Search

What do I wear ?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2002, 10:54 AM
RP

What do I wear ?

Hi I have booked the hotels ,organised the flights , used this site to work out what to do (thanks all) but does that satisfy my family!!!. No!! what clothes do we need to take is my next problem. We are travelling through New England Boston -Bar Harbor -Quebec- Burlington -Lee- Cape Cod -Boston in July -august. any ideas is it Shorts and skimpy!!or wrap up warm and dry!! harassed husband ,father UK

Old May 25th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Maria

Temperature range: 50-95; weather range: brilliant sun to chilly, foggy rain. Best strategy: layers.

1 pr. each, shorts and slacks, and 1-2 skirts for wimmin. A denim jumper (wimmin again) will take you anywhere. Men, you can certain take a pair of bluejeans but a pair of khakis goes more places.

1-2 short sleeve shirts/jerseys; 1-2 longsleeve shirts/jerseys.

Nice sweater for restaurants; sweatshirt for recreation.

Windbreaker/shell/raincoat for bad weather. Umbrella if you like 'em. Hat if you prefer.

I love LL Bean's short trenchcoat -- goes everywhere, packs small.

Stop in Freeport and pick up what you forgot or didn't have and wish you did at LL Bean.

Old May 25th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Maria

PS: most hotels are air conditioned but many restaurants are not -- New Englanders are still under the illusion that it doesn't get hot there. It does. But it can go from a 95 degree day with an 86 night to a 65 degree day to a 50 degree night within the same two days.

Old May 25th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Ellen

I agree with Maria's packing list, thought I might add another top or two, and substitute shorts, slacks or capris for the skirts.

Please don't tell Mrs. RP to go out and buy a denim jumper. It will make her look like a suburban hausfrau. Forget the denim, it takes forever to dry when you wash it. Khakis for everyone! Skimpy tops will not be necessary and aren't appropriate for urban jaunts.

Otherwise, the advice you've gotten is accurate. I exchanged homes with a family from London for 3 weeks in late July to mid-August last year. They arrived in Boston to 95 degree heat and were just "shattered" by it. I would have advised them to spend those hot days in air-conditioning -- museums, malls, whatever.

It's true, many places are in denial about needing AC. But the ones that DO have AC frequently go overboard with it, so don't leave the hotel without a warmer layer, even if it's just a long-sleeved shirt. Also, by mid-August the evenings can get quite cool, especially up in Maine and Canada.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:52 AM
cap

Also (noting this is a UK father), jumper doesn't mean the same thing in US and UK. Over here a jumper is a sleeveless dress cut low in the front and around the arms, and worn over a t-shirt. Any kind of mix&match skirt and top will do.

The days will be warm and sunny but the nights can get quite cool. August in New England is like September elsewhere.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:07 PM
mark

Last year in the first 2 weeks of August it was 90-100 for several days on the Cape. Granted it was a heat wave but you really don't need all the layers and sweaters referred to above. A sweater or swatshirt would be appropriate but not many. (Remember you have to carry all this luggage). Also a light coat for people who get cold easily, like my wife, is appropriate.

The Cape is very casual. Unless you go to Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket nobody is paying attention to what you are wearing.

Also, this may only be a Canadian and French thing but do not bring Speedo style bathing suits (you know the man thong). Get a full sized American style bathing suit. Its much more pleasing to the eyes.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Pittsburgher

I thought a 'jumper' was the equivalent of an American sweater (pullover style) . . . in either case, I don't think a denim one would work.

And I would venture that August in New England is like February in coastal Georgia. .. all depends on one's perspective!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:23 AM
beth

Don't forget the bug spray, at least 35% DEET if you can stand it. Also, if you have shoppers with you and the need to pick up last minute clorhing, stop in at Kittery Maine. Wonderful outlet stores.
Beth