Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What can I do during a 6 hour layover at Boston Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2024, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be returning from Europe and have a 6 hour layover at Boston Airport. I won't have checked luggage but will have a backpack and a carry on suitcase. Is that enough time to leave airport and be back in time?
There is a hotel connected that looks like it has nice grounds to walk around and a view of city? Maybe to just get some fresh air? I know if i leave i will need to go through security again. So that's a consideration.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 06:20 AM

Find a locker in the airport to stow your luggage. Uber or take the T (Boston's subway) to Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market for a stroll.

Boston T map: https://www.mbta.com/schedules/subway

From the airport, take a bus to the BLUE line's Airport stop, and take the BLUE line subway (2 stops) to the (New England) Aquarium. You'll be in a very pleasant waterfront park area. Walk across the busy street then there are the Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 08:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pretty sure there are no lockers at Logan.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes I looked it up and they said airport has no lockers or luggage storage.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 09:25 AM

Ah, sorry to hear about no lockers at the airport.
When I Googled "Logan Airport baggage storage", there were several options.
But I have no personal experience with any of them.
I hope someone who has used such a storage option can chime in.

Last edited by Reading54; Feb 27th, 2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 05:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Have a fresh seafood meal at Legal Seafood.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 04:55 AM

Airports don't have luggage storage for security reasons, anyone could just put a bomb in there with a timer and leave. i don't know of any airport that does. Sometimes private companies have a business where you check it and they store it off site, at least in Europe.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always look forward to layovers at Boston Logan so we can eat at Legal Seafood, lobster rolls!
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 12:19 PM

I would take my bags and grab a cab to Santarpios Pizza in Eastie and order a cheese and garlic pizza and sausage with peppers and bread. But that's just how I roll.

https://www.santarpiospizza.com

Last edited by Inakauaidavidababy; Feb 29th, 2024 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Have a fresh seafood meal at Legal Seafood.
Avoid Legal Seafood at Logan airport at all costs. My wife got food poisoning there several years ago and then I got it too at the same location a few years later in 2022. It’s not as fresh as other locations. Trust me, as one who lives on an island I know fresh seafood. That being said Logan hasn’t had storage lockers for years now. Not much to do in and around Logan to fill 6 hours and lord knows it’s the absolute worst airport in existence, yes, even worse than my hometown airport, Idlewild, I mean JFK.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 03:30 PM

If it’s good weather. I’d go to the Boston Public Garden and walk around. If the swan boats are running, maybe go for a ride on one. I think there’s a Legal Seafood within walking distance. I may be in the minority, but I was not impressed with Fanueil Hall.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happy_traveler_too
Avoid Legal Seafood at Logan airport at all costs. My wife got food poisoning there several years ago and then I got it too at the same location a few years later in 2022. It’s not as fresh as other locations. Trust me, as one who lives on an island I know fresh seafood. That being said Logan hasn’t had storage lockers for years now. Not much to do in and around Logan to fill 6 hours and lord knows it’s the absolute worst airport in existence, yes, even worse than my hometown airport, Idlewild, I mean JFK.
Thanks!
I have a layover at JFK on the way there but under 3 hours, then on the way back 6 hours in Boston. The only other choice was a flight with a 1.5 hour layover but I was worried that would not be enough time coming off an international flight.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 11:56 AM
yk

6 hours is plenty of time to go into Boston, since Logan airport is so close. In terms of luggage, have you looked into Bounce? Many cities now have private businesses that will hold your luggage for a fee. I did that in NYC using Bounce.

My suggestion would be:
Take the airport shuttle to Blue Line Airport Station
Take Blue Line to Aquarium station
Use Bounce and drop off your luggage for a few hours
At Aquarium, you can take a walk along the harbor, walk along the Rose Kennedy Greenway, get a bite from MANY good eateries around there, including a Legal Seafood right by the Aquarium.
Walk over to North End to get some cannoli
Fetch your bag and reverse the process back to the airport

Do you have Global Entry? TSA pre-check? If you have Global Entry, getting out of Logan is a breeze, esp without checked luggage. It will take you no longer than 10 minutes through immigration and customs. The same is true for returning to Logan. Every time I have TSA pre-check, it takes < 10 minutes to go through security.

If you don't, I would say give allocate 30 minutes each? You'll still have at least 2 hours in the city, and much better option than mulling around in the airport, unless you have access to airport lounges.