Reload this Page >

What are the best hotels in LA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:38 AM
June

We have a reservation at the Westin Century Plaza but I was told it is passe and mostly a business hotel. Is there another place that is upscale for a 2 night stopover in August?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:53 AM
Kevin

Do you mean downtown? Or in the metro area?
The Peninsula, Four Seasons, L'Hermitage, St. Regis and Ritz Carltons are all outstanding hotels. Downtown is really geared toward business style hotels, not for tourists and luxury seekers.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
toldham

I would vote for the bel-air hotel (in bel air) or one of the hotels at the beach--shutters, miramar, etc

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Gayle

The Peninsula is our favorite for large and very well appointed rooms, marble baths with big tubs and separate showers, a rooftop pool and spa, a great lobby bar and great service. The location is terrific as it's in Beverly Hills and easily walkable to Neimans, Saks and the boutiques in the area as well as some very good restaurants.

I do agree the Bel Air is very special with exquisite grounds, but it's a bit secluded in terms of location. It's very romantic and very upscale.

The Four Seasons is also lovely but not walkable to anything. Same with L'Hermitage. Big attitude at the bar at The Four Seasons.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:52 PM
jan

how's the mondrian?rooms,location

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Gayle

A very good friend of mine (whose judgement I trust), just returned from L.A. They were booked at The Mondrian for 3 nights and left after 1. They said the rooms were so small, you could barely walk around the bed. They asked for another room and were told that was all that was available. They switched hotels. They said the location was OK.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:36 AM
vick

jan - check out the Standard.it may not be the best in l.a. but it's trendy like Mondrian.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:02 AM
michele

Beverly Hills Hotel (right on Sunset-gorgeous), also the Beverly Wilshire (Wilshie Boulevard in BH--you can walk around BH easily here). Agree with Bel-Air; lovely and secluded.

Do you need a downtown hotel? I'd try Checkers. Small boutique style.

The Mondrian staff has attitude. The Standard isn't luxurious, but is quite trendy. If you like old atmospheric places, try either the Marmont (Sunset) or The Roosevelt ( in Hollywood).