What are people wearing these days...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to evening performances on Broadway? How about the ballet at Lincoln Center? I need to get packing!

Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Business casual is fine if you are not bringing anything nicer for a special dinner or similar.

If you are asking about dressing up - as in evening wear - no, no one will wear that except for a gala opening of the Met or similar (and then only those in the expensive seats.

If you are asking about the same tee and jeans you have been trekking around town in all day - probably not a good idea, although some people will wear anything.

IMHO clean and neat is mandatory.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:23 AM
J62

In my experience, clean and neat is no longer the norm for Broadway... regrettably it seems to be closer to the same logo tee, baseball hat, and jeans you've been trekking around town in all day.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Will I be out of place at the ballet in a black cocktail dress?
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Unfortunately, theatre goers do wear just about anything these days. Jeans are very common and last week a man seated near me was wearing what looked like bathing trunks.

Lincoln Center crowd tends to be a bit more dressed up, at the opera at least. (I rarely go to ballet)

You will fit right in with dark slacks and a nice top. My usual get up is black jeans and a cotton shirt, with leather shoes. You do not have to go back to the hotel and change.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:32 AM

No, you will not be out of place in a cocktail dress. You will look better dressed than most, I am sure!
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:43 AM

The last time we were at Carnegie Hall the man in front of us was wearing bib overalls.
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Leaving my overalls at home this trip
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:52 PM

My kids will be glad to hear jeans are acceptable. I, on the other hand, am disappointed. I like them to dress up a little occasionally. Maybe I'll just keep that little bit of information to myself. How about dress code for tea at the Plaza? My 14 year old will be mortified if she appears overdressed and out of place.
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:23 AM

There is no way I would wear a cocktail dress to the theater or ballet - unless I had just come from a very early cocktail party where that was required.

I recall having dinner in a nice restaurant in Dallas as part of a business trip and a group of older women came in wearing what we assume was costume. Bull length ball gowns, tiaras and a bunch of what I assume was junk jewelry. Turned out it was all real and they were eating before going to a formal ball. Looked really weird to me and not what one would ever wear in NY (except to a formal charity ball or similar - never to a restaurant).
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate your insight, nytraveler. Frankly, I would prefer not to bring more formal dress, to lighten the load.
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Check my new thread "RIP Jane Little" She was a classy lady.
If you click on the link you will see what she wore for her performances.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:08 PM

The bottom line is that you can wear just about anything to both of those venues. Again, I am familiar with the Met opera, not the ballet, but there are plenty of women in the audience that dress up. Cocktail dress would be fine if you want to bring it, but certainly not necessary. I'm not even sure people here use the term "cocktail dress" any longer but I imagine I know what you mean. I've even seen ball gowns at the opera but, as noted, these are not as common and I've not seen them at the theatre.

When I mentioned jeans, in this case I am referring to black jeans that fit well and are hemmed and not torn, although you see ripped blue jeans all over the place as well.

Please do not worry too much about packing. this city is so diverse and there are so many tourists that you can see everything and anything..even the naked cowboy!!
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for you insight too. I promise I'm not worried.