Search

what do to on a rainy day in Miami

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do to on a rainy day in Miami

Help,
My family will be in Miami Beach next week. The weather chanel is forcasting rain....my husband and my 3 yr old were planning on being on the beach for the most part, maybe go to the parrot jungle...now that it might rain, where're some good indoor places to go with a 3 year old?
Thanks a bunch!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:00 AM

It rarely rains for a full day, but in FL it will usually rain at least once sometime during the day...a shower lasting an hour, thus the forecast you are seeing. FL weathermen have the cushiest jobs around. They type up the same thing every day all summer long. "Highs' in the lower 90's. 60% chance of showers". Usually these will occur late afternoon...occasionally the pattern is reversed and you'll get it early morning and the rest of the day is fine.

Don't worry, they will be able to be on the beach most of the time if they want.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:18 AM

As long as there is no lightning, a little rain shouldn't ruin your outdoor activities. Of course, you'll probably want to step inside during a major downpour! But, getting a little wet is not a bad thing since it will be a warm rain. You'll only be cold if you go inside where the air conditioning is usually set at near Arctic temperatures.

Don't miss Parrot Jungle!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:11 AM

We called the rain our 4:00 ice cream break. Everyday for 5 days, it rained at 4 p.m. It generally lasted about 15 minutes.

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM

However, If you do find you want to have an outing for the 3 year old, My children love the Childrens Museum. It's right across the highway from Parrot Jungle. It's also completely indoors except for a small playground. Parrot Jungle by the way is mostly outdoors. The Miami Seaquarium is another attraction my kids love. It's located on Key Biscayne, but again is mostly an outdoor activity. Enjoy your stay. You might find yourselves after 4-5 days in the sun hoping for some rain!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I would like to re-emphasize what AustinTraveler said about lighting. Please get off the beach at the FIRST sign of it. If you see lighting or hear thunder, get off the beach immediately. More people are killed by lighting in Florida than anywhere else in the US. I had an aquaintance who was killed by lighting on the beach. The sky had just begun to cloud over and they had gathered their things and were walking in when he was struck and killed. It was not even raining.

Sorry, didn't mean to put a damper on things but forewarned is forearmed (or something like that.) Have fun on your trip!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice. We'll be heading to the beach (when it's not raining), checking out the parrot jungle, the children's discovery museum and the zoo.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM

ttt
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
GoTravel

Forcast for Miami for next week; very hot, very humid, very muggy and chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

If it rains, it probably will not last more than 20-30 minutes.

Also, while it may be raining inland, it can be sunny on the beach.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM

As you probably know by now, our first hurricane of the season is on its way. While it is not going to affect Miami directly, it will result in more rainfall than usual on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Unfortunately, June 1 to November 30 is hurricane season so it isn't the best time to plan outdoor visits.

As for the earlier poster . . . I think you meant "lightning," not "lighting." Our lamps are not dangerous.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM

LOL! Well at least I was consistent. Spelled it wrong every time.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

We had a great time. On the first day that I was there, it rained a little, but since I was there for a conference, it didn't matter. By the time my husband and child joined me(thursday), it was beautiful..hot and humid, but sunny. We ended up not going anywhere except hanging out at the beach and eating lots of good food. (by the way, loved the A la Folie on Espanola) On Sunday, it started to rain, but our flight was early afternoon, so it wasn't a big loss. Over all, great trip, wished we had more time.