What do in Miami for a few hours?

Oct 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

What do in Miami for a few hours?

Hi. I am flying into Miami for an overnight stay. I get into Miami at about 7am and leave the next morning at 8am. I am staying at the Airport hotel - is it worth the drive into the city or dinner at South beach - how far is the drive from the airport? Is it safe for a 30 year old female on her own at that time?
Oct 9th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Yup go to Miami Beach, IMO. Many restaurants and whatnot, and you'll have time for the beach etc.
Oct 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM

It's safe in South Beach. Stay at one of the hotels along the beach. You'll be able to have some drinks and enjoy the beach and meet a few people at the bars. We stayed at Winterhaven, which was on the street along the beach and inexpensive. You'll take a cab there from the airport, which can be 20-60 mins depending on traffic.
Oct 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM

It's about a 20 minute drive without traffic.

Totally safe for a 30 year old female. I lived there until I was 32.

The hotel at the airport is really old and tired. You may want to rethink and stay at one of the other airport hotels.

You might want to rent a car for the day. The cost will be less than a cab to and from the beach. You can always turn it in at the end of the night when you return from the beach. The Wyndham is immediately across the street from the Hertz. I've never stayed there but it gets good reviews on TripAdvisor.

From Hertz, make a left and then make a right onto Douglas (37th). Go under the overpass and make a left onto 836 (note, there is one toll). Follow that all the way east across the bridges, it will turn into 5th Street and you'll dead end onto Ocean Drive. There's a public garage between Washington and Collins (one block west of Ocean) about two blocks north of Fifth. It's a great place to park and walk to the beach or the cute stores along Collins.

My favorite restaurant is Shoji Sushi (love, love, love the Shishito peppers and the skirt steak marinated in sake and sweet soy). It's on Collins between 1st and 2nd.
Oct 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Hi Chocolat, I would not rent a car , simply follow the advice not to stay at the Hotel Airport, take a taxi into South Beach, stay there over night. Once you are in South Beach you do not need a car at all, and then you book for next morning another taxi or if you wish to spend less you can ask the hotel for the Shuttle to the airport and make an appointment. They will take you in time, only thing you will have to leave earlier that is all. Less money too.
In South Beach of course you can go to the beach, you can have lunch by the beach on Ocean Drive, or walk along Collins and do some shopping. You might as well walk along Lincoln Road. BTW a nice not expensive hotel is the Cadet Hotel convenient both for Lincoln and the Beach. It is not on the beach but it is short walk away.
Oct 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Of course you can use the Shuttle both ways.

Search this Thread