1/2 out and leave that home too!

Karen
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:46 AM

Why don't you just pack a couple of outfits to start, and plan on shopping for the rest? You can get some great surf clothes at Ala Moana Shopping Center. If you prefer discount shopping, you can go to Ross on Keeaumoku St. (near Ala Moana).
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:11 PM

Dawn...I have done just what Karen suggests for our last few trips to Hawaii and it works!! I pack then remove 1/2 of everything and I've never been caught short. Next I'll try her suggestion to take out 1/2 of 1/2 (that makes me nervous just thinking about it!). But as my husband always reminds me, there are stores in Hawaii!! Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the packing tips. I pretty much pack what Karen suggested but take more shoes and bathing suit coverups. As far as taking two outfits and shopping for the rest? Nope. I don't want to waste my time shopping for clothes to wear that I could have brought. Now a couple of muu'muu's, thats another thing.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Except for shoes I do tend to overpack so this time (BI in lare summer) I plan to go easy and get more stuff there. I have always brought back plenty of clothes that were never worn. This time no!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

I rarely return with any item I haven't worn; its just that I do laundry and could wear the things I bring more than once. I usually pack laundry tablets and dryer sheets; easy to carry. I also will bring only one pair of "slippahs". Those I do buy there.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:42 AM

DawnCt--
What is a laundry tablet? My youngest is extremely sensitive to detergents so I always carry my regular with me. A "tablet" sound so much more portable!

I always pack way too much. For some reason I actually think I'm going to change clothes for dinner and that almosts never happens. As a result I bring twice as much as I need. My daughter is awful--she hates sleeping in the same pj's two nights in a row.

On our first family trip to Europe several years ago, I packed so much I ended shipping a lot of it home. We were on foot the whole vacation and after a few days the suitcases just got ridiculous.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jayne. Look in the dry detergent section but Purex makes them and a few others. I have Purex left over from my last Hawaiian vacation. They come in a box but they are packaged within the box in sets of two. They are about 2 inches across and can fit in a zip lock bag and get tucked into the suitcase. If they crumble with moving, no harm done in the zip lock bag. A load takes two tablets. Its easier to transport, particularly island to island than detergent in any other form and if you are like me, you don't want to have to buy detergent every where you go.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:49 AM

As a frequent travler, I can pack easily for 14 days in a carry on. I've actually taught my teenaged daughters how to do so as well. That was a bit of a fight, but they are pro's now. It will serve them well when they travel professionally.

As long as you have access to washers and dryers, you dont need much. I wear the most bulky items (slacks and a jacket) on the plane and pack shorts and swimming wear in the carry on.