Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what coach seats do you prefer on flights to Japan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am holding reservations w/my 13 yr old son on a coach flight originating in D.C. thru Minneapolis to Narita airport/Tokyo. We have never been on a flight as long as the one from Minn. to Tokyo. The plane is a huge 747. Where do you prefer to sit in coach on a flight like that for such a long trip? Window seat so you can lean up against window to sleep? I thought we would get aisle-aisle so we can have a little extra leg room in the aisle, ge tup to walk easily, and still talk to each other across the aisle, but I am now thinking maybe sleep concerns are more important. What is your preference and why?
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:29 AM
emd
Original Poster

OOOOPS- I thoguht I was on the Asia board- my mistake- sorry.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Hi emd
Son flies back and forth once/twice a year, on coach. He always gets an aisle or seat in the front so he can stretch those long legs out. Sleep is important, but for that length of a flight, I would go for the stretching out and access to bathrooms..
I am hoping our flight over will be Business Class, I am working on the FF points
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:53 AM
emd
Original Poster

Hi Scarlett! I have been working on the FF maze on Continental and Northwest for the past week. If you need help navigating those FF awards to Japan, let me know and I will email you. I have posted on the Asia baord and mrwunrfl and others have been so helpful w/what my options are to different cities in Japan on different FF carriers, etc. I was finally able to get exactly what I wanted (2 NW flights on a 747 plane to Narita on the days I wanted) this a.m. w/helpful advice of the posters on the Asia board.
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:03 AM
jor

I pity the person who would get stuck in the isle seat with a 13 yr old in the window seat! A 13 yr old can not stay in one place for more than a nano-second. Get isle seats.
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:15 AM
emd
Original Poster

Hi jor! Long time no see. This is turning into a Freaky Friday reunion. I looked at www.seatguru.com (suggested by someone just now on Asia forum) and it actually gives you the configuration of evry plane on every airline and waht the pros and cons are of each seat number. Amazing.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:08 AM
jor

Hi emd. Next time I'm going to post a Fready Friday on FRIDAY. The weekend doesn't start on thursday!!!!! I looked up www.seatguru.com. looks like a good site for people like me with extra long legs.