Manhattan Luxury Hotels?

Search

Manhattan Luxury Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manhattan Luxury Hotels?

My understanding is that the Waldorf is more than a little past its prime and the Mandarin Oriental is the current standard bearer for over-the-top luxury. Is this correct? Does anyone have any suggestions for a very nice, relaxing luxury hotel (around $1200 - $1500 per night in early November) for a long weekend "holiday at home?" Uptown or downtown, east side or west.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 04:12 PM

We LOVED our stay last year at the Sofitel. It was centrally located and our suite was sweet.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM

New York has several top-notch luxury hotels - some stark/modern - like the Mandarin Oriental - some very luxurious/traditional - like the Ritz Carlton.

(I have done 2 meetings at the former and the service - esp the efforts of the concierge to meet the needs of extremely high maintenance guests - was extraordinary. Also - great restaurants and bars in the building.)

For that amount you should get either a deluxe room with view or a suite.

Do you have a preference for style, location and view?

(The Sofitel is quite pleasant - but defiitely not in the same luxury category.)
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

We live in an UWS pre-war, so a downtown modern hotel might be a nice change of pace. It's our 10th anniversary and we can't leave town at that time, so we are taking the money we would have spent on an anniversary trip and splurging on a decadent weekend here.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM

Trump International is nice, and the location is good.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM

I'd go with one of the traditionals, like the Carlyle (upper East Side), or, one of the newer midtown ones like the Peninsula or Four Seasons. If you really want to feel like you are away, the Ritz Carlton at Battery Park City has lovely rooms.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:19 PM

To get away from the UWS I definitely agree on the Ritz Battery Park City. It feels like a whole different universe. Everything new and great views of the harbor - esp from the tres trendy rooftop bar.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM

I'd suggest the St. Regis or The Palace.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:16 PM

I think the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park recco is an excellent one, the rooms and views are superb. Some other thoughts are:

The Inn at Irving Place in Gramercy Park, for some pre-Civil war luxury. I have not stayed in the rooms, but have eaten and had tea there and have always thought it was charming and luxurious at the same time. Take a look at http://www.innatirving.com/

60 Thompson in Soho with fresh modern rooms, in a great neighbourhood of shops and restaurants, with a very good Thai restaurant and a wonderful rooftop bar open to the sky. You could get one of their duplex suites. Take a look at http://www.60thompson.com

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:45 AM

I guess a lot depends on what you want to do (location). I don't know that the MO is "the standard bearer." I think Trump, Four Seasons, St. Regis and RC may be just as good in the service dept. if not better. Here are the options I'd include:

Mandarin Oriental
Four Seasons
Trump
Ritz Carlton Central Park
The Lowell (all suites with working fireplaces)
RC Battery Park

The Sofitel is great, but doesn't compete with these. Check out the amenities at each and see which appeal to you. Some have pools, spas etc. some not.

Happy anniversary!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:46 AM

Forgot, in Soho, check the Mercer as well as 60 Thompson. Don't know either will come even close to the others in luxury, but might be a fun location.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

IoC - While I certainly don't owe you an explanation of why I asked the question, here goes. What I know of most hotels in NYC is limited to the reception spaces. When my family or friends come to visit, they either stay with us or a hotel in our neighborhood, like the Lucerne. Dragging a two-year old around to hotels all over Manhattan so I can ask questions or look at rooms would be a nightmare, for me and my daughter, so I thought I would ask the question here, of people who might have stayed in some of these places or might know of one or two that I might not have thought of, like the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park. Good enough?

For those who gave me some very helpful suggestions of places, thank you very much.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Are there no babysitters in NYC?
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
GoTravel

Are you kidding? The St. Regis is the standard to which I measure all other hotels.

My second choice in no particular order:

The Four Seasons
The Pierre
The Mandarin Oriental
The Carlyle
The Penninsula

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
GoTravel

bgans, you realize the NYC Marathon is the first weekend in November which will drive already expensive hotel rooms through the roof?

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel - I scheduled my wedding around the marathon (I ran it the year before and friends were running it that year), so, yes. Thanks for checking - we are looking at the weekend after.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
GoTravel

Don't feel bad, I had to schedule my wedding around University of South Carolina football games!

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM

I've stayed at the Four Seasons, the Palace, the Waldorf and the Trump. You're right about the Waldorf. Four Seasons and Trump rooms are better than the Palace rooms (and the Palace Towers rooms are better than the rest of the Palace...)
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM

Definitely the St. Regis, Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM

bgans, what do you do when you have to go grocery shopping or run any other errand? It isn't like you have to visit every hotel in New York. Narrow your search down to three and visit those hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -